ED Schempp Persian Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Large Persian Sprint Run?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 93

DRod

Post by DRod »

I'd be fine with G10 so long as its polished.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Deacon wrote:
Giraffe bone would be sweet. So would that "butterscotch" micarta Sverre showed, if it could be obtained, and especially if it could be contoured a bit (like on the Byrd Harrier) to show off its grain.
The micarta is yellow linen and is kind of hard to get now. I think that manufacturer (Bark River) stopped using it because of too great colour variations.

Contoured slabs show of linen micartas very well so +1 on that.

Lignum vitae is a nice, if a bit plain, wood for knives and smells great as well :)

No hurry Sal ;)

Looking forward to the pics Paul :D

Sverre
KaliGman

Persian

Post by KaliGman »

sal wrote:OK, let's chat.

We probably couldn't do anything before late '09 or early '10. We've got quite a few models "in-the-works" so there is already a queue.

I believe the maker has capacity so production can be done during the '09 year.

Maybe we can Ed to Chime in.

Sprints are always an iteresting project. The changes are always fun.

Damascus is possible, but usually quite expensive and out of the budget of many interested. I would guess blade or bolster would be possible, but I'd have to talk to the maker to see if they can do it.

I don't think a flat grind would be a problem.

I would want to make it lighter, but that's just me. Maybe holes in the liners, but I understand from another thread on another forum that some don't like the skeletonized liners?

Would you want to keep the bolsters or go to a full scale?

A larger hole is probably possible, but would require some new tooling. It would also change the "look" of the knife. What size hole would interest you Paul?

Woods are available, but limited. I don't think I'd go with a G-10. I think the "spirit" of the design would be happier with a non G-10 material. Maybe giraffe bone?

We have had some samples made with different materials. Maybe we can get some photos put up? Paul, if I sent you some protos to shoot, do you think you could post them? We're not set up to do really good photos in-house.

If we pull the Boye dent, we have to shrink the lock well.

sal
Sal,

Please don't make it lighter. I like the balance just fine the way it is. I would prefer Ed do a patterned Damascus for the bolsters. No real changes are necessary of course. The original remains a very solid, well thought out design.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Ed Schempp

The Persian

Post by Ed Schempp »

I'd be delighted of course to see a sprint run. Thank you for the interest.

When I made the prototype I had a difficult time in finding scale material because of the curves and width it requires wide material for scale. The width of the scales takes most all natural materials out of the equation. I like stag bone for cost and for application and it is a fairly traditional material but it is hard to procure the width necessary.

I do prefer the smooth handle material for two main reasons. My pocket does get abraded by the scale material every time the knife is stored or retracted from the pocket, so I like smooth material. The design is used as a skinning knife by many hunters and the smooth surface avoids two problems, abrasion to the hand in long and hard use and the difficulty cleaning after the project is done. I'd like to see a burgundy, blue, ivory or green Micarta for the handle material.

To avoid any retooling costs the design is fine by me. I wouldn't mind seeing the hole one more millimeter in diameter.

The hollow grind adds the back of the grind line to accentuate the curve of the blade. A 3/4 saber flat grind would be nice, still accentuating the lines of the knife while it would give the flat grind geometry advantages it would not change the look as a full flat grind would do.

Take Care...Ed
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Man hath spoken !

Let's make it happen in '09 :D

Ed, I'd agree on the grind lines accentuating the curve. Whilst not as prominent an upswept curve as on the Chinook , the grind lines make it look a lot smoother and curvier than it actually is.

I would LOVE to see a different micarta colour, and if it be good for Sal/ Spyderco, maybe even a different bladesteel. I would like to see H1 employed in this case or maybe even ZDP.

Blue micarta ... mmmmm, burgundy micarta ....mmmmmm, ivory micarta ...mmmmm :p Obviously with the design of this traditional 'ethnic' folder, the more conservative colours are more complementary to it. However, as per Spyderco's bucking of trends and melding of modern interpretations of traditional designs, the suggestion of more 'contemporary' hues might make it more appealing to those who like it a tad funkier :)

Whatever the outcome I'm sure both Ed and Sal can get something to satisfy the nuttiest of Persian fans..... nuts anyone ? :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Ed,

I think that if the Persian is being used for skinning, then the hollow grind is best. In skinning, the depth of the cut is not great (as in cutting cardboard for example) and the thinner edge goes higher up the grind.

I think I can add a mm to the hole size, there might be a very slight increase in the width (to maintain structural integrity).

It is a beautiful design worth effot.

BTW, The current National Geographic features the history of the Persian area. We have some close friends that were born in Persia.

sal
DRod

Post by DRod »

+1 for Green Micarta!
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ed Schempp wrote:I'd be delighted of course to see a sprint run. Thank you for the interest.

