Li'l Temperance 3: A (not so) li'l review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Li'l Temperance 3: A (not so) li'l review

Post by vivi »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:24 pm
Got one for my collection some weeks ago.

IMG_20220121_102519_copy_768x1024.jpg
One of the coolest models Spyderco ever released. Ergonomics felt like I took a ball of play dough and squished it into a knife handle. Don't think I've ever handled a knife of that size that felt so perfect in my grip.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 am
austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:24 pm
Got one for my collection some weeks ago.

IMG_20220121_102519_copy_768x1024.jpg
One of the coolest models Spyderco ever released. Ergonomics felt like I took a ball of play dough and squished it into a knife handle. Don't think I've ever handled a knife of that size that felt so perfect in my grip.
I wish Spyderco would reboot the OG Lil Temp, green handle and all just a better clip. I found a PE Leaf at a gun shop here and sold it to a forum member only because the clip just didn’t work. The Lil Temp revisions just aren’t as cool as the orig
vivi

Post by vivi »

Same way I felt about it. I tried to EDC an original leaf Lil Temp, and loved everything besides the clip. I have not tried a 3 so I've got nothing against it, but I'd love to see a sprint of the original with a modern hourglass clip.
:unicorn
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:11 pm
Hi ASF,

Good find. Rare piece. The original design did not work for all 4 grips. That's why I refined the design. The new design will work for all 4 grips.

sal
Thank you Sal,

i also like it.
Maybe i find also a leaf blade sometime.

Regards
ASF
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

Are there supposed to be 4 PB washers around the pivot on this model? If so, why?

I took my new one, (old stock), apart, and found 4 washers in there. I cleaned the action, lubed it, and put it back together with 2 washers, around the pivot. The action is a bit smoother now. Ymmv
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sup3rnaut wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:55 pm
Are there supposed to be 4 PB washers around the pivot on this model? If so, why?

I took my new one, (old stock), apart, and found 4 washers in there. I cleaned the action, lubed it, and put it back together with 2 washers, around the pivot. The action is a bit smoother now. Ymmv
I do not know if all LT3s produced have 4 PB washers, but mine has 4 as well. If I had to guess, the use of 4 washers instead of 2 could be due to a lack of individual washers of the exact thickness necessary to strictly maintain tolerances (either dimensional or functional, or even both), hence the substitution of 2 thinner washers for 1 thicker washer.

I don't know how long you've had your new old stock LT3, but in my case, it took disassembly, tuning, cleaning, and about a month of regular (hard-ish) use as a work knife for my LT3 to feel broken-in, but when it did, it vaulted to the top of my favourite work folder list. I did not think to reduce the number of washers, however, as I don't know what the long-term implications of doing so are as far as the knife's function. But as you say, YMMV and it's simple enough to put the extra 2 washers back in if things get a little loose as the contact surfaces of the knife's mechanisms wear in over time.
sup3rnaut

Post by sup3rnaut »

zuludelta wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:55 am
sup3rnaut wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:55 pm

I do not know if all LT3s produced have 4 PB washers, but mine has 4 as well. If I had to guess, the use of 4 washers instead of 2 could be due to a lack of individual washers of the exact thickness necessary to strictly maintain tolerances (either dimensional or functional, or even both), hence the substitution of 2 thinner washers for 1 thicker washer.

I don't know how long you've had your new old stock LT3, but in my case, it took disassembly, tuning, cleaning, and about a month of regular (hard-ish) use as a work knife for my LT3 to feel broken-in, but when it did, it vaulted to the top of my favourite work folder list. I did not think to reduce the number of washers, however, as I don't know what the long-term implications of doing so are as far as the knife's function. But as you say, YMMV and it's simple enough to put the extra 2 washers back in if things get a little loose as the contact surfaces of the knife's mechanisms wear in over time.
Thank you for the comprehensive response! I’m new here, but I really like this community. 👍

I’ll keep an eye on the action of my Lil Temp3. So far it seems to operate just fine using 2 washers. The action is tight, but I can still flick the knife open with my thumb or middle finger. Closing it one handed is still a bit of a challenge, (I can do it, but have to use a lot of wrist).

However, I read Sal’s post about the lack of comp lock refinement on this model, so that makes sense.

I’ll update this thread, once I’ve had a chance to see how this one breaks in. I just received it on the 24th, so it’s only been a few days.
Croix

Post by Croix »

Spyderco fans,

I want to add to this thread by saying, I really like my LT3 SE. I received it about a week ago and the action is great. I really like having a compression lock on an FRN model. The size and weight are excellent for this knife's intended purpose.

I rotate a lot of knives. My most used Spyderco knives are the Shaman SE, Paramilitary 2, Military, and Stretch 2XL
lightweight. So for me, the LT3 feels like nice blend of the Shaman and PM2. I HIGHLY recommend this knife to anyone who loves those models.

Lastly, I wanted to thank Gail Glesser for the great hospitality at the Factory Outlet Store in July, the EDM cutouts, and showing my family the Zebra picture.
RKD

Post by RKD »

Question for Sal - as the designer of the LT3 do you prefer SE or PE for self defense and EDC?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear RKD:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
RKD

Post by RKD »

Thank you Michael.
sal

Post by sal »

RKD wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:50 pm
Question for Sal - as the designer of the LT3 do you prefer SE or PE for self defense and EDC?
Both have advantages, and disadvantages, but sharp is the key. Don't use the knife for anything that will damage the edge.

sal
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Now in K390. Yay. I’m getting one of these.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Guts

Post by Guts »

Mrj wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:34 pm
Now in K390. Yay. I’m getting one of these.
Heck yeah. Just saw the reveal! Might swap the K390 blade into my G10 model. Hopefully that'll work.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Do I need Three Lil’ Temp 3’s?

Do I?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My local shop had the SE half price- meaning I walked out with a BNIB SE for $99. I am digging it, having cut anything since I haven’t gotten home yet. I normally don’t like comp locks but the lack of free swinging blade is a major plus for me
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If you're asking us, the answer is probably yes.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

You’re probably right.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

What's the story on these Lil' Temp 3's at Hand-Tools.com? Are they real Spyderco?
https://www.hand-tools.com/product-deta ... RK-SC69GP3

I called and spoke to the lady. I think she said these are listed on their website but the order is fulfilled from a different dealer. Not really sure what that means but I can't find any other G10 models anywhere.
- Richard
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't know anything about that website, but I can't see any reason they wouldn't be real. I'd get the FRN LW though. You can get them from dealers you already know.