What Knife would benefit from a button release.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: What Knife would benefit from a button release.

Post by Bemo »

I love the button conversion idea to reduce hot spots when using it heavily. I'm not a fan of how proud that button looks like it is on the Ultra mod.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:59 pm
This is just my opinion, but I feel that button-locks are a fad that will slowly start to die down as the market gets over-saturated.....
Regardless, I would like to have one some day.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mushroom,

I don't know why we'd collaborate when we invented the lock, including the button version and we designed the knife?

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sal wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:57 pm
Hi Mushroom,

I don't know why we'd collaborate when we invented the lock, including the button version and we designed the knife?

sal
I guess I don't know why you’d collaborate with them either. :rofl

In that case - when Spyderco releases a Paramilitary 2 with button compression lock it will be a game changer.
- Nick :bug-red
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

sal wrote:
Hi Mushroom,

sal
Sal,
Is there a chance that Syderco will produce a compression lock knife with a button release?

Thanks
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bemo wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:13 pm
I love the button conversion idea to reduce hot spots when using it heavily. I'm not a fan of how proud that button looks like it is on the Ultra mod.

It probably needs to stick out that fat to have enough travel for the lock to release, and that's probably one of the challenges of this design. It's similar on the Autonomy's, and I imagine it could suck a lot more for a lefty than for a righty. I personally don't even notice it's there, and particularly with the Autonomy there is tactile similarity between the feeling of a thumb hole and the feeling of the firing button and I really like that, it becomes very intuitive to use and feels natural. I'm not sure how they could do that with a manual opening knife but it would be pretty cool. The button on those does stick out a good bit when opened though and would always stick out further when the knife is closed since the lock bar is pushed all the way against the G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

mongo1958 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:23 am
sal wrote:
Hi Mushroom,

sal
Sal,
Is there a chance that Syderco will produce a compression lock knife with a button release?

Thanks

Hi Mongo,

There is always a chance. We're discussing that now.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:18 pm
mongo1958 wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Mushroom,

sal
Sal,

Thanks

Hi Mongo,

sal

Safe bet - a Para 2 variant, that doesn't outright replace the standard version unless it ever reaches a point where the sales favor the button version so much that it makes sense to replace it.

My wish - Do that with the Shaman.

Or, if you're still developing a no choil Shaman, maybe double down and try to work that in too if it's going to be a compression lock design. Then you'll be bringing out a new model and that'll be an additional selling point.
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I would think something like a Micarta Shaman would be a good candidate. Having the thicker scales might allow for a recessed divot area around the button. Possibly less button sticking out and/or also kind of a safety like the Boye detent?
•• Beau
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

What are peoples thoughts on the side for the button?
Would index finger or thumb operation be better? Either would be possible given both RH and LH models are produced.

ETA: Nvm after trying different grips etc myself it seems best it would be on the front / thumb side to prevent accidental disengagement.
Last edited by w3tnz on Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see, said the blind man.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:02 pm
I would think something like a Micarta Shaman would be a good candidate. Having the thicker scales might allow for a recessed divot area around the button. Possibly less button sticking out and/or also kind of a safety like the Boye detent?

I can not overemphasize how good this idea is. That sir is genius. It could potentially be done without the button actually sticking out beyond the surface of the handle, and a recess in the G10 would provide a good tactile sense for where the button is.
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mule
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

sal wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:18 pm
mongo1958 wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi Mushroom,

sal
Sal,

Thanks

Hi Mongo,

sal
Awesome!😃
It would be really great if the Military 2 with SE, the PM2 with SE, The Shaman with SE, and the Native Chief with SE could be considered for the first round of the button release knives.
Thank you Sal.
Mongo1958
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 5:39 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

I can not overemphasize how good this idea is. That sir is genius. It could potentially be done without the button actually sticking out beyond the surface of the handle, and a recess in the G10 would provide a good tactile sense for where the button is.

I have rather little experience with any kind of button operated locks (unless one counts the axxis lock "lock tabs" "buttons" - they are really not in use in a traditional sense)

So my only concern and possible con about / in a button comp.lock would actually be accidental release during hard use (which, as said, I can recall two times being mentioned on this forum even concerning the current "tab" comp.lock).

Is this likely in any way?
Recessing the button a bit would certainly a remedy for that then, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:37 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 5:39 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

I have rather little experience with any kind of button operated locks (unless one counts the axxis lock "lock tabs" "buttons" - they are really not in use in a traditional sense)

So my only concern and possible con about / in a button comp.lock would actually be accidental release during hard use (which, as said, I can recall two times being mentioned on this forum even concerning the current "tab" comp.lock).

Is this likely in any way?
Recessing the button a bit would certainly a remedy for that then, right?

I'd say it's possible, but I don't know if I'd say it's more or less possible than a back lock. One of the worst cuts I've ever had was from a back lock that I squeezed too hard and unlocked it and it folded onto my pinky finger. I'd say it depends on where your grip is positioned during use, and if they did use a Shaman and are able to recess the button that would make it far less of a concern.
~David