Spyderco 2017 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cangokaw

Re: Spyderco 2017 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Post by cangokaw »

Is the new stretch 2 frn linerless?
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

cangokaw wrote:Is the new stretch 2 frn linerless?
No, it still has steel liners.
First evidence is the blade length/weight ratio, 3.45" to 3.7 oz, that looks very comparable to Endura 4's 3.75" to 3.6 oz, which has nested steel liners. Plus Stretch does have a wider blade, which makes sense for a tiny bit of extra weight.
Second, from the GPK video, we can see here there are two layers clearly not homogeneous as the FRN handle.
Only viable explanation that I can think of is steel liners.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

funghiman wrote:
First evidence is the blade length/weight ratio, 3.45" to 3.7 oz, that looks very comparable to Endura 4's 3.75" to 3.6 oz, which has nested steel liners. Plus Stretch does have a wider blade, which makes sense for a tiny bit of extra weight.
Second, from the GPK video, we can see here there are two layers clearly not homogeneous as the FRN handle.
'

is there finally jimping on the Stretch? I mean the handle.

Only thing I hate about Spydercos, and which is partly why I like the Native and Manix so much, is the lack of jimping. Need more jimping.
funghiman

Post by funghiman »

tripscheck'em wrote:is there finally jimping on the Stretch? I mean the handle.

Only thing I hate about Spydercos, and which is partly why I like the Native and Manix so much, is the lack of jimping. Need more jimping.
I don't see any in the video. And I don't think there's need for any, with the already perfect ergo of a Stretch. Excessive jimping on the handle only create potential hot spots. Just IMO though.
:spyder: Para2 XHP  :spyder: Para2 S110V  :spyder: Para2 S35VN  :spyder: Para2 CF S90V
:spyder: Manix2 LW S110V  :spyder: Manix2 Exclusive  :spyder: Dodo Sprint
:spyder: UK Penknife Safety Orange  :spyder:UK Penknife Rescue Orange
:spyder: Perrin PPT  :spyder: Perrin PPT Sprint  :spyder: Positron  :spyder: Positron S35VN
:spyder: Slysz Bowie  :spyder: Ferid K2  :spyder: Sage5  :spyder: Sprig
:spyder: Junior  :spyder: R Nishijin  :spyder: Rock Lobster  :spyder: Urban Wharncliffe
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

At some dealers now (post #1 updated):
  • ParaMilitary2 CPM-S30V SpyderEdge Black G-10 (USA)
  • Para3 CPM-S30V ComboEdge Black G-10 (USA)
  • Stretch2 VG-10 Lightweight Black FRN (Japan)
  • Manbug H-1 SpyderEdge Sheepsfoot Yellow FRN (Japan)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

funghiman wrote:

Possibly threaded steel inserts for the clip screws, but I think you're right based on the weight.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

yes has linners, got confirmed by spyderco directly.
i was confused because no mention of liners in 2017 catalog.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Why are only half of Spydercos pointy these days? Drives me crazy having to take all my knives to a belt sander to give them tips. I was planning to buy an H1 Manbug but that 90 degree angle tip....why? On a big knife I get it, you might be using it on aboat and drop it and don't want to stab yourself (That's never going to apply to me, I just want a good tip...but it makes sense to me). But a keychain knife? Just give it a useful tip. 95% of what keychain knives are for is poking something open with the tip.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:Why are only half of Spydercos pointy these days? Drives me crazy having to take all my knives to a belt sander to give them tips. I was planning to buy an H1 Manbug but that 90 degree angle tip....why? On a big knife I get it, you might be using it on aboat and drop it and don't want to stab yourself (That's never going to apply to me, I just want a good tip...but it makes sense to me). But a keychain knife? Just give it a useful tip. 95% of what keychain knives are for is poking something open with the tip.
Complete agreement. A Wharn, Hawkbill, or Reverse S would have been exquisite
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

No Salt2 in all Black?
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Vivi wrote:Why are only half of Spydercos pointy these days? Drives me crazy having to take all my knives to a belt sander to give them tips. I was planning to buy an H1 Manbug but that 90 degree angle tip....why? On a big knife I get it, you might be using it on aboat and drop it and don't want to stab yourself (That's never going to apply to me, I just want a good tip...but it makes sense to me). But a keychain knife? Just give it a useful tip. 95% of what keychain knives are for is poking something open with the tip.

I'm adding the H1 Manbug to the two other Spyderco on my list for this year.

Not all knives are for all people thankfully. I gave my mom a Ladybuy a number of years ago, and despite the name, this would make a great gift for a lady as well.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Anyone have a idea when the raffir noble chap is coming? I'm patiently awaiting this beauty after I just found out I'm #1 in line on the preorder :D
Josh
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

At dealers now (post #1 updated):
  • Native5 Maxamet Lightweight Stone Gray FRCP (USA)
  • Manix2 CPM-S30V BackLock Black G-10 (USA)
  • Military CPM-M4 Natural G-10 BladeHQ (USA)

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:
Complete agreement. A Wharn, Hawkbill, or Reverse S would have been exquisite
I'm going to order a ladybug hawkbill instead I'm thinking. That or the regular blade shape, its pretty pointy compared to the manbug.
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Any word on when the new chaparral is dropping?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Apparently the left handed PM2 and QBall are being released next. Collector club knives are shipping.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Any word on when the new chaparral is dropping?
I'm hoping soon, I have a preorder in and it looks like gp has some actual pictures up of it now instead of just the proto pics...
Josh
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Delica 4 Foliage Green FRN & Damascus blade just dropped today.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm guessing the idea is that it's a mini rescue blade, so the tip is a safety thing. Personally I don't mind having to reshape tips because I can make them exactly how I want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

At first I didn't either, but after 3 pacific salts, an endura 4, a Swick 3, Spin etc., I'm done regrinding tips. I don't want to have to reprofile the edge, regrind the tip and loc-tite the pivot of every Spyderco I buy, which is how its been lately.