52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Cujobob »

Donut wrote:Did we ever hear why this one got Carbon Fiber scales?

All the previous knives with Carbon Fiber scales have been some of the best of the super steels. As far as I know, 52100 isn't in that class of steel.
52100 is terrific steel. It will take a fantastic edge, hold it well, and has a fair amount of toughness if I remember correctly. It's just not stainless. I can't legally carry a Military (and it really doesn't seem as comfortable to me as a Manix XL) so I won't be jumping on this one, but I would love a PM2 with CF and this steel. Or AEB-L.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ImageX wrote:Where did everyone get that 1000 number? Was it mentioned specifically for the 52100 or just a general sprint number?

I'm not losing hope but my odds are low since I waited until March to preorder. I highly doubt that shipping is complete from Spyderco though and it was just an initial batch. I wish someone from Spyderco could fill us in!
I'm sure you're right that this was just the initial batch.

The 1000 figure came from the thread: Optimal hardness for 52100

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1038870
sal wrote:Thanx for the input. I told Annika to make them 62-63, but I thought to check with my "consultant steel junky's".

Thanx for the input Cliff. Our heat treater is a metallurgist. I'll share your info with him.

I plan to put it in a Millie Jim. Mostly because I wanted one in 52100 as a work knife on the mountain. I figured you and Joe would probably want one as well. So we have 3. We'll make 1000. It was a real PITA to find it rolled to the thickness wanted. It's also a bugger to work with in a production environment. Not too many production folders out there in 52100. I can see why.

sal
I have a notion that the final number could vary if demand increases --just a notion.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

For those wanting more information on this steel as used in knives, the short thread about it on BF was interesting to me, especially the comments by symphonyincminor, Sal, and The Mastiff on the second page: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 2100/page2
I hope posting this link doesn't violate forum rules.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

DougC-3 wrote:
ImageX wrote:Where did everyone get that 1000 number? Was it mentioned specifically for the 52100 or just a general sprint number?

I'm not losing hope but my odds are low since I waited until March to preorder. I highly doubt that shipping is complete from Spyderco though and it was just an initial batch. I wish someone from Spyderco could fill us in!
I'm sure you're right that this was just the initial batch.

The 1000 figure came from the thread: Optimal hardness for 52100

I have a notion that the final number could vary if demand increases --just a notion.
Thanks for the info, Doug.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I remember right there was a thread discussing what heat treat to go with on 52100 and that was the thread that Sal said he would make the knife in Golden and make 1000 of them, which was long before it was verified to be a Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:Thanx for the input. I told Annika to make them 62-63, but I thought to check with my "consultant steel junky's".

Thanx for the input Cliff. Our heat treater is a metallurgist. I'll share your info with him.

I plan to put it in a Millie Jim. Mostly because I wanted one in 52100 as a work knife on the mountain. I figured you and Joe would probably want one as well. So we have 3. We'll make 1000. It was a real PITA to find it rolled to the thickness wanted. It's also a bugger to work with in a production environment. Not too many production folders out there in 52100. I can see why.

sal
1000 it is, unless it has changed since his post.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I picked up a couple. One to use and one to hold onto in case I love it and want another.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Put my order in with SSK. Paid a little more, but didn't want to take any chances on missing the next drop.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Im rollin the dice fellas.....if it comes thru with KC then great. If not, so be it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:Put my order in with SSK. Paid a little more, but didn't want to take any chances on missing the next drop.
GAAAH I caved and did the same. Changed my order from KC to 1. I called and they said it probably wasn't necessary because I'm pretty early on the list, but I'm not playing games on this knife lol. Now I know for sure I'll at least get one so that's a bit of relief. I really want a backup for this one though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I dont blame y'all one bit for payin a bit extra.
As tough as it was to produce this Millie (52100) I doubt will see anything else in it.....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have a LH Miitary and a couple older RH ones, so I will pass on this version, and on any others, unless Spyderco does another Forum Military or a left handed one in Odin's Eye.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The 1,000 pieces for the 52100 Sprint Run was from August 2015 but I hope Spyderco sticks to it. Not often do you see such a steel and as Sal mentioned: "bugger to work with in a production environment".
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SSK seems to be sold out now, but don't worry, this thing is just cranking up now -- more will come.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

MacLaren wrote:Im rollin the dice fellas.....if it comes thru with KC then great. If not, so be it.
Same here. My late pre-order is with KW, but if it doesn't happen I'll just carry my M4 one more often. :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
BTG

Post by BTG »

Mine just came about 20 minutes ago...wow is this baby light...this may be the easiest EDC'ing Millie ever...very impressed.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Im rollin the dice fellas.....if it comes thru with KC then great. If not, so be it.
Same here. My late pre-order is with KW, but if it doesn't happen I'll just carry my M4 one more often. :p
Man........that was just mean :p
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm really looking forward to this knife. I should receive mine hopefully pretty soon. :D I don't recall seeing this much excitement for a new knife since the 2013 Forum Native and maybe the Orange Dodo. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

MacLaren wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
LOL! :D I guess it's a good thing then that I did not post a pic in my previous post of said M4 Military? :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
LOL! :D I guess it's a good thing then that I did not post a pic in my previous post of said M4 Military? :p
Lol....now ya gotta post it up! :D