Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jalcon

Re: Knifeworks M4 PM2!

Post by jalcon »

The last PM2 S90V CF on ebay was sold July 4th and went for $329 fwiw.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Well, I started this thread and declared that I would get quite a few a these, since I had forever fought for an M4 PM2. I got the BHQ ones, and I am not sure about this one. Weird how I changed direction on this exclusive simply because of a different offering.

So...should I still get one of these, even though I got several of the other variant? :confused: Ah, the dilemna.

For once, I just can't come up with any reasons why I should get this. The other one has scales that I like better, was cheaper, and will likely be very collectable in its own right in a few years. I'm kind of sick of peel ply CF, and that is the only thing that makes this one different from the cheaper BHQ version.

Will I regret passing on this knife that I was so excited about when it was announced?
You better grab one GS, you know you'll regret it once they are gone, I've learned this the hard way on a couple I thought I needed to pass on only to end up buying later on the secondary, and we all know how much fun that is. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

S90V/154CM selling for $800 lmao

That was a complete other beast though...

Would have been nice if Spyderco used different steels for the two runs instead of releasing two M4 runs in the same platform within weeks. Not complaining, but it would have been fantastic if the CF one was in M390 :D
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Man-oh-man I'm so on the fence on this one too. I put it in my basket on day one, then removed it, put it in, removed it, put it in...but just can seem to click the buy button. I kick myself for missing the CF s90V, a steel that I'm comfortable with. Somehow the less rust resistant M4 variant gives me pause. I'm only now going thru the paces with M2 on my relatively new GB2. So far so good, but still not enough pocket time to know. And in the back of my mind I keep thinking Sypderco is sure to release another CF variant of the PM with a more corrosion resistant steel like perhaps s110v? OR did I miss that one too?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Mako109 wrote:Somehow the less rust resistant M4 variant gives me pause. I'm only now going thru the paces with M2 on my relatively new GB2. So far so good, but still not enough pocket time to know.
Worried me too initially. Paused for about a minute, then hit order :D I think with a bit of oil it shouldn't be too bad.
Mako109 wrote:And in the back of my mind I keep thinking Sypderco is sure to release another CF variant of the PM with a more corrosion resistant steel like perhaps s110v? OR did I miss that one too?
If you don't mind changing scales you could always grab the blurple one and throw CF scales on it.

Does anyone know how hard these ones are?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Mako109 wrote:Man-oh-man I'm so on the fence on this one too. I put it in my basket on day one, then removed it, put it in, removed it, put it in...but just can seem to click the buy button. I kick myself for missing the CF s90V, a steel that I'm comfortable with. Somehow the less rust resistant M4 variant gives me pause. I'm only now going thru the paces with M2 on my relatively new GB2. So far so good, but still not enough pocket time to know. And in the back of my mind I keep thinking Sypderco is sure to release another CF variant of the PM with a more corrosion resistant steel like perhaps s110v? OR did I miss that one too?
They likely will at some point, but M4 isn't that prone to corrosion (will patina but rust usually isn't an issue). It's also a great steel as far as toughness and edge retention are concerned.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Fallen wrote:
Mako109 wrote:Somehow the less rust resistant M4 variant gives me pause. I'm only now going thru the paces with M2 on my relatively new GB2. So far so good, but still not enough pocket time to know.
Worried me too initially. Paused for about a minute, then hit order :D I think with a bit of oil it shouldn't be too bad.
Mako109 wrote:And in the back of my mind I keep thinking Sypderco is sure to release another CF variant of the PM with a more corrosion resistant steel like perhaps s110v? OR did I miss that one too?
If you don't mind changing scales you could always grab the blurple one and throw CF scales on it.

Does anyone know how hard these ones are?
What do you mean by "hard", blade steel?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I recall why I'm on the fence. Surfingringo started a informative thread where he reported on the great performance of M2 for fish cleaning and in use on his kayak in salt water environments. His experience is good testament to the quality of M2 steel, in addition to the precautions he takes to keep it corrosion free. The great Phil Wilson then chimed in and twice expressed his surprise at Surfingringo's positive experience with the M2 regarding rust...ultimately attributing such performance to Surfingingo's meticulous attention to maintaining the steel.

