New Gayle Bradley...disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Paddy B wrote:I have absolutely no problem sharpening. No expert by any means, but my edges consistently impress anybody who checks out my knives. That's not the problem. My problem is, what if I WASNT able to sharpen my knives, and just spent 160 bucks on what is arguably one of the best production knives on the market. What is the purpose of a knife? To CUT! I don't feel out of line and won't apologize for expecting a SHARP knife right out of the box. Lots of people send their knives off or use a local service to sharpen their blades, and I'm CERTAIN somebody like that would be PISSED if they spent 160 bucks on a knife that won't easily slice paper.
It really doesn't mean a thing if you're impressing people who aren't exposed to sharp edges. Just sayin'. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:It really doesn't mean a thing if you're impressing people who aren't exposed to sharp edges. Just sayin'. :)
True that. My edges from just 3 years ago wouldn't impress me today.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

****, didn't expect to come on this forum and get crucified. I just believe in holding manufacturers to tight qc standards, that's all. Nobody on here knows me personally. I never said I was the absolute ne plus ultra of knife sharpening. That said, I was not satisfied with the condition of my knife as delivered. The large scratch put me at the edge, once I saw it was as dull as the butter knives in my drawer, I decided to send it back. It's what sent me over the edge. I don't blindly worship at the altar of spyderco, and I think anybody that does is selling themselves short. I know I'm gonna continue buying and using their products, but I'm not gonna accept substandard quality examples either. I have mixed feelings about continuing to post on this forum, though. I've learned a lot here, but I can already tell there's quite a few people on here that just look for a fight.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Someone comments on your claims and they're looking for a fight? Hehe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agreed with you on the scratch, and to be fair everyone has a right to not accept the edge issue. I was merely giving my opinion. We don't all agree all the time. Doesn't mean anyone is crucifying you. I would just hate for you to get a bad taste in your mouth for the knife or brand because of this one instance. I would just exchange and move on. If the next one isn't super sharp I would personally just sharpen it myself but then I'm a sharpening enthusiast and I know not everyone is. It's good that we voice these concerns so Spyderco know about it, but then we get our exchange or refund or whatever and move on. The knife and brand are too good to walk away from for this kind of issue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol....This is a super nice forum.....go visit a chainsaw forum. Just hang in there. Its been very, very helpful
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

Lol!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the advice so far has been very quality and devoid of personal attacks. Perhaps you should separate the few responses deemed "crucifying" and assume we don't collectively think and speak together. I don't have a spokesperson and I am in no way acting as one.

You could always contact Spyderco instead of seeking advice from people who aren't employees.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I just don't think it's fair to automatically assume I have no sharpening skills whatsoever. Those were the personal things I was talking about. I'm not into mirror polished show off edges. I'm a construction worker. If my edges shave arm hair easily and push cut magazine paper I'm happy. I can get all my knives that way on my sharpmaker.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You should stick around. You're right, some people posting in this thread seem antagonistic. I have no idea why.
I can assure you that a Taichung-made Spyderco that has a blemish or is dull is not common. I agree that a knife should come sharp and the vast majority of Spydercos come very sharp.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Paddy B wrote:I just don't think it's fair to automatically assume I have no sharpening skills whatsoever. Those were the personal things I was talking about. I'm not into mirror polished show off edges. I'm a construction worker. If my edges shave arm hair easily and push cut magazine paper I'm happy. I can get all my knives that way on my sharpmaker.
Ohhh sensitive, aren't we?

What's fair? Claiming something and wanting people who don't know you from Adam to take your word at face value? Since you had an issue with an "obtuse" factory edge, the assumption wasn't ungenerous.
Paddy B wrote:I have absolutely no problem sharpening. No expert by any means, but my edges consistently impress anybody who checks out my knives. ...
knife nuts aren't just anybody when it comes to being impressed by edges.

