New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Post by The Meat man »

Thunderpants wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am
I don't know if the Kelly McCann Canis is part of this bunch but it's on Knifecentre's list of upcoming Spydercos.. and looking at it broke my achy-breaky heart.
Why one earth did they ruin a really interesting knife with that diabolical g10/carbon fiber laminate? This is the worst possible handle material. Plain G10 would be better, Micarta would be vastly better. CF laminate is always a total deal breaker and I have never heard anyone express affection for it so what it's doing on a 200 dollar knife is a total mystery.
Why don't you like the laminate? Aesthetics?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Thunderpants

Re: New reveal...Zwear/micarta Shaman, s90v Native Chief, k390 Seki series, Slysz Swayback! So much to love.

Post by Thunderpants »

Never liked CF - aesthetics but also the weirdness of using materials that will last for thousands and thousands of years, long after the blade and eveything else has decayed. It just doesn't seem like a material we should be using on trivial things like knives. Spaceships, maybe.
And the whole laminate thing reminds me of the time I bought a solid oak bookcase on ebay, drove 200 miles to pick it up, only to find it was top quality chipboard with a plastic oak-look veneer peeling off of it... boy was I happy!
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’m definitely getting the K390 Delica, that’s top of the list for me.
I’ll try to get the Zwear Shaman (my first Shaman), hopefully they made plenty to go around. If not, I’ll try to grab a Rex45 version.

Other than that, I’ll be getting the Tanto pm2 & Native 5 Salt LC200n Serrated.
Those will be my 4 knives for the year.

The Swayback is beautiful but I don’t get on with titanium handles knives. That SpyOpera is really cool too.
Almost everything in this reveal is awesome.
Spyderco rocks! :spyder:
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Thunderpants wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 pm
Never liked CF - aesthetics but also the weirdness of using materials that will last for thousands and thousands of years, long after the blade and eveything else has decayed. It just doesn't seem like a material we should be using on trivial things like knives. Spaceships, maybe.
And the whole laminate thing reminds me of the time I bought a solid oak bookcase on ebay, drove 200 miles to pick it up, only to find it was top quality chipboard with a plastic oak-look veneer peeling off of it... boy was I happy!
Carbon fiber as a composite actually won't last that long. Plastics from water bottles and such will be around long after most carbon fiber composite has deteriorated and started crumbling away. Especially if exposed to sunlight. I have seen carbon fiber splitters and wings (both "dry" carbon and standard epoxy coated pieces) suffer significantly on race cars in short order. They surely won't last forever.

Also, you'll be happy to know that none of the knives in this reveal have laminate scales. The CF/s90v knives made in Golden use peel ply carbon fiber that is all carbon fiber through and through.

So go ahead and snag them! Haha
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Thunderpants wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:26 am
CF laminate is always a total deal breaker and I have never heard anyone express affection for it so what it's doing on a 200 dollar knife is a total mystery.
I like the stuff on my Rhino and Schempp Bowie. Nice looks and lots of grip without being abrasive like peel-ply G10. Next best thing to micarta.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

yowzer wrote:I like the stuff on my Rhino and Schempp Bowie
I ain't going to deny it, those are some awesome looking knives - but to me they'd be even awesomer with micarta!
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote: you'll be happy to know that none of the knives in this reveal have laminate scales.
Spyderco's own page about the Canis contain the bone-chilling line "The ergonomic handle features peel-ply-textured carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales"
Heck, it's not the end of the world. Taking a second look at the new knives on the horizon, there is more than enough to keep me (and my wallet) happy, namely the Swayback and Spyopera (Micarta!!) as well as a galaxy of K390 beauties. I never got round to buying a Delica so maybe now's the time...
Anyway, a ton of nice Spydies rolling in.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So, as stated earlier I preordered a DragonFly II in K390
When should I expect Knife Centee to actually get them?
Within the month of May?
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Thunderpants wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:28 am
yowzer wrote:I like the stuff on my Rhino and Schempp Bowie
I ain't going to deny it, those are some awesome looking knives - but to me they'd be even awesomer with micarta!
AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote: you'll be happy to know that none of the knives in this reveal have laminate scales.
Spyderco's own page about the Canis contain the bone-chilling line "The ergonomic handle features peel-ply-textured carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales"
Heck, it's not the end of the world. Taking a second look at the new knives on the horizon, there is more than enough to keep me (and my wallet) happy, namely the Swayback and Spyopera (Micarta!!) as well as a galaxy of K390 beauties. I never got round to buying a Delica so maybe now's the time...
Anyway, a ton of nice Spydies rolling in.

Good catch, I didn’t even see the canis in the reveal. Much less the text in the description!