favorite Schempp design?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GSO

Post by GSO »

The Spyderco Barong is perhaps the crown jewel of my Spyderco collection. I think it also one of the best slicers that Spyderco offers. Would appreciate a lil' barong though, much like how the Persian has a Mini Persian.
M1009 Man

Post by M1009 Man »

Definitly the tuff, Brother got one and its a tank. But he never uses it.....so far the only thing its been used for is collecting dust :confused:
Obsessed with guns, trucks, and spydercos

S&W MP .45acp

:spyder:Manix 2 XL
:spyder:Delica Sabre Grind
:spyder:Endura FFG

And my baby, a 1985 chevy M1009 :D
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

Id have to say navaja
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

stonyman wrote:Hello folks, been awhile. I think any Schempp design needs to be held and used, first. I lean more toward the S.D./tool side. I have the Kris folder. The more I hold work with it, the more I appreciate it. It is/was a hidden gem. It has this type of feeling of falling into your hand. It appears from pics only that the tuff has that same type of look. So much that I can say about the Kris, but fellow knifebro, Kaligman sums it up quite well, look up his vids about the Kris. Take care all and God Bless.
It's been a long time Stonyman :D . I like all of Ed's designs, as they are all incredibly ergonomic. Ed is far and away my favorite designer, and I have all of his Spyderco designs (and usually multiples of most). If I had to pick a single one of his designs, though, I would have to go with the Kris. It is an incredible knife and is still the official folding knife of Albo Kali Silat, even though it is discontinued. I really do love the Rock Salt for a lively, quick handling fixed blade though, and I have done some work with the Balance, Barong, etc.... :p
AKWolf wrote:I wonder what KaliG will think about the new Kerahawk.
I will say very little at this point, since I have yet to get my greedy little paws on the knife. I did put in a call to someone today, though, to discuss the knife. At this point, judging strictly from the prototype pictures, I think the curve on the blade might be a bit too flat. For best combative use, the knife blade on a karambit should be curved enough so that the point of the knife is parallel to your forearm when you hold the knife in a vertical fist (like a Wing Chun style punch) with your arm straight and your forefinger in the retention ring in the standard karambit grip. I won't go into all the reasons why this is best, at this point in time, but, if anyone is interested, I might do a video and go over these reasons.

Also, speaking of videos, and for the viewing pleasure of all you Ed Schempp fans, here are two videos where I do a bit with the Tuff--the first one an explanation of the blade and a quick demonstration of some combative features, and the second one showing some cutting demonstrations and more combative usages. Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.albokalisilat.org/schempp_tuff.html
http://www.albokalisilat.org/schempp_tuff2.html
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Thanks KaliGman for the "Tough" videos , I really enjoy your explanations and demonstrations. Sequimite that Kreined Barong is really awesome also.What a nice memento from Mr Schempp. :)
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thanks for the support, without you folks buying my designs I wouldn't have the opportunity to design knives. I really enjoy designing, it gets me excited and motivated. There is more stuff in the pipeline. I'm looking forward to giving you folks some options. Thanks for the kind words...Take Care...Ed
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Donut wrote:I did. It feels good when I'm not using the choil, but the edge is very far away from my hand. The choil, which is almost a 2 finger choil doesn't feel right when I'm using choil grip.

After handling the small persian, I thought "the small persian must have been made first and the large persian is just a larger version." I found out that is not true.
I have both and love them both for different reasons. I think the larger one locks into my hand nearly perfectly. For my hands it just melts right into it... I love that knife.

The smaller one does not lock in like the larger one, but I carry it in my bag with me to work every day. The size and shape just disappears so easily in pockets.

Thanks Ed!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Ed Schempp wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thanks for the support, without you folks buying my designs I wouldn't have the opportunity to design knives. I really enjoy designing, it gets me excited and motivated. There is more stuff in the pipeline. I'm looking forward to giving you folks some options. Thanks for the kind words...Take Care...Ed
Keep bringing them Ed. We're ready, brother! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

The Kris but the Tuff is a close second.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Ed Schempp wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thats great news! cant wait to see what you have planned!

MY favourite is the balance as well, i traded mine a while back, but i definitely need to purchase another
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
greenewk

Post by greenewk »

I looove my Persians, and they're the only Schempp's that I have so far. Had to get both sizes... although I definitely want to pick up some of the older micarta/bolstered ones -- a bit classier than my black G10.

Definitely going to have to fill out my Schempp collection.
BAL

Post by BAL »

M1009 Man wrote:Definitly the tuff, Brother got one and its a tank. But he never uses it.....so far the only thing its been used for is collecting dust :confused:
Gotta love them ole Chevy M1009 Blazers, they don't make em like that anymore.