Spyderco Ostap Projects

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jossta

Post by jossta »

dialex wrote:Just put a compression lock instead of the linerlock and I'm sold.
With a compression lock, I think this would quickly become one of the best in Spyderco's lineup. Minimally, I think it would be a big seller.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ostap,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Very nice drawings.

sal
Ry-Gon

Post by Ry-Gon »

Ostap I to am new to this forum . I like your designs very mutch. may i suggest you include a lanyard hole in the handle. in your original design there is one in the clip but not the scales or liners. keep up the good work!
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Very nice looking drawings Ostap. And welcome to the Spyderco forum.

If I may offer one thing I see right off that needs some rethinking. Your stop pin is really really small. Im guessing around 2mm. I would do my best to fit a larger stop pin. I would shoot for something around the 3.5mm mark.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Nice drawings.

One thing that I would consider changing is the way the butt end of the handle comes to such a sharp point. I think that might prove to be uncomfortable in the pocket and maybe hand. Perhaps this is why most of the Spyderco designs have somewhat more rounded ends.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Brad S. wrote:Very nice looking drawings Ostap. And welcome to the Spyderco forum.

If I may offer one thing I see right off that needs some rethinking. Your stop pin is really really small. Im guessing around 2mm. I would do my best to fit a larger stop pin. I would shoot for something around the 3.5mm mark.
mongatu wrote:Nice drawings.

One thing that I would consider changing is the way the butt end of the handle comes to such a sharp point. I think that might prove to be uncomfortable in the pocket and maybe hand. Perhaps this is why most of the Spyderco designs have somewhat more rounded ends.
You are completely right :rolleyes: So here it is corrected scheme of Spyderco Ostap (stoppin about 3 mm and rounded end) :spyder:

End of work today. Going to celebrate my birthday so I will complete new design soon :) Here its 2 a.m...

Goodnight and have a nice day!

Ostap
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Ostap,

congrats on your designs and happy birthday! Enjoy yourself! :D

Cheers,
skatenut
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Hi everyone!

My next little design. Small folder (5,5"), my first with compression lock. I dont have time to create a name so for now its

[CENTER]Spyderco Ostap Folder #2[/CENTER]
younggun

Post by younggun »

:eek: Man, this is friggin AWESOME! these should definetely be made into legit spydercos!
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

so very cool. i'd call it the mosquito!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'm not sure the screw for the clip wouldn't make it impossible for No. 2 to have that blade length. But it sure looks cool.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Donut

Post by Donut »

That one is very nice, I like the negative blade angle by contouring the handle.

A couple things suggest to me that you don't understand how the compression lock works, but we can let that slide. :)

The neck knife... is that large hole at the end a finger hole? If it is, I wonder if there will be blade angle issues.

Oh, and welcome. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

awesome work Ostap ! you definitely have skill with the CAD !
I really like the ostap #1 with the semi-tanto tip & the persian bladed one... they look great. i really like the handle design & the closed look. well done. very creative.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

Thx!
dj moonbat wrote:I'm not sure the screw for the clip wouldn't make it impossible for No. 2 to have that blade length. But it sure looks cool.
Screw holds on only one (right or left) liner. It's not going through two so blade lenght could be like this :)
Donut wrote:That one is very nice, I like the negative blade angle by contouring the handle.

A couple things suggest to me that you don't understand how the compression lock works, but we can let that slide. :)

The neck knife... is that large hole at the end a finger hole? If it is, I wonder if there will be blade angle issues.

Oh, and welcome. :)
Heh, you're right :rolleyes: I saw compression lock only in 2 pictures so it could be...

That hole in neck it's not finger hole ;)
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Ostap, you got one **** of an imagination. Great work! I would love to see the first design in a wharncliff / modified sheeps foot. Keep them coming!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I will say that if a knife like #2 could be made to work, I would totally buy one. It seems like it would fit in the palm very nicely while projecting a decent size of blade. It would look good, to boot.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

c.joe wrote:Ostap, you got one **** of an imagination. Great work! I would love to see the first design in a wharncliff / modified sheeps foot. Keep them coming!
So here we go!

Especially for You! :D
MCM

Post by MCM »

Drawing and art work are over the top!
Keep going!
Not feeling it yet, but maybe the next one!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Really nice designs, I would buy any of these! great work!
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Ostap

Post by Ostap »

As I said, next sheepfoot/warncliff design for c.joe. With 2 different edge shapes and "my" carbon fiber handle (I discover few new options in my graphic program :) )

Enjoy! ;)