I suggest you let it go before YOU go looking for a fight.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Paddy B wrote: Just had to vent a little, I expected a lot out of that knife.
Do you feel better now?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

senorsquare wrote:Do you feel better now?
Haha
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Man, call the whaaahh'mbulance
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wow, lot's of ganging up on the OP.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ABX2011 wrote:Wow, lot's of ganging up on the OP.
That's ok, I'm not in the running for a good guy award. ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Its cool. He just got butt hurt about the sharpening comment. I can't sharpen a lick lol....but, I do have not so thin skin ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm not attacking you when i say that I view sharpening a knife as part of routine maintenance. I find that sharpening, pivot adjustment and blade centering can all be part of the routine maintenance that a knife needs so as long as I can rectify these on my own I am satisfied. A knife that costs over $100 dollars should come sharp from the factory, that is true, but I sharpen all of my knives before I use them so it doesn't mean that much to me. I have found some of the more expensive knives with harder to work steels often come considerably less sharp than say vg10. I do realize that many people carry a knife for years and never sharpen it but if that is the case then why does it matter if it comes sharp or not, these individuals are going to be carrying a dull knife sooner or later and accept that level of performance. Most of the people I know who carry a pocket knife don't even own a sharpener. They are worried about how sharp it is when they get it but seem to not worry about how sharp it is after two years of carrying it. I have a buddy with a Kershaw Leek that has never been sharpened and he seems satisfied with it.

If you are somebody who likes to maintain a sharp edge then it is just a mild inconvenience to have to put the edge you like on the knife when you first buy it. If you are somebody who does not maintain a sharp edge on their knife then who cares if it is sharp or not. That is just how I see it. :)
Sully

Post by Sully »

Unfortunate issues with Spyderco knives, rare as they may be, is also what this forum is for -- at least it should be. Truth here benefits all here.

"Sharp" is a subjective term, still it is not too much to ask for from a brand new $100+ knife.

Hang in there, Paddy B.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Paddy B wrote:After a month of reading rave reviews, I finally spent what, for me, is big money on a knife. The Gayle Bradley was my decision. Ordered my specimen from amazon, got it this past Tuesday. Upon opening the box (sealed on both ends), I immediately noticed what I thought would be the best blade in my little collection. It was sealed inside a plastic bag (tamper proof, sealed heavy plastic bag). Once I opened the bag, I immediately had my first letdown. 1" long scratch in the carbon fiber layer of the scale. Immediately bummed that it got past QC with that. Opening the blade was excellent, though. SMOOTH and locked up authoritatively. The knife definitely inspires confidence. Then after looking the rest of the cosmetics over for flaws (found none), I moved to the edge of the blade. Took it to some notebook paper laying on the counter. No bueno. The paper just collapsed under the knife. Tried it on a draw. BARELY cut paper. This persuaded me to take a much closer look at the edge. It was very obtuse. More than the 40 degree slots in the sharpmaker would touch. Also, because of the obtuse edge, the point was **** near nonexistent. Dejectedly, I boxed it back up and sent it back to amazon explaining the issues and requesting a full refund. I'm still bummed. I LOVE the design and beefyness of the knife, but I'll be damned if I pay 160 bucks for a dull knife I'll have to spend hours reprofiling. Not to mention the cosmetic deficiency on the scale, which was QUITE noticeable. Is that obtuse blade grind common on that knife? I'm gonna order another once my card gets credited, but I think I'll go through cutlery shoppe and ask Jeff to hand inspect it before sending it out. Just had to vent a little, I expected a lot out of that knife.
I didn't read other posts so you may have heard this already. The description of your box (being sealed and the bag) sounded strange to me. Like it had seen other "people" before you after it left Spyderco. That could explain the scratch in the scale also. I think you have a good plan. Cutlery Shoppe is my favorite knife site. I've needed to call Jeff a time or two and he always works with me. Even when the screw up is mine. I ordered a serrated edge once when I wanted the knife with a plain edge. I called him and they took care of it. He has all the important issues covered. Quality, competative prices and customer service. Another good site is Howe's IMO. I don't think I've ever shopped for a particular model without checking those two sites first. And, if I find what I want I seldom look further. You can't beat either on quality or customer service. So that only leaves finding a cheaper price. Since I don't think I ever have found a cheaper price I normally don't even look.

Sorry about your experience being a bad one. Hope you get better results with Jeff. I'm sure you will.

Jack