When I made the prototype I had a difficult time in finding scale material because of the curves and width it requires wide material for scale. The width of the scales takes most all natural materials out of the equation. I like stag bone for cost and for application and it is a fairly traditional material but it is hard to procure the width necessary.

I do prefer the smooth handle material for two main reasons. My pocket does get abraded by the scale material every time the knife is stored or retracted from the pocket, so I like smooth material. The design is used as a skinning knife by many hunters and the smooth surface avoids two problems, abrasion to the hand in long and hard use and the difficulty cleaning after the project is done. I'd like to see a burgundy, blue, ivory or green Micarta for the handle material.

To avoid any retooling costs the design is fine by me. I wouldn't mind seeing the hole one more millimeter in diameter.

The hollow grind adds the back of the grind line to accentuate the curve of the blade. A 3/4 saber flat grind would be nice, still accentuating the lines of the knife while it would give the flat grind geometry advantages it would not change the look as a full flat grind would do.

Take Care...Ed

Mr. Schempp,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I cannot wait for this knife. In case of micarta, I will need at least two. :) :p
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I'm fine with Burgundy or Green Micarta, though I think Ivory Micarta might be my preferred choice. I just like how Ivory Micarta almost colors like real Ivory with time. Only thing is that I'd want something other than plain SS bolsters with the Ivory Micarta to offset them. Obvious choice would be Damascus, but I'm sure there are some other cool options.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
DRod

Post by DRod »

Halfneck wrote:I'm fine with Burgundy or Green Micarta, though I think Ivory Micarta might be my preferred choice. I just like how Ivory Micarta almost colors like real Ivory with time. Only thing is that I'd want something other than plain SS bolsters with the Ivory Micarta to offset them. Obvious choice would be Damascus, but I'm sure there are some other cool options.
Dark Nickle... Yeah... The smoke chrome look. That sounds nice on a light color.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Love that "butterscotch" yelllow micarta and mosaic pin look. Maybe bronze bolsters might cost less than damascus yet give it that "vintage" feel?
SSB

Thanks Ed & Sal!

Post by SSB »

Your comments are indeed appreciated!
I think whatever you decide will be fine ,as long as a C83
re-appears ,hopefully with Green micarta. ;)
It's a beatiful knife but the bolsters seem to scratch very easily ,any suggestions for the new version?
Thanks to all who contributed here!
Keep up the excellent work Sal & Crew!
And Ed keep those marvelous designs coming ,I can hardly wait for the Barong & Khukri!
Regards,SSB :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the input Ed, and huge thanks for being ok with another run of the C83. :D

Micarta, in just about any color, would be fine. It's practical, decently attractive in its own right, pocket friendly, and doesn't hurt as much to replace as more expensive materials might for those who feel they'd be happier with something else.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I think ivory or brown micarta would be nice, kinda leaning towards the ivory myself. Looks like we will have another year or two to simmer on this one, but it's great to see it may happen.
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Wow, I am so in for one. I waited 2years+ for a Lum Chinese...I'd wait the same for another crack at a C83.

Burgundy Micarta for me. ANy other combination of Bladesteel and Bolster material works just fine.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Would definetely take one or two home. Not really a fan of ivory, but burgundy micarta especially, or green or blue micarta would be my preference. This time I will hang on to 'em.

Gave the two I had to a dear friend that hunts and really liked the first one I gave him. Kinda mad at myself in regards to the second one. He reports that on the last two elk taken he has used them both and they have displaced his old Portland made Gerbers for some duties with game. Easily two of his favorite knives. Mine as well, they are beautiful knives Sal and Ed. Well done.
WTC #1455
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

YES YES AND YES, plus PLEASE!
spyder spyder spyder spyder
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

sal wrote:We have had some samples made with different materials. Maybe we can get some photos put up? Paul, if I sent you some protos to shoot, do you think you could post them? We're not set up to do really good photos in-house.
When time allows, pictures would be wonderful. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Larger hole and skeltonized, yes please. To be honest, a sprint run with black micarta would be just fine by me.

The bolsters should be mandatory. Besides Damascus, are there any other design changes that can be done to the bolsters that would still keep the classy look?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm another one that found that the bolsters scratched easily and fairly deeply on my users. I'm generally pretty carefull not to keep my good knives in a pocket that has anything, including lint in it.They are the only spyders I've really had that trouble with. The design itself is as functional as it is beautiful, and I really love the feel of it in my hand ( the large one especially).

It would be a must have for me, and I'm cutting way back on buying. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
huugh

Post by huugh »

Corian is available in ivory color (and other colors too)...

Also remember if it is to be made in Japan there are readily available steel sheets of VG-10 laminated with stainless (soft) "damascus" (like found on many kitchen knives (e.g. Shun)), if you want to go "pretty".