Centofante Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: Centofante Sprint?

Post by jdw »

Dumb question of the day. Is the 3 the same as a Vesuvius? I have looked at both of them on line and
other than a change of steel I can't see a difference. I can obviously see the handle change on one of the versions
but other than that they look like the same knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

jdw wrote:Dumb question of the day. Is the 3 the same as a Vesuvius? I have looked at both of them on line and
other than a change of steel I can't see a difference. I can obviously see the handle change on one of the versions
Afaik the Vesuvius had a compression lock...
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jdw wrote:Dumb question of the day. Is the 3 the same as a Vesuvius? I have looked at both of them on line and
Different locks and I believe the Vesuvius was 2.5mm thick while the Centofantes are 2mm. I've never held them side by side though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gastonian

Post by gastonian »

A sprint Centofante 3 or 4 would be a must buy for me!
SpyderNut

Re: Evil D

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
Different locks and I believe the Vesuvius was 2.5mm thick while the Centofantes are 2mm. I've never held them side by side though.
Evil is correct. The Vesuvius' blade measures in at exactly 2.7mm and the Centofante 3's blade is exactly 2mm (both below). Other differences include:
1. ATS-34 SS on the Vesuvius and VG-10 SS on the Centofante 3
2. Open back/stand-offs on the Vesuvius and solid FRN back-spacer on the Centofante 3
3. Screw-together construction on the Vesuvius and pinned construction on the Centofante 3
4. The Vesuvius was made in Golden, CO and the Centofante 3 was made in Japan

After looking at these two models tonight, I basically decided that I actually would rather have a Vesuvius Sprint over a Centofante 3 Sprint. Basically, the Vesuvius features nearly every single item on my personal list. The addition of it being made in Golden and featuring a Compression Lock would be the icing on the cake. I would LOVE to see this happen. Heck, I'd be simply thrilled to see S30V in black-slab G-10 for a Vesuvius Sprint!

Apologies for the cruddy comparison pictures:

Centofante 3 Technical Specs (from Spyderco.com):
Overall Length7.563" (192 mm)Blade Length3.125" (79 mm)SteelVG-10Closed Length4.5" (115 mm)Edge Length3" (76 mm)Weight2.5 oz (71 g)Blade Thickness.078" (2 mm)HandleFRNClip PositionRightTip Carry PositionTip-Up/DownLock TypeLinerLockGrindHollowSheath OriginJapan

Vesuvius Technical Specs (from Spyderco Source):
Model Name: Vesuvius
Model Reference: C66
Designer: Frank Centofante
MSRP: $89.95
Description: The Frank Centofante designed Spyderco Vesuvius is a beautifully contoured knife that has become a great reliable permanent knife in the Spyderco line-up with four different generations already. The fourth generation Vesuvius has the Wharncliffe blade and is not meant to replace third genertaion models, but offer an alternative blade shape. The first generation of this popular folder was designed with a compression lock, which was functionally problematic due to the design of the FRN handles, prompting a change to a lockback design after two years, making the first generation compression lock Vesuvius a collectible knife. Generation 1 folders were also available with a Shell insert on the handle.

Generation 2 folders were similar to Generation 1 folders with the change of the lock type. Generation 3 folders added an addition groove chanel to the handle, a switch to VG-10 steel and an adjustment to the location of the back lock.

Blade Length: 3 1/8″
Closed Length: 4 1/2″
Overall Length: 7 9/16″
Weight: 2.5oz, 3.4oz (Gen1)

Blade Material:ATS-34, VG-10
Blade Finish: Satin Finish
Blade Grind: Hollow Ground
Handle Material: FRN w/Silver Inlay Bug
Locking Mechanism: Lock Back, Compression Lock

Years Produced: 2001-Current
Manufacture Location: Golden, Colorado (Gen 1, 2), Seki-City Japan (Gen 3,4)

Variations:
C66PBK – Plain Edge
C66PSBK – Plain Edge
C66PBK3 – Plain Edge, Generation 3
C66PBK4 – Plain Edge, Generation 4
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I couldn't agree more. I would be in for just about any variation of a Vesuvius sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IR192

Post by IR192 »

+1 for a vesuvius sprint!! It's a (slightly) more refined platform for a US made sprint in G-10 than the centofante.
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

+1 more for Vesuvius,just make it polished G10 please :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Shameless bump for those of us with our fingers still crossed for a Centofante sprint run! Even among the outstanding 2017 lineup, the Centofante 3 stands out to me as a venerable work of knife design and a true classic.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Excellent bump back to the first page .... just in case someone forgets about this .....
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

clovisc wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I would buy both a Centofante 3 and a Centofante4 in an upgraded steel. I don't care if it's ZDP/BRG or Super Blue/Grey or HAP40/Burnt Orange. They all work for me. Heck, make it H1/Yellow and I might even buy one. Shoot, make it VG10/Pink and I'll buy my wife one. I think BRG with a gold/brass colored bug and some ZDP would be outstanding and I would buy one of each. An orange Centofante3 with XHP would be my new backpacking knife but I realize that now I am reaching a little. :) I would love to see this happen.
I like the way you think, Bearface! Count me in for any and all of the above!

Oh man, a SB Centofante3 would be an instant buy for me. FRN or fancy, I don't mind.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I still have a 2007 Centofante 4 that my wife gave me. I love it. Great knife. Still has no play (awesome since it's pinnned). I'll sweeten this post with pics later tonight.

The only problem I have with it is that the jimping tears up the pocket entrance if you carry it tip up.

I'd love a ZDP-189 Centofante 4 Sprint.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sal

Post by sal »

HAP-40?

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

sal wrote:HAP-40?

sal
YES PLEASE!!!!!
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

sal
That would be a must have
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal
All of my yes! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Warncliffe?

sal
osprey

Post by osprey »

sal wrote:Warncliffe?

sal
Take my money!
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

sal wrote:Warncliffe?

sal
even muster have
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

sal
\ \ \ ٩(ˊᗜˋ)و / / /