S90V Military!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Zenith wrote:I hope not as well. The Military with its domed pivot is a thing of beauty and usually only available in more hand made pieces. One of my favorite features of the Military.
I agree about the domed pivot. I think the Calypso pivot would be an acceptable change with equal beauty.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My eyes want this badly, my funding is not in agreement...

I wonder what it would have been like if these were $200 a piece and available at all the usual on line stores? If I ever win the lottery, just know there will be a quarterly sprint commissioned and I will not gouge you chaps. Colors not taken for the military...yellow, red, white, translucent? I would give you bastards what you want because I am one of you!! Pass on this one, just too much in this economy.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

twinboysdad wrote:My eyes want this badly, my funding is not in agreement...

I wonder what it would have been like if these were $200 a piece and available at all the usual on line stores? If I ever win the lottery, just know there will be a quarterly sprint commissioned and I will not gouge you chaps. Colors not taken for the military...yellow, red, white, translucent? I would give you bastards what you want because I am one of you!! Pass on this one, just too much in this economy.
Ya gotta buy tickets to win the lottery. :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Thanks JNewell and senorsquare, that's what I was hoping. Not sure I'm adventurous enough to give it a try until I see some more reports of others tinkering with theirs, ...
So, I tried to attempt a blade swap, but I could not for the life of me get the female end of the pivot screw off on the blue one. I don't really have anything to bust Loctite with (if that's what was holding it, not sure, nor did I really want to squirt anything into the pivot hole) and my Torx wrench started stripping the head of the screw (isn't it technically a bolt?). So, happy to stick with the CF and blue versions as they were intended by their maker.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have an olllllllllllllllllllllld bottle of Breakfree CLP that has some solvent in it that dissolves Loctite pretty quickly...not sure about the new formulations. Another idea is to warm the fastener with the tip of a soldering iron (warm, not hot).
RadioactiveSpyder

JNewell wrote:I have an olllllllllllllllllllllld bottle of Breakfree CLP that has some solvent in it that dissolves Loctite pretty quickly...not sure about the new formulations. Another idea is to warm the fastener with the tip of a soldering iron (warm, not hot).
Thanks again for the good tip! I might indeed try the Breakfree CLP or something like that. The Loctite was performing its job very well.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
black

Post by black »

shunsui wrote:Thank you, Sal, for the G10 S90V Military. Love it.

Looks like the jimping on the military is crooked. Does not look as crisp as the pra2s jimping. I the machine broken or what's going on lately with the military jimping? Seriously, the jimping on my militarys looks like it belongs to a $10 pos knife.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FWIW, I've tried a couple of CLP-type products and there's something in that old bottle of Breakfree that doesn't seem to be in the others. If I let it sit for a couple of hours the thread lockers seem to soften right up. The thing is that I can't tell you whether newer Breakfree versions have the same solvent in them. All the CLP products are basically mystery cocktails; there's no standard set of ingredients. The really old versions had tons of suspended Teflon solids in them. I am pretty sure the ratios and exact types of oils and solvents vary a lot, too. The good news is that if it doesn't work, nothing was harmed.
RadioactiveSpyder

JNewell wrote:FWIW, I've tried a couple of CLP-type products and there's something in that old bottle of Breakfree that doesn't seem to be in the others. If I let it sit for a couple of hours the thread lockers seem to soften right up. The thing is that I can't tell you whether newer Breakfree versions have the same solvent in them. All the CLP products are basically mystery cocktails; there's no standard set of ingredients. The really old versions had tons of suspended Teflon solids in them. I am pretty sure the ratios and exact types of oils and solvents vary a lot, too. The good news is that if it doesn't work, nothing was harmed.
True, and much less dangerous if I slip with the applicator versus slipping with a hot soldering iron!!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Everytime I see that picture of the Blue Millie/Para 2 I'm tempted to get a Blue Millie
And I NEED a Blue Para 2 haha
RadioactiveSpyder

And of course now we need a dark green Military too, to match the KW exclusive PM2. I hear K390 is a nice steel ;) .
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Ya gotta buy tickets to win the lottery. :D
Aw man, ya mean *that's* why I haven't won? :) In Texas, we added a state Lottery instead of state income tax, so I consider it a "voluntary" tax I don't want to pay. Guess I'll never win :D .
black wrote:Looks like the jimping on the military is crooked. Does not look as crisp as the pra2s jimping. I the machine broken or what's going on lately with the military jimping? Seriously, the jimping on my militarys looks like it belongs to a $10 pos knife.
I don't see any problem with the jimping on my militaries that I would call it a "pos knife". Only issue was that my blue/S90V one wasn't quite "shaving sharp" but that was easily remedied.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:And of course now we need a dark green Military too, to match the KW exclusive PM2. I hear K390 is a nice steel ;) .
I would like that very, very much :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:And of course now we need a dark green Military too, to match the KW exclusive PM2. I hear K390 is a nice steel ;) .
OOooHh a green sprint run Millie with K390 blade steel!! Sign me up! :cool:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yup....

Unfortunately KW will no longer do pre-orders. :(
RadioactiveSpyder

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yup....

Either way, a pre-order or opening up sales on a given date/time, we are going to crash that company's servers no matter what!! So what does it matter these days to go pre-order or just straight ordering, it's not like it will help either way when that crazed mentality for the next hottest thing grips us (and we've had two examples of that this year already with dark green Spydercos!) ;) . A dark green Millie would cause an equal bloodbath feeding frenzy for a few hours (or even just minutes, they may set a new sell-out time record!)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yup....

Can you blame them? I wouldn't do pre-orders either after the way people acted over the green PM2..
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

204P wouldn't be bad at all, either... :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Can you blame them? I wouldn't do pre-orders either after the way people acted over the green PM2..
Agreed. It's getting to a point that I'm hesitant about playing the game anymore too.
RadioactiveSpyder

JNewell wrote:204P wouldn't be bad at all, either... :)
Yes sir! Then I wouldn't need to try a blade swap again... Plus, then we'd need a K390 PM2, yada yada yada...

Chuck, you may have evolved beyond the need to play the game anymore anyway. Your awesome Spydie karma just lures them in from around the globe like you are some kind of finely-tuned electromagnet!