I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: I'm reticent to buy a knife made in Taiwan.

Post by SF Native »

dplafoll wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SF Native wrote: The skills in the us are not the question, it's the cost of those skills.
I just want to make it clear. Taichung made knives are not inexpensive.
SF Native wrote: The golden models are nice but a little more bare bones.
I love this definition.
I think that's a bit of a generality. You can get several Taichung models under $150 (BHQ prices): Squarehead, Dog Tag, Chaparral, Sage 1, Sage 3, Sage 5, GB2, Puukko. If you define "inexpensive" as <$100 you have a point. But it's also correct that the Golden, and Japanese LW, models are more basic than most Taichung knives. Spyderco definitely seems to use the Taichung OEM as their premium facility. But considering how good some of those models are I don't think <$150 is outrageous.
You are correct that none of these knives are cheap. I have been trying to compare prices on similar models made in Golden versus Taichung. There is almost no overlap. I think the closest I could find would be the advocate (Taichung) and the fluted ti native (Golden). They both have textured ti scales and are similar size. Made in Golden is $250 and Taichung is $220. This is a rough comparison and I would think the flipper with framelock of the advocate is more expensive to make than the native's backlock. So, I estimate the cost difference to be $30-$50 depending on where it's made. Sound reasonable?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I will also add this. Not only are the Spyderco Taichung Taiwan knives excellent, but, I have personally spoken with some of the knife-knowledgeable and savvy folks in Taiwan and they are very and I mean very proud and glad of their heritage of knife production. Both for diving and other sporting knives. They look at making quality knives like the Japanese do. I recently purchased a fixed blade diving knife made in Taichung and it is very excellent stainless steel. Infact, Sal, what would be very cool, if you were ever up to it, depending on whether you considered it to be a good investment or not: It would be great to see a Caspian Salt sprint made in Taichung, perhaps from Lc200N or some other stainless that had great edge-holding capacity.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SF Native wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SF Native wrote: The skills in the us are not the question, it's the cost of those skills.
I love this definition.
I think that's a bit of a generality. You can get several Taichung models under $150 (BHQ prices): Squarehead, Dog Tag, Chaparral, Sage 1, Sage 3, Sage 5, GB2, Puukko. If you define "inexpensive" as <$100 you have a point. But it's also correct that the Golden, and Japanese LW, models are more basic than most Taichung knives. Spyderco definitely seems to use the Taichung OEM as their premium facility. But considering how good some of those models are I don't think <$150 is outrageous.
You are correct that none of these knives are cheap. I have been trying to compare prices on similar models made in Golden versus Taichung. There is almost no overlap. I think the closest I could find would be the advocate (Taichung) and the fluted ti native (Golden). They both have textured ti scales and are similar size. Made in Golden is $250 and Taichung is $220. This is a rough comparison and I would think the flipper with framelock of the advocate is more expensive to make than the native's backlock. So, I estimate the cost difference to be $30-$50 depending on where it's made. Sound reasonable?
For the record, Sal has said on several occasions that making knives in Taichung is not done to save money. It's no cheaper than making them in Golden since the blade steel and some other raw materials are shipped there from the US.. The models that are made in Taichung are made there because, even with the new addition to Spyderco's factory, Golden simply doesn't have the production capacity to make them and no other maker has the skill and equipment to do the precision machining necessary for may of the models they produce. They''re also far more willing to try new things than some of Spyderco's other makers.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They did take on the task of 3D CNC machining titanium for the Nirvana. That's not exactly easy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Evil D wrote:They did take on the task of 3D CNC machining titanium for the Nirvana. That's not exactly easy.
Exactly. That was a huge manufacturing challenge. The Taichung facility takes on the tough manufacturing challenges and executes them beautifully. Another example is the gentle radius in the Slysz Bowie Ti handle. It probably doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but that is actually a ridiculously hard thing to do with consistency in a manufacturing environment.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Xplorer wrote:It probably doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but that is actually a ridiculously hard thing to do with consistency in a manufacturing environment.
That's manufacturing in general. People have no idea how complicated it is to make the world around them. I used to work in polyethylene extrusion and a simple plastic bag requires so much technology and multi million dollar machines to make and we all just take it for granted. Then when one blemish makes it through QC it's an outrage.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The Deacon wrote:
SF Native wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
bh49 wrote:
I love this definition.
For the record, Sal has said on several occasions that making knives in Taichung is not done to save money. It's no cheaper than making them in Golden since the blade steel and some other raw materials are shipped there from the US.. The models that are made in Taichung are made there because, even with the new addition to Spyderco's factory, Golden simply doesn't have the production capacity to make them and no other maker has the skill and equipment to do the precision machining necessary for may of the models they produce. They''re also far more willing to try new things than some of Spyderco's other makers.
I stand corrected. I have not read that before. I figured they were a bit less expensive made in Taiwan but maybe not. Thanks for letting me know.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote: For the record, Sal has said on several occasions that making knives in Taichung is not done to save money. It's no cheaper than making them in Golden since the blade steel and some other raw materials are shipped there from the US.. The models that are made in Taichung are made there because, even with the new addition to Spyderco's factory, Golden simply doesn't have the production capacity to make them and no other maker has the skill and equipment to do the precision machining necessary for may of the models they produce. They''re also far more willing to try new things than some of Spyderco's other makers.
This. ^^^

For what it's worth, I recall being a little standoffish towards the Taichung-made Spydercos when they first came out. I mistakenly assumed the quality would be lower than my beloved Seki and Golden-made models. It wasn't until after I purchased a few Taichung models that I realized my error. Truly, the quality and fit and finish is exceptional on all of the Taichung models that I've purchased thus far.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 425KRS,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
carl3989

Post by carl3989 »

dplafoll wrote:
bh49 wrote:
I love this definition.
Thank you for that useful list. I just ordered the Squarehead because I like gadgets.