This is going to be very difficult for me, but I think I'll hold out for the chance that Spyderco makes a PM2 in CF and S110v (or other stainless steel). (I actually had an much easier time deciding to buy a car the other week, "OK I'll take the white one, Option Package A, and add the black step rails"...done.)
Last edited by Mako109 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Well, I started this thread and declared that I would get quite a few a these, since I had forever fought for an M4 PM2. I got the BHQ ones, and I am not sure about this one. Weird how I changed direction on this exclusive simply because of a different offering.

So...should I still get one of these, even though I got several of the other variant? :confused: Ah, the dilemna.

For once, I just can't come up with any reasons why I should get this. The other one has scales that I like better, was cheaper, and will likely be very collectable in its own right in a few years. I'm kind of sick of peel ply CF, and that is the only thing that makes this one different from the cheaper BHQ version.

Will I regret passing on this knife that I was so excited about when it was announced?
I'm not crazy about peel ply CF either, though the CF Manix2 XL is one of my favorites and I also picked up the 52100 Millie, which may become a favorite. I got the BHQ M4 PM2 and am liking it quite a bit. I haven't been much of a PM2 fan, but this knife has been turning me into one. I'm skipping the one from KW. But I think you're more of PM2 fan than I am, so if you want an example of most or all of the PM2's, you might regret it later if you miss this one. Maybe you could pick up just one example and maybe sell one of your natural G-10's to cut down on the guilt -- or if you're not trying to be comprehensive, you might not regret skipping it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Fallen wrote:S90V/154CM selling for $800 lmao

That was a complete other beast though...

Would have been nice if Spyderco used different steels for the two runs instead of releasing two M4 runs in the same platform within weeks. Not complaining, but it would have been fantastic if the CF one was in M390 :D

THIS. My biggest gripe is they are the exact same knife with different scales. I wish they would have made it in any other steel. My plan is to get both the Jade one and the CF one, see which I prefer, and then sell the other. i bet the jade one goes. It's just g10 after all.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I would've preferred a run of M4 Para 2's with black DLC coated blades. I think that would've looked awesome on the BHQ version.
MCM

Post by MCM »

jalcon wrote:The last PM2 S90V CF on ebay was sold July 4th and went for $329 fwiw.

Even though I used to be further down the rabbit hole as I am today, you made me double check.
eBay item number: 371274522236 shows 5 sold 1 still for sale at 799.00 on the 154/S90V model.
I had not seen that one go for more than the orig S90v Para2. Thanks for keeping me on my toes though.
Thought I was out of touch for a minute there. BTW the one at $329 didn't come up when I checked.

Not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out reality. I don't mind being laughed at when I am wrong. But when I am right? Not so much.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
animportant

Post by animportant »

I decided since I already have the BHQ m4 PM2 I will wait til another peel ply pm2 comes out and pick that one up, maybe in a year or two.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

MCM wrote:
jalcon wrote:The last PM2 S90V CF on ebay was sold July 4th and went for $329 fwiw.

Even though I used to be further down the rabbit hole as I am today, you made me double check.
eBay item number: 371274522236 shows 5 sold 1 still for sale at 799.00 on the 154/S90V model.
I had not seen that one go for more than the orig S90v Para2. Thanks for keeping me on my toes though.
Thought I was out of touch for a minute there. BTW the one at $329 didn't come up when I checked.

Not trying to stir the pot. Just pointing out reality. I don't mind being laughed at when I am wrong. But when I am right? Not so much.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Paramili ... nav=SEARCH

$430 Canadian
$329 USD

That's the only one I could find of the S90V CF PM2..
MCM

Post by MCM »

used.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Good call, didn't catch that.
WCC

Post by WCC »

Personally, I think the prices realised for the other two CF sprints have more to do with the very limited supply. I believe those were only made in 300 and 600 limited quantities, according to Spydiewiki. I also think as more CF editions are released the general price for a CF specific PM2 may become more stale.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

3V beats M4 in toughness and loses only a little wear resistance to M4. http://www.knifeart.com/3v-steel.html
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

WCC wrote:Personally, I think the prices realised for the other two CF sprints have more to do with the very limited supply. I believe those were only made in 300 and 600 limited quantities, according to Spydiewiki. I also think as more CF editions are released the general price for a CF specific PM2 may become more stale.
Agreed. And the next TWO exclusive/sprint PM2s (52100 PE/PS) will be peel ply CF yet again!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Mikael Andersson wrote:3V beats M4 in toughness and loses only a little wear resistance to M4. http://www.knifeart.com/3v-steel.html
3V edge doesn't last nearly as long as M4 edge. 3V has similar edge retention to S30V whereas M4 is comparable with S110V.