Are you going to Blade Show?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Are you going to Blade Show?

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:38 pm

Ahah, you wore THE shirt ! I'm sure it must have let you go everywhere, and do everything !
Thanks for representing our Most Noble Order in Atlanta (even if you represent it not for from there all year long :squinting-tongue )

Nice that you picked up a Native Chief ! How do you like it ? I love the Native line but nowadays I'd say that my heart goes to the Military for most situations.
The shirt got me everywhere. The crowd just moved away and made a way.

The Native Chief is awesome! Probably my favorite all around Spydie. Even more than the Endura. I almost picked up a Military over it though. The Military is so nice! And feels so good in hand. The lock back (Golden), the beautiful backspacer, and the slowly curving slight belly (Favorite all around shape) won me over.
Last edited by JSumm on Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:29 pm
Did anyone notice this?
!!!!!!!!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I absolutely love my iteration of the Military, but when it comes to a knife that size...it's hard to beat the Chief, such a great knife.

Jeff, you're scoring some great knives recently!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:10 pm
I absolutely love my iteration of the Military, but when it comes to a knife that size...it's hard to beat the Chief, such a great knife.

Jeff, you're scoring some great knives recently!
Listen, it was a close call between the Chief, the Military, and the Bradford Guardian 3.5. They even had Magnacut Guardians at the show! They held some back from the website for the show, so keep your eyes open on the website. I have wanted a Chief for too long though.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:41 pm
araneae wrote:
Did anyone notice this?

That's a Para XL through and through. The handle shape is even more like a Para 2 now. I'm definitely curious.
I thought so too.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:15 pm
Prototype area has a lot of exciting models. Golden is expanding, so some exciting years ahead.
Anything in that prototype area that resembles something new for the manix family? :beaming-face And is that framelock Manix still there by the way or was that cancelled years ago?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
araneae wrote:
Did anyone notice this?

That's a Para XL through and through.
THIS

I personally still don't fully get why they don't name it so (or Para 4).
And yes, and again: Sure one reason is that I fear a bit for the long time further existence of the Millie "1", despite Sal has said it will remain in the line up.. it just would be the first model where "1" and "2" are in regular production
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:35 pm
...I actually really like the liner lock on the Military. Your hand is in a much more natural position with full control when closing.
I always like when people give a good (!) linerlock the credit it deserves, and the Millie has a great one!

I agree 100 %, plus a linerlock on a knife with finger choil is a safer solution than a comp.lock too imo. As you say, the knife can be held very naturally and securely in hand, while it is still practically impossible to hit a finger with the cutting edge when operating the lock.

Add the better usability with gloves and the like, and I doubt that many will choose a comp lock- over a linerlock Millie for real outdoor use in also harsh conditions
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

apollo wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:12 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:15 pm
Prototype area has a lot of exciting models. Golden is expanding, so some exciting years ahead.
Anything in that prototype area that resembles something new for the manix family? :beaming-face And is that framelock Manix still there by the way or was that cancelled years ago?
The only Manix I recall is the screw construction LW.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:56 am
Evil D wrote:
araneae wrote:
Did anyone notice this?

THIS

And yes, and again: Sure one reason is that I fear a bit for the long time further existence of the Millie "1", despite Sal has said it will remain in the line up.. it just would be the first model where "1" and "2" are in regular production

The original stainless handle Police has lived safely alongside every new generation of the Police and is still in production along with the Police 4. I think there comes a point when the knives only share a namesake and history and really become completely different models. Whether that's justification enough for Spyderco to keep producing them both is anyone's guess. What's sad to me is that it all but guarantees there won't be any future sprints or exclusives for the Military 1, because it's likely that the Military 2 will be a landslide success and being new it will get all the attention.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

All I can say is, get me that military 2! The only thing keeping me from getting a millie in the first place is the clip position. I'm fine with liner locks. But that millie 2 is looking mighty fine!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My only issue is that they ruined the choil. The one on the current Military is the only one I really like. It is rounded. This new one has that spike sticking up.

I am happy, otherwise, to see a compression lock Military.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:46 am
My only issue is that they ruined the choil. The one on the current Military is the only one I really like. It is rounded. This new one has that spike sticking up.

I have a host of issues with it, but that one would be easy to fix with a belt sander.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:46 am

I tend to agree, the Millie’s gentle choil is great. But, as long as the handle is still long enough to have a really solid gloved grip on the rearward position, I’m good. I think.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Looks like I need to get another Military “1” before they are gone. Prefer it to the 2.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:
araneae wrote:
Did anyone notice this?

THIS

Police model ;)
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

to me the Military 2 looks like it only has advantages over the old version.

1. Four way clip vs one position clip. Biggest one for me. Tip down clip feels a lot worse when clipped RFP and reaching in the pocket for something. Also feels awkward to draw when every single other knife I own is tip down.

2. Bigger choil. Not sure how they "ruined" it. The Military always had a small choil that works but never felt particularly great in my grip. The new one looks more spacious and secure.

3. comp lock vs liner lock. Not a big deal to me, not a big fan of either since I don't like detent based locks. had issues with Military folders that had too weak or too strong of a detent. Hope the comp lock versions are good like my Yojumbo with its perfect detent. The one thing I'm excited for is enjoying better ergos without the huge cutout for the liner lock on the scales.

Overall every change looks for the better. I'm sure it'll be a good knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Mantra 1 and Mantra 2 were released simultaneously and existed in the regular production lineup for multiple years.

———

Currently the “Paramilitary 2” and “Para 3” exist in the regular production lineup. They’re different models though, separate platforms altogether and treated as such.

It’s often overlooked but the Military’s full name is actually “Military Model.” As far as we know, the working name for the new knife is called “Military 2.” Maybe this is another case similar to the PM2 and Para 3, they’re separate platforms and will be treated that way.

In other words, maybe the “Military Model” and “Military 2” will both exist in the regular production lineup, but as separate platforms and not as an evolution of the other. (I’m aware that it has been confirmed that both models will remain in the lineup.)
- Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:
araneae wrote:
Did anyone notice this?

THIS

Police model ;)
Actually, right now those are the Police2 and 4. The Police 1 was replaced by the Police 2 in the late 1980s, and it's really the Police 2 that everyone thinks of as THE Police Model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

true. point is the police 2 has been sold along the following two generations, so the situation isn't unprecedented.