Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

dialex wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so they say, therefore choosing thee knife is very much a matter of personal prefference. A knife is good or bad depending on your expectations. I've seen the Microtech Ultratech in your top 10 list. It is a fine knife and a great piece of engineering, no doubt about it. However, it can't compete even with the entry level Spydies when it comes to reliability. Also, I seriously doubt that many people abuse their Sebenzas the way we abuse our Spydies - and consider it a natural way, I may add. :)
I wouldn't consider Spydies as the Corvette or Nissan of knives, but rather the AK-47 of knives. Yes, there are many fine knives out there, but send me on a deserted planet with only one knife and I'll happily switch my custom J. A. Harkins' OTF with a Pacific Salt. ;)
I agree. Also appreciate lamorak responding in full :) We do have the green Urban in common as well as a few other models :) Everyone has different reasons for their opinions. A restriction in carrying larger locking blades might have a bearing on the OP's preferences.

Enjoy your knives lamorak, Keep 'em sharp :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote:So, I expect we'll see a "slicing tomatoes at work with an awesome Spyderco" video sometime soon?
:D You never know...

- best wishes, Jazz.
TyJo

Post by TyJo »

I had to join and post because I find the Paramilitary 2 to be the best knife available currently for me (and I just got one a week ago), and the Nissan GTR is my dream car and also one of the best cars available currently.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

TyJo wrote:I had to join and post because I find the Paramilitary 2 to be the best knife available currently for me (and I just got one a week ago), and the Nissan GTR is my dream car and also one of the best cars available currently.
I love both too :)
LBNoble

Post by LBNoble »

All those beautiful Spydercos, & you don't love them, they're not even in your top ten? I don't think that many here can empathize or agree w/ you...I own 1 Benchmade & 1 Microtech, but only because they're purple...
TheApostleP

Post by TheApostleP »

I think I do understand the dilemma, lamorak. I don't have 50, but do own several Spydies, and no longer own some that I didn't like. Some of the ones I have are my most frequently carried knives. By and large, they are well-constructed, very funtional, quite ergonomic, beautifully finished for production knives, and a bit odd looking compared to other manufacturers' knives. Strangely enough, of my Spydies, the one that has the biggest "wow factor" is the least practical, hardest to carry, heaviest, and worst cutter of them all, my Vallotton. However, I think the problem lies in how you define "excellent." Is a $250K Ferrari more excellent than a $85K Corvette ZL1? By any objective measure of performance, absolutely not! By measure of exclusivity, handmade craftsmanship and romance, probably. In fantasy land, I'd love a Ferrari and a Sebenza. In reality, I'll take a base Corvette and a Gayle Bradley... and consider them excellent. One more thing... I love mine... but a Cadet... really?????
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I resist conversations where perfection is an enemy of the good. To each his own.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

This little guy impresses me..

USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Leatherneck wrote:This little guy impresses me..

Feel ..... resolve .... w-w-weakening.... Must .... ugh!.... stay..... strong! :D

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I'll take my lifted crew cab Chevy Silverado over any Porsche or Ferrari you can pull up in.
I dont care the cost, the prestige, the trade in value, anything. It all just depends on what
you value and what you need to get done.

You can transfer that comparision to knives as well.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:Because, it's $500 so it HAS to be the best right? :rolleyes:
bingo!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

Some people prefer the Corvette over the Porsche. Who's to say which is better for each individual. You said the Spydies are your most used. In my mind, that makes them the best knives.
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Mwalle6 wrote:Some people prefer the Corvette over the Porsche. Who's to say which is better for each individual. You said the Spydies are your most used. In my mind, that makes them the best knives.
^ Yup
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Evil D wrote:Well, to each his own, but i'm shocked that you rate any Victorinox over a Caly 3 CF/ZDP. That's about as Ferrari as it gets...carbon fiber, laminate exotic super steel...what more is there???

In my book a SAK rates on the car scale about as high as a Jeep Wrangler...it's slow, sucks on gas, rough around every edge, but it's 4WD and will get you where you're going with at least a little bit of style. You won't see any A list people pulling up to the red carpet in one though.
I agree, but I have no problem trying to show off a silver alox victorinox. ;)

Mmmmmm... classy.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I don't understand who asks people in an enthusiast website if we feel they're great knives? What is this thread?

I'd only answer this with more questions. For starters, what does the OP consider a great knife? By my definition I'm going to say function, design, comfort and price. Spyderco in general hits all these notes and I've not been disappointed with any of what I bought. There are some I like more than others, and others with different purposes but for how I define what a great knife is, again... all my Spyderco's fit the bill.

Edit: As a car guy that sells Porsche's, Ferrari's, Corvette's and Skylines I'd have to say that anyone calling the Corvette and Skyline the bastards of the bunch probably needs to drive one. Yes, they're all different, all have different price points but they're all performers. Calling a Spyderco a Skyline is a huge compliement though I'm not sure you meant it as such.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Clip

Post by Clip »

Now you've got me thinking about cars, Froochie. I love Skylines, R32-R24. And the Toyota Chaser.

Edit: And the Aristo/Lexus GS. Just something about those sedans :)
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Clip wrote:Now you've got me thinking about cars, Froochie. :)
Welcome to my ****.. haha. Skylines are impressive cars, for look I love the C10 GTX but driving a current GT-R is ridiculous.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Clip

Post by Clip »

And another looker: the Datsun Bluebird.

But above all, my heart still belongs to the Mk3 Supras.

Ok, might have to start another thread so we can get this one back on topic.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Chris, let the new thread fly and lets see some more of those beautiful pics. The bluebird is classic.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

AGREED. I'm also looking for one but they're impossible to get at an affordable price. 510 Bluebirds for the win.

Edit: ok back on topic for me, knives not cars. Image :D