Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z4vdBt

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by z4vdBt »

Antibacterial soap was on the way out pre-covid19. Bacteria is beneficial as it keeps your immune system going. Those brought up on farms who drank raw milk are much healthier for it. Those who wash dishes with a cloth or sponge also yield immune benefits from my reading.

The science of soap – here’s how it kills the coronavirus 3-12-20

Alcohol-based disinfectants are also effective, but soap is a highly efficient way of killing the virus when it’s on your skin

Viruses can be active outside the body for hours, even days. Disinfectants, liquids, wipes, gels and creams containing alcohol are all useful at getting rid of them – but they are not quite as good as normal soap.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am
I wash my hands a little more these days but I haven’t changed much. I still live pretty carefree. I lick my fingers when I eat, I eat food after the expiration date, I eat chunks of raw fish off my dirty cleaning table, and if I drop food on the ground I pick it up and eat it. I think it’s good to keep your immune system trained and ready. My theory is that our overly sterilized lives are making the human species weaker not stronger. But what do I know.
That's how I've been raised too. However, since I work in retail and see ~200 people a day, I wear gloves, have a small plexi panel at the register and my clothes go straight to the washing machine as I get home.
I'm mindful of the safety recommendations and as such do not use my knives at work like I usually do because I'm not sure how to keep it virus-free (just in case) and not risk rust on it by washing it in soapy water every day.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

A big YES! I am literally affected every time I read updates. I feel so worried the continuous increase in the number of cases. I always look forward to more number of recoveries but sadly, it takes time for the patients to fully recover. It also spikes my anxiety and makes me feel paranoid. This is a real disease not only to our respiratory but also to our mental health.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

OrangeShoes wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 am
A big YES! I am literally affected every time I read updates. I feel so worried the continuous increase in the number of cases. I always look forward to more number of recoveries but sadly, it takes time for the patients to fully recover. It also spikes my anxiety and makes me feel paranoid. This is a real disease not only to our respiratory but also to our mental health.
Honestly, stop reading the updates. I learnt this in the credit-crunch. Keep abreast of developments once a week or so but don’t dwell on the news, it will affect your health and it won’t make your situation better. Unless you’re the president, or something, then carry on.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

There is the Coronavirus and there are the politics of the COVID19. I have yet to experience the former, except in avoidance practices, but the latter illness of blame and denial sickens me daily.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:04 am
Honestly, stop reading the updates. I learnt this in the credit-crunch. Keep abreast of developments once a week or so but don’t dwell on the news, it will affect your health and it won’t make your situation better. Unless you’re the president, or something, then carry on.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I know there’s some people who read about and watch reports about Covid-19 almost nonstop, because that is all that’s on the news, and they’re in a panic. My suggestion is to turn it off, or turn it elsewhere. If you become mired down in it, it will be overwhelming to the point of a nervous breakdown.

I stated from the onset of this whole thing that I refuse to buy into the panic, and I haven’t changed my position. And even if the worst happens, I still won’t panic over it. Because we can all do only the very best that we can. It is what it is. Beyond that, how we respond to it and deal with it are the choices we make, whether we choose to panic over it or keep calm about it.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am
I wash my hands a little more these days but I haven’t changed much. I still live pretty carefree. I lick my fingers when I eat, I eat food after the expiration date, I eat chunks of raw fish off my dirty cleaning table, and if I drop food on the ground I pick it up and eat it. I think it’s good to keep your immune system trained and ready. My theory is that our overly sterilized lives are making the human species weaker not stronger. But what do I know.
I think there is most definitely something to be said for everything you just stated. I've never been hyper-paranoid about hand-washing or whether or not food is eaten in hospital type conditions. I've lived in deer hunting cabins for weeks at a time with no electricity or running water and have eaten and cooked and processed food in not so ideal conditions and have not had any really bad problems in those types of environments. Now don't get me wrong because I am mindful of being clean and sanitary as possible. But I don't get ridiculous about it either.

At times on those hunting trips I would even take a bar of old fashioned "Ivory" soap and go to a creek or branch close by to wash my hands ( maybe once or twice a day max) while on hunting trips with no resulting problems. We quickly forget that our great grand parents used to live in those types of environments all the time not too many years back considering. And most of my grand parents and great grand parents all lived into their late 80s and well into their 90s in many cases.

That's a great overall point you make Lance ;) Also consider all the Amish people we have here in the state of Missouri. The Amish are some of the healthiest people I know of. I used to go hunting with some of the Amish that lived close to our camp and it's not often you ever hear of them getting sick either. And it's extremely rare to hear of an Amish person going to a modern physician or taking modern medicines. And all the Amish I knew personally lived as though they were still in the 1800s.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Today was the first time I've gone to my local Wegmans since