Schempp Bowie Just dropped!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Schempp Bowie Just dropped!

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would love pics and a review. This is a must buy for me but I just bought two older knives that I had been wanting for a while and funds are tight.

Give me something to hold me over, please!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine won't be here until Tuesday. The only wild pics I've seen so far are on eBay. But I'll probably post some pics and impressions when I get mine.
:bug-red-white
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Mine arrived today, unfortunately it was dark when it got here so pictures are indoor and not great . WireEdge Roger and ohcyclist both have pointed out some of the most noticeable peculiarities with the knife. The Liners along with the Spydiehole are pretty sharp and the detent is barely there along with the liner lock being between approx. 95-100%.
The knife is beautiful though and I fully admit that I love Mr. Schempp's designs. The grind is extremely well done on my knife and the overall finish on the knife is exceptional. Not one single scratch on the brass bolsters, that is very impressive.
Remember, I just took this knife out of the box. I have not cut with it or used it. These are just initial observations.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks for the pics, this one looks very nice, cant wait until Tuesday when mine gets here, missed delivery by half a day.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Awesome, thanks! Look forward to more. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the pics.

I don't mind late lockup, but a weak or non-existent detent doesn't sound so good. Here's a video screenshot of the prototype. Looks like about 50% lockup. I'm curious to see where mine will be.

paladin

Post by paladin »

I received a factory fresh Memory that had a very late lockup like your Bowie...no issues nor worries for me either... :)

Both knives are crafted from rather thin blade stock, so perhaps "engineering" consistent lockup may be more difficult on such models :o ...

Just wish this particular ethnic offering featured wood, or bone, or stag covers ...

I realize the ethnic series is open to interpretation and by design it's not bounded strictly by traditions, but when I think "Bowie" I think Riverboats, buckskin shirts, & coonskin caps--- not Carbon Fiber :( ...

The American Bowie Knife approaches "sacred" status in the hearts of many Americans, and as such, it is difficult to "redux"...

On the plus side, it looks as if crafting & retrofitting more traditional scales would be possible, if one had the skills, precision, & additional disposable income...

Thanks for the pics :)
bearfacedkiller

With the 2.4mm stock there might be some late lockup on a few of these. That is why I thought this should have been a backlock.
-Darby
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:With the 2.4mm stock there might be some late lockup on a few of these. That is why I thought this should have been a backlock.
Yea I'm with you here, but the liner/frame lock allows far more flexibility when it comes to blade/handle shape. I doubt the current configuration could have accommodated the workings of a backlock.
timlara

Post by timlara »

tvenuto wrote: Yea I'm with you here, but the liner/frame lock allows far more flexibility when it comes to blade/handle shape. I doubt the current configuration could have accommodated the workings of a backlock.
Yup, Ed Schempp basically says just that at about 3:25 in this interview about the Navaja: He often prefers liner locks because it essentially gives him the freedom to focus on the aesthetics of the design without worrying too much about how the lock is going to fit into the shape.

I think the thinness of the Schempp Bowie is definitely a factor with regard to the tolerances of the lock mechanism. It's probably pretty difficult to get the spring to vary in tension by just a fraction of a millimeter, but in this case, that's all it takes to make the difference between 40% lockup and 80%. The model I handled felt plenty secure and didn't have any play whatsoever, though.
v8r

Post by v8r »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Mine arrived today, unfortunately it was dark when it got here so pictures are indoor and not great . WireEdge Roger and ohcyclist both have pointed out some of the most noticeable peculiarities with the knife. The Liners along with the Spydiehole are pretty sharp and the detent is barely there along with the liner lock being between approx. 95-100%.
The knife is beautiful though and I fully admit that I love Mr. Schempp's designs. The grind is extremely well done on my knife and the overall finish on the knife is exceptional. Not one single scratch on the brass bolsters, that is very impressive.
Remember, I just took this knife out of the box. I have not cut with it or used it. These are just initial observations.
I really like it, but that late of lock up would bother me. My Schempp Navaja has pretty late lock up for my taste, but not that extreme. I just wish Ed would do more Lock backs like the Persian and Kris. Those locked up like a bank vault.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Both my Centofante Memories have very late (90%+) lockup, but so far, they're rock solid, and haven't moved. I'm more concerned about the detent. That is what will keep a knife out of my pocket, due to the real potential for accidents.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Got mine yesterday. Lockup was at about 95% +. Spydies I order usually lock up at 10% - 50%. I found gripping the knife a little awkward for me (but that's just me). I wished it was a lockback. I'll probably send it back for refund or exchange.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Michael Janich wrote: The only criticism I expect to hear is that the brass bolsters will show scratches with time. Yes, Captain Obvious, they will. They're brass.
That genuine made me LOL.

Back to the knife, it's the brass bolster AND carbon fibre combination that's putting me off- There's some Luddite portion of my brain going "Traditional bolster with high tech scale material?...404 File Not Found- Does NOT Compute!" and try as I might I can't seem to talk it around:D

That's a purely aesthetic point for me, and your mileage may vary etc etc ;)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, Daniel Boone probably would've had a carbon fiber handle on his Bowie too, had it been available.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well I just received my Schempp Bowie, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. Fit and finish are great. Lockup is solid, blade is centered, blade edge is sharp. The liners are crisp, but I wouldn't say overly sharp. Closed detent is definitely there. Not the strongest ever, but totally acceptable. It takes a good shake to get the blade to fall out. Not an issue. Lockup is at about 55%. This knife is better than I was expecting from early reports. I seem to have gotten a very good one, up to the standards Tauchung has set. I'll be carrying it today for sure.

Some pics.

Lockup isn't late on all of these. Mine is just a bit past 50%, smooth and solid.

swigert

Post by swigert »

Just ordered from CS. Im excited for his one. It's a little different from my usual taste. Also my first Schempp design.

Should be here Thursday if Jeff can get it out today.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

So for those with examples that have some issues, would you send back to trusted dealer or into spyderco?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Got one of mine today, everything is perfect except for the weak detent, by far the weakest of any of my :spyder:'s other than that its a stunner for sure and I'm looking forward to #2.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

swigert wrote:Just ordered from CS. Im excited for his one. It's a little different from my usual taste. Also my first Schempp design.

Should be here Thursday if Jeff can get it out today.
The down-tilted blade is really awesome on his designs once you get used to it. Feels very natural once you do some hard cutting. Mine is on the way and should be here once I'm back from my Whitefish snowboarding trip...I'm very excited to get it into hand.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden