Centofante Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgoode315

Re: Centofante Sprint?

Post by bgoode315 »

As someone else said before, HAP 40 burnt orange would be nice :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:HAP-40?

sal
sal wrote:Warncliffe?

sal
Yes & Yes!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would buy both a Centofante 3 and a Centofante4 in an upgraded steel. I don't care if it's ZDP/BRG or Super Blue/Grey or HAP40/Burnt Orange. They all work for me. Heck, make it H1/Yellow and I might even buy one. Shoot, make it VG10/Pink and I'll buy my wife one. I think BRG with a gold/brass colored bug and some ZDP would be outstanding and I would buy one of each. An orange Centofante3 with XHP would be my new backpacking knife but I realize that now I am reaching a little. :) I would love to see this happen.
With the recent/coming K390 releases, maybe a Cebtofante 3 or 4 in that steel would be possible? as long as I'm dreaming it could be FFG and have a 52100 or CruWear twin ;)

HAP40 would be excellent too!! and a Centofante 4 Sprint would give me a chance to finally pick one up!
HammerHill wrote:I've said as much before, but the Centofante 3 is one of Spyderco's all-time best and most underrated designs. Neutral ergonomics, THIN blade with a stylish and effective hollow grind - it's got enough style to be a gentleman's folder but is plain enough to suit most any task. I think a sprint run or materials upgrade would really give it new life. Here's what I suggest:

- Liners/screw together construction: Of course knives like the Pacific Salt are proof you don't need liners at all but I think a Delica/Endura style construction with nested skeletonized liners would make the thin knife more rigid and smoother to operate.

- Handle material: Along with full liners it'd be nice to ditch the injection molded scales for something a little dresser, black g10 would be an easy choice.

- Blade steel: My first choice for a high-end Centofante 3, made in Japan, would be ZDP-189. A fine carbon steel like Super Blue would suit the knife well, too, but frankly I'd be happy with VG10 if the handle was upgraded.
Normally I'd agree on all of those upgrades, but the pinned FRN version with just one liner is such a smooth, solid knife that it seems like overkill, not to mention that it would drive the price up... I want to get any C3 or C4 Sprints that come out, so less expensive would make that more of a possibility.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wharncliffe would be great. I really like the original spear-point too, but either way I am in. :)

One other note: Would it be possible to use screw-together construction instead of pinned?
Last edited by SpyderNut on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

Spear point, zdp, have found it better than hap40 or super blue, sv110.
Handle and linner with pins are fine as is.
Wire clip would be more comfortable. ffgrind may make it a better slicer.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cangokaw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

Thanks Sal, have many added many Spyderco knives to my user pile over the years.
Pushed send on my first post too early, ment to say have found zdp my favorite steel
with s110v a close second.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I would love a HAP40 Centofante 3 or 4. If there is a HAP40 JazzDelica planned then a the Centofante3 would be great.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

sal wrote:HAP-40?

sal
Yes please!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
One other note: Would it be possible to use screw-together construction instead of pinned?

Would be great but seems unlikely. I recall having this conversation years ago about the Caly 3, and the reasoning for pins was because they allow for a thinner knife overall and they allow the pins to be moved closed to the edge of the material, so it isn't as simple as just switching to screws instead of pins, the entire design needs redone which may not be feasible when we're asking for a knife to be brought back out for a sprint. At the very least I would love to see a screw pivot, but I can live with either if I must.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

This page needs a picture

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

The HAP40 suggestion from Sal has me curious ... have there been hollow ground laminates before? Or would this mean either solid HAP40 hollow ground or a laminated FFG if it happens in HAP40?

Personally I'd prefer hollow ground .... I'd also prefer green scales to orange, like the HAP40 Caly 3 or stick to my suggestion earlier of ZDP189 / British Racing Green FRN but I'm suspecting that ZDP189 has become yesterday's steel.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, this thread certainly got interesting.

I can confidently say that if there was a HAP40 Centofante4 that I would buy one for sure. Probably two. I love my Centofante4.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Would be great but seems unlikely. I recall having this conversation years ago about the Caly 3, and the reasoning for pins was because they allow for a thinner knife overall and they allow the pins to be moved closed to the edge of the material, so it isn't as simple as just switching to screws instead of pins, the entire design needs redone which may not be feasible when we're asking for a knife to be brought back out for a sprint. At the very least I would love to see a screw pivot, but I can live with either if I must.
Sigh. I know... I was just being wistful. ;) Although pinned is okay, screw-together would make this a real gem for me. The original Vesuvius was screw-together, if I recall correctly, so perhaps they could use the Vesuvius platform instead? This way, we get a Compression Lock AND screw-together. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

C-3, Hap 40, spear, burnt orange or navy blue.. Just sayin!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Love to see the C4 return but the pinned construction is a turn off for me on a sprint run. I also have seen enough HAP40 that I'm ready for something different. I frankly can't wait til this laminated steel fad has run its course, just not a big fan of it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't call it a fad. Laminated blades have been around for a very long time and many makers besides spyderco have used them and continue to use them. Mora, Cold Steel, Fallkniven and many more. The Japanese have been using laminated blades for a thousand years. You may not like it and that is fine but I don't think it is a fad.

Spyderco started using laminated blades in 2005 in the CalyJr if my memory is correct.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

Sigh. I know... I was just being wistful. ;) Although pinned is okay, screw-together would make this a real gem for me. The original Vesuvius was screw-together, if I recall correctly, so perhaps they could use the Vesuvius platform instead? This way, we get a Compression Lock AND screw-together. :D
I would be 100% OK with it being a Vesuvius sprint instead, I think our chances are just more realistic of getting a sprint of something that's currently in production. To be honest the Vesuvius has enough going for it that I would buy it over a Manix 2, Para 2/3, Delica/Endura, Stretch...Just about any of the common go-to popular models. It's an amazing design and it really sucks that it went away. I would love to see it come back in G10 with the floating stop pin and a nice steel. I'd buy either the wharnie or standard version of that but a G10 wharnie Vesuvius would just be the stuff of dreams.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

I would be 100% OK with it being a Vesuvius sprint instead, I think our chances are just more realistic of getting a sprint of something that's currently in production. To be honest the Vesuvius has enough going for it that I would buy it over a Manix 2, Para 2/3, Delica/Endura, Stretch...Just about any of the common go-to popular models. It's an amazing design and it really sucks that it went away. I would love to see it come back in G10 with the floating stop pin and a nice steel. I'd buy either the wharnie or standard version of that but a G10 wharnie Vesuvius would just be the stuff of dreams.
Truer words have never been said. :) I agree with you 110%, David. If this could become a Vesuvius Sprint, I would be beyond ecstatic!

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A hap40 wharncliffe centofoante sprint? Is that a trick question? Overwhelmingly Yes.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal