ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tubpbs wrote:How do you know they own the design? That's very interesting. I know I've seen that you have photos of that design somewhere... That's some of that very unique Deacon info.

Very curious.

-Zach
I was told so by Sal Glesser himself.

JD Spydo wrote:Deacon that OCELOT model is one blade you and I seem to really agree on as well as the JD Smith. Those paw prints I thought were really juvenile for a lack of a better description. I talked to many guys
back when that model was popular and almost all of them told me that if they used the knife on game or fish it would always end up stinking something terrible. There was no way you could keep debris out of those paw prints and it was a horrible job to clean it properly. I had the same problem myself and I usually am pretty demanding in my cleaning chores but I couldn't get that OCELOT clean without spending serious some serious time on it.

If they would bring back that OCELOT with a solid G-10 or titanium handle they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. That knife is a perfect size for all kinds of outdoor jobs. Personally I liked the bigger Wegner model a little better but both are great designs. Those Wegner models were also even great with a combo edge. It's funny you don't hear the OCELOT mentioned very often but when it was a new model people were fanatic about it. What ever possessed them to do that paw print was just plain silly in my opinion. I think that OCELOT would be great as one of the H-1 Salt Series.
JD, I agree that the paw prints definitely hurt sales of the Ocelot. Of course, if I was seriously interested in using one for hunting, I can think of several ways to fill them in. However, I'd either just opt for a Stretch or, more likely, for a fixed blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The Deacon wrote:JD, I agree that the paw prints definitely hurt sales of the Ocelot. Of course, if I was seriously interested in using one for hunting, I can think of several ways to fill them in. However, I'd either just opt for a Stretch or, more likely, for a fixed blade.
I have not ever seen an Ocelot in person, but I thought the paw prints were cute in the pictures. I wonder if instead of drilling holes all the way through the G10 they just had indents (for the paw-pads) would that still look nice but prevent getting blood and gunk stuck in there?

Wasn't there a Sebenza model that had dog paw prints in blue on the titanium scales, or something like that? i.e. High-end knife that at least some people were willing to pay big bucks for?
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I had an Ocelot. It needed a FFG, in my opinion. It was thick, hollow ground with a nice thin edge, but the thick spine made the blade a bit "wedgy". And yes, solid G10, please.
- best wishes, Jazz.
recoil

Post by recoil »

rodloos wrote:I have not ever seen an Ocelot in person, but I thought the paw prints were cute in the pictures. I wonder if instead of drilling holes all the way through the G10 they just had indents (for the paw-pads) would that still look nice but prevent getting blood and gunk stuck in there?

Wasn't there a Sebenza model that had dog paw prints in blue on the titanium scales, or something like that? i.e. High-end knife that at least some people were willing to pay big bucks for?
Funny, but the prototype for the Ocelot (called the Trakker) had very shallow indented paw prints and would have collected much less grime when used for it's intended purpose as a skinner.
The prototype also used BG42 and a compression lock. Very few were made, if I recall maybe 20 - 25.

dave

WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Minus the paw prints, that's an awesome knife! I don't think I remember that proto, so thanks for the pic and description!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

recoil wrote:Funny, but the prototype for the Ocelot (called the Trakker) had very shallow indented paw prints and would have collected much less grime when used for it's intended purpose as a skinner.
The prototype also used BG42 and a compression lock. Very few were made, if I recall maybe 20 - 25.

dave
Am guessing there were 30 or more made Dave, since mine in #29

IIRC, Tim Wegner received half of them, and the rest were sold by Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

^^^^^ Thats KOOL!! NICE!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

And none of that jimping on the spine near the tip on that proto - looks way better.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Minus the paw prints, that's an awesome knife! I don't think I remember that proto, so thanks for the pic and description!
I'm totally aware that fads and marketing ploys are part of any business and certainly no one bats a thousand when playing in the big leagues. But I still can't for the life of me figure out why??? The PawPrints on the original OCELOT model??? OK I know that this has nothing to do with ATS-34 blade steel or it's collectible aspect as a Spyderco knife of years gone by>> but on the other hand it is a product of Spyder-Evolution and the model does have it's roots in the ATS-34 era. I wouldn't even mind a Sprint Run of the OCELOT in ATS-34 blade steel if they would eliminate the paw print holes.

I really don't even want pictures or inscriptions of paw prints on a new revamped OCELOT>> Because the design itself is just great.

Hey while we're on the subject I wonder how many other models were sprung from the ATS-34 era?? The JD Smith went on to new blade steel for instance.

The ATS-34 Era is truly a prime ground for proposed SPRINT RUNS.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MarcusH

Re: ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Post by MarcusH »

Old thread, but here are some fresh pics of ATS-34 classics...

JD Spydo

Re: ATS-34 Era Spyders: Collector's Haven

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:Old thread, but here are some fresh pics of ATS-34 classics...

Marcus again you never fail to mow us over with pictures of some of your collection of ultra-classic Spyders :cool: The C-27 Jess Horn model you have is one of the few of the ATS-34 era that I never got to own at any time. It is the only Spyder I know of that had a trapezoidal indent for an opening device rather than the traditional Spyderco Hole.

A lot of the newer guys and gals who have arrived here at Spyderville are un-aware of many of the Great Spyders from the early time periods ( pre-2000 era especially). Which is one of the main reasons I put this thread up to begin with. And for the rest of us who have been here for a while to stop to appreciate the earlier Spyderco models.

The models out of the ATS-34 era were indeed the premium, top end models of their days. Also ATS-34 was one of the very few blade steels that Spyderco used on it's Japan made models and GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models as well.

I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned the Vesuvius>> indeed a hidden Spyderco Classic that you hear very little of anymore.