52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:Okay. So I had a nice long talk with my wife last evening regarding the 52100 Millie. At this point, I have just *maybe* convinced her of my need to have this model, lol. But her main question was a valid one: "What do you intend to use it for? You work in an office." Ah, I dislike it when she's right.

We'll see. If Mrs. SpyderNut approves, we'll be a green for go. :D
Dang wives and their sensible logic. We don't NEED more than one outfit of clothes but life would be real boring wearing the same thing everyday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Okay. So I had a nice long talk with my wife last evening regarding the 52100 Millie. At this point, I have just *maybe* convinced her of my need to have this model, lol. But her main question was a valid one: "What do you intend to use it for? You work in an office." Ah, I dislike it when she's right.

We'll see. If Mrs. SpyderNut approves, we'll be a green for go. :D
Dang wives and their sensible logic. We don't NEED more than one outfit of clothes but life would be real boring wearing the same thing everyday.
You hit the nail on the head, brother. :D Her logic kung-fu is ridiculously strong. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

SpyderNut wrote:But her main question was a valid one: "What do you intend to use it for? You work in an office."
You have to say that you are a "collector" and not a "user", then your justification for buying one is that you don't already have it. I used to collect custom fixed blade hunting knives with no intention of ever using any of them. I did pick out a couple to use if I ever got a chance to go hunting, which has never happened, so they are unused. I picked out a couple of mid-size models to try to carry on weekends so they are getting a little use. I commissioned them to be made for me so they aren't worth that much on the market and I'm not risking their value by using them.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bdblue wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:But her main question was a valid one: "What do you intend to use it for? You work in an office."
You have to say that you are a "collector" and not a "user", then your justification for buying one is that you don't already have it. I used to collect custom fixed blade hunting knives with no intention of ever using any of them. I did pick out a couple to use if I ever got a chance to go hunting, which has never happened, so they are unused. I picked out a couple of mid-size models to try to carry on weekends so they are getting a little use. I commissioned them to be made for me so they aren't worth that much on the market and I'm not risking their value by using them.
You raise a good point, although my wife already knows I'm a collector of knives... :o I think I will need to promise to start using them and maybe this will change things. :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

just tell her you work long hours and don't have time to sharpen. Constant stream of new knives - spydercos for their out-of-box sharpness - is necessary :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am on the fence about this one as I already have a couple of millies that don't get much use. That being said I like peel ply CF and have begun appreciating non-stainless steels more (thank you Hap40). I have carried an used (some less than others) everyone of my spydies so this one wouldn't be any different.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm on the fence too, but will probably pass... :eek:

If I think about it completely rationally, I know that I use my EDC's mostly on food and fruit, and some packaging. For practical purposes, I enjoy folders with corrosion resistance as good as or better than M4. An exception is laminated blades like Superblue etc where the pivot is protected by the lamination.

Maybe I should find myself another job where I would actually need a knife like this. My desk job is cramping my knife hobby. :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
timlara

Post by timlara »

I am tempted as well, but will probably have to pass as the Military is just too darn big for me, even though I really like the design. If they did a run of the PM2 in this same materials combo, I'd be all over it though.

What is the MAP going to be on this? Around $210?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

timlara wrote:I am tempted as well, but will probably have to pass as the Military is just too darn big for me, even though I really like the design. If they did a run of the PM2 in this same materials combo, I'd be all over it though.

What is the MAP going to be on this? Around $210?
Oh man! Now you're talking! I'd be infinitely more excited if it was a para 2.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Gentlemen, Ladies...

I am pleased to say that I am officially a green for "go" for the 52100 Millie. :D :D :D

Woot!

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:Gentlemen, Ladies...

I am pleased to say that I am officially a green for "go" for the 52100 Millie. :D :D :D

Woot!
Hang on...as in you pre-ordered or your order has been filled?
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think he means the wife gave him the go ahead to buy one when it is released.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh right. Crap :(
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Holy ****! How could I have missed this..... is it too late to preorder?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Holy ****! How could I have missed this..... is it too late to preorder?
I don't think so, they're not due until June/July apparently.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote:Holy ****! How could I have missed this..... is it too late to preorder?
Sweet.

First paycheck from the new employer, spent on Spydies. I feel like myself again.
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote: Hang on...as in you pre-ordered or your order has been filled?
Sorry about that, David. :o See below:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I think he means the wife gave him the go ahead to buy one when it is released.
You nailed it, LC. :D :D :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xceptnl wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Sweet.

First paycheck from the new employer, spent on Spydies. I feel like myself again.
Landon! Good to see you back here, good sir. :)
Like David mentioned, I think the 52100's are still available for pre-order, but I wouldn't wait too much longer to place a pre-order for this one. (Apparently, there is quite a demand for these. It sounds like they will sell pretty quickly once they hit the shelves).
P.S. Congrats on the new job! :)

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote: Landon! Good to see you back here, good sir. :)
Like David mentioned, I think the 52100's are still available for pre-order, but I wouldn't wait too much longer to place a pre-order for this one. (Apparently, there is quite a demand for these. It sounds like they will sell pretty quickly once they hit the shelves).
Thank you Michael. I am the director of Metrology at a local gage lab. Now I have access to CMMs, hardness testers and lots of other high tech toys.
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xceptnl wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Landon! Good to see you back here, good sir. :)
Thank you Michael. I am the director of Metrology at a local gage lab. Now I have access to CMMs, hardness testers and lots of other high tech toys.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. And they actually pay you to use these new toys, eh? :D Do you have access to a Rockwell scale by chance? If so, I may be sending some of my blades to you. :D