Definite purchases out of the new releases?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Anubisman

Re: Definite purchases out of the new releases?

Post by Anubisman »

Have both the Hap40 Meerkat and Q-Ball on order.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

The one I am dying to try out is the HAP40 Caly 3. I've never owned a Caly, and I think it might be one of those knives that will really work well for me. That's really my one must-buy.

After that, there are several that I wonder about:

- Carribean, not sure on sheepsfoot vs. leaf, but that's a great package: waterproof, compression lock, and I want to try out the steel...

- the knife formerly known as Sliver, I love the shapes, and how the folded knife nests together. Flipper and compression lock. Cool. I hope that it works as well as it looks.

- Manix 2 CF Cruwear. I really don't know why, but I've been fighting the urge to buy one. I have more pressing needs -- especially a decent fixed blade. It's probably that so many fellow enablers keep expressing their love of Cruwear, and the carbon fiber looks slick. Is it really that amazing?
Hgwxx7

Post by Hgwxx7 »

krikun98 wrote:
soundshaman wrote: Composite Manix
Would you please elaborate?
They are releasing a Manix 2 that has a core of S90V composited with CPM 154. Forum search or google search "composite manix" and you'll see.
Stay Golden :spyder:
paladin

Post by paladin »

Chappy, that's it.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Lil'Temp 3 - been wanting one since I handled the prototype 2 years ago.

Possibles:

Rhino - like the look of it, but need to actually handle one & see how it feels in hand.

Chinook 4 - First Chinnok since the original that I like the way it looks, and with a flat grind it will cut better. Just not sure as I'm more a fan of smaller knives.

Fish Hunter - I like it, other than that no need for one. Price will probably determine if I get one.
timlara

Post by timlara »

The only one that's giving me an itchy PayPal trigger finger is the "Paul Alexander Design" compression lock flipper (formerly known as the Sliver). I will sell something precious to fund that purchase if need be.

MeerKat Hap40 sprint and the 110v UKPK are probably next on my list after that. Maybe the new Chaparral, depending on the street price and how it looks in person. I have a feeling that's one that's really hard to judge from photos.

Other than that, it's kind of a light year for me, which is a good thing since 2016 killed my wallet!
Tim
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I don't have any definites, but the closest is the Southard Hanan. It checks a lot of my boxes on paper and visually (save for some aesthetic preferences). Imagining it in hand, I can see it performing very well for how I use my knives.

I like the custom clip and the angle it is set at balances the closed width with the stubby flipper tab. I like the negative blade angle, which looks like it'll approach material aggressively and comfortably, like a mini kukri.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

DrawBackwards wrote:The one I am dying to try out is the HAP40 Caly 3. I've never owned a Caly, and I think it might be one of those knives that will really work well for me. That's really my one must-buy.
Same here. I've been wanting a Caly3 for a while, but I didn't pull the trigger because it was one of those I thought they'd keep producing and I could put it off. But now that it's disco'd, and this sprint has both a good-looking G-10 handle and a steel for which I have a serious preference, this one is a mandatory purchase.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I really like the One Eyed Jack. Seems like a classic custom knife. They could`ve done without the inlays, but either way it is a very nice looking knife.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

DrawBackwards wrote:
- Manix 2 CF Cruwear. I really don't know why, but I've been fighting the urge to buy one. I have more pressing needs -- especially a decent fixed blade. It's probably that so many fellow enablers keep expressing their love of Cruwear, and the carbon fiber looks slick. Is it really that amazing?
Its an awesome kinife, cruwear rocks the CF is really nice and the fit and finish is rrally nice
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Definitely the Caly 3 and probably the RN Chappy and Paul Alexander. If something that would make a good saltwater fillet knife comes along, I'd be all over it. Perhaps a pointed Caribbean XL, or a frame lock Ti Millie with LC200n. :spyder:
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I don't know if this would be classified as a new release as I only heard about it from the awesome post/photos of the Amsterdam meet... but when it's available, without a doubt, the Chaparral Raffir Brass Mesh, if cost is OK considering AUD/USD conversion and shipping.
In order of acquisition: Ladybug in H1 : Paramilitary in S110v : Rock Salt in H1 : Vallotton Sub Hilt CPM S30V : Mule Team 23 (CPM20CV) : Next on the wishlist - Dragonfly ZDP189

Thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I do not post often but love checking the forum every few days to read new posts and comments. It really is a great forum and I learn so much :)
npad69

Post by npad69 »

hundred pacer
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Chinook 4
Where is it????
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chinook3 wrote:Chinook 4
Where is it????
A better question to ask is, will you have to change your user name now? ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Wharncliffe Delica. Should be here Saturday.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
shimage

Post by shimage »

Only must-buy for me is the rhino. Was going to get the knife formerly known as sliver, until I saw the blade length and thickness.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Definitely buying? Manix 2 backlock. The CBBL models are just fine, but I have a slight prefer for the backlock and I've always liked linerless G10 designs.

However my list of knives I' "will probably buy" is much longer.

Police 4 - Looks phenomenal except I need high levels of corrosion resistance. While the updates to one of my favorite knives look great I'm probably going to end up passing because of the blade steel. Hopefully they release it in something most corrosion resistant down the road.

ATR 2 - Looks like the perfect update to the original. Only reason I'm even slightly hesitant is I've been moving away from detent based locks...but I'm predicting I'll cave and get one ;)

Chinook 4 - The Chinook never appealed to me...I like wharncliffes or blade shapes like the Police 3 with very little belly. The 4 just looks like such a well made knife that I plan to check one out in a store and make a decision. Might grab one and see how it compares to a Manix XL for EDC.

Caribbean - Like the ATR this is basically a dream knife of mine, or was up until a few months ago when I started moving away from detent based locks. Since I'm such a huge fan of the Salt line I'm going to buy one to show support for the evolution of the line if nothing else. I'm sure I'll end up using it though. Especially if the clip mounting offers tip down. Typically I prefer tip up but after having a tip up compression lock knife come open in my pocket a few times I only carry them tip down.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

dplafoll wrote:
DrawBackwards wrote:The one I am dying to try out is the HAP40 Caly 3. I've never owned a Caly, and I think it might be one of those knives that will really work well for me. That's really my one must-buy.
Same here. I've been wanting a Caly3 for a while, but I didn't pull the trigger because it was one of those I thought they'd keep producing and I could put it off. But now that it's disco'd, and this sprint has both a good-looking G-10 handle and a steel for which I have a serious preference, this one is a mandatory purchase.
Ugh... I did the exact same thing. I held off, then the Caly 3 was discontinued, and I haven't run across a good enough deal at a time I could buy one. Hopefully, We can fix that when they come out...
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

gingerninja wrote:
DrawBackwards wrote:
Its an awesome kinife, cruwear rocks the CF is really nice and the fit and finish is rrally nice
That's what I keep hearing. It sounds really great. Thanks for chiming in -- nice to get a second opinion. Or five... :D