What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DFD04

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by DFD04 »

I have dreamt of a K390 Shaman…

That being said, my REC Shaman is truly my grail folder and I am totally stoked to have it in my pocket. The worst thing about that knife is that I keep wanting to taken it out to look at it, lol.
Wandering_About

Re: What's your "dream" spyderco? What combo of design/materials would you love to see?

Post by Wandering_About »

Proficient in MagnaCut. PM2 in K390.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ooh, a crucarta Goddard would be sweet!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Centofante 4 wharncliffe with screw construction and CTS-XHP or S90V steel. If it will still be made in Seki City, I'd be okay with K390.
razehound

Post by razehound »

Definitely either a titanium manix with LC200N
or a PM2 Lightweight in LC200N
-razehound :bug-white-red Native 5 SE, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2, Salt 2 SE, Para 3 LW, Stretch 2 XL,
..........................Spydiechef, AEB-L Mule

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Shaman BUT:
-thinner, both bladestock and handle
-deep carry wire clip
-blade modified slightly so the nub doesn’t hit you when closing one-handed
-terotuf handles
-k390 blade

Would also be happy with a pm2 minus the hump (haven’t given much thought at all to whether that could actually be done) and with a wire clip.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Compression lock screw construction Caly 3 or 3.5 or Calypso in any afi-approved steel: S90V, K390, SPY27, MagnaKut, CruWear, etc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:41 pm
Ok, of course I have to mention once more the "Chapparal XL". At least Endela size, keeping the 2mm bladestock and the thin overal profile.
(Stretch "thin edition" would be not bad too).

And: FRN Tenacious S35VN REAL lightweight (just one minimal liner like the Millie has)
And: Generally more mid- to high end linerlock Spydies.
Ever consider hunting down one of the rock lobster sprints? I could see you liking that one. Might be the smoothest liner lock I've used.
Thanks for the suggestion!

- No, I did not.
From what I know about the Rock Lobster (not a whole lot tbh) it certainly has a lot I´d like: Compact package, long cutting edge, acceptable weight (though already a tad "heavy" for y taste, which would not matter though in most regular EDC scenarios), and, yes, linerlock.
But to be clear: The linerlock is probably the most natural and comfortable to use for me, but overall I still prefer backlock and I think CBBL slightly over it it - purely as lock types. It is just that certain designs can´t be done with backlock and CBBL like they can be done with a liner- and comp.lock (just like some backlock designs probably can´t be done with liner- or comp.lock, for example the "thinnest folder possible").
But I guess practically all comp.lock designs could be done pretty much the same with a linerlock, and vice versa. And between THESE two I prefer the liner lock overall.

- One thing I don´t fully understand: Does Spyderco not list the Rock Lobster as a frame lock folder? While it really is a linerlock as far as I can see?

- Actually I would not have to hunt down a sprint, but would be perfectly happy with the "basic" VG10 version. One thing I´d have to do though: Make the tip a bit pointier.

- Where I can see the Rock Lobster to be great: When one wants to utilize then whole cutting edge on a board for example.
Overall, from what I can tell (I did not even held either!) the Rock Lobster seems to be the "better Spydie Chef" for me" (keep in mind: Corrosion resistance is just not a concern of mine)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I want a Rockjumper and/or a Wharncliffe Dragonfly in any of the following steels:

Magnacut
S110V
S45VN
SPY27
M390/20CV

I'd also accept BD1N if they kept the price budget-friendly. These two knives have been surprisingly good and will probably last in my EDC rotation, at least until this dream becomes a reality. ;)
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Endura wharncliffe K390
Centofante 4 in any steel
Air same as original, but with lock insert
elena86

Post by elena86 »

XL Dragonfly(2.85”blade) in Cruwear and K390. Old school SE Police with titanium handle and SPY27 steel.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Perhaps I am off topic, since I don´t talk about "combo of design/materials"..

But another thing ´d really like to see:

Stretch 2, FRN, VG10 totally fine, but with the shorter, shallower choil of the Stretch 1 and a blade that fills all of the handle...that would result in a Stretch 2 with roughly an Endura length cutting edge... pretty perfect folder!!
(Yes, I know there will be a "Stretch XL" - but I actually don´t really need and want a longer, roomier handle (the Stretch 2 handle offers noticeable more space than for example PM2 or Manix anyway), but just more cutting edge...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:11 pm
Proficient in MagnaCut. PM2 in K390.
Pardon of I'm wrong but I believe BentoBoxShop has exclusive K390 PM2 and Para3's in forrest green G-10.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

This one is easy…

Shaman in K390 with denim micarta
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:53 am
This one is easy…

Shaman in K390 with denim micarta
Insta-buy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

C83 Ed Schempp Persian Folder, with bolsters like the original and red G10 Sprint versions, FFG Odin's Eye Damasteel blade with 14mm Spyderhole, butterscotch micarta scales, no Boye dent, and no clip or provision for clip mounting.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kobold

Post by kobold »

A SE Chaparral and/or Dragonfly with steel liners and wooden scales.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am one of the luckier ones it would seem - because the Ed Schempp bowie is probably as close as a perfect knife for me to enjoy is going to get. Of course I would have more wishes, but many of them would contradict each other (what basically means that there is more than one 'dream Spyderco' I would wish for). It just so happens that I love the design and combination of materials on the bowie.

The more I am USING this weird little bowie, the more I like it. I was really surprised how well it work on a cutting board slicing some salami and cheese (I did not expect that, but the combination of the long blade and some belly makes it very usable) - way better than Native Chief in comparison and comparable to Caribbean (leaf shape). The very intuitive pinch grip is part of this success.

If course I would want it in MagnaCut and maybe some little tweaks around the lock, but this is one fantastic user knife that at the same time is one of the coolest looking knives out there.

Edit: The knife came with the best edge OOTB I have experienced so far with excellent combination of bite and refinement. I am still on the factory edge for this reason.

7FBCFE62-F6F8-4130-A4BD-C4A8B9BC21A6.jpeg

Edit 2: (now go and poke fun at me for that kitchen use of pocket knives thread)
3EE11FE3-C1A8-4B5A-AF66-29FC6DD3ECDA.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:57 am
A SE Chaparral and/or Dragonfly with steel liners and wooden scales.
A big YES on the Chap SE!!
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I would like a fully serrated military in magnacut with dark blood red scales. Would be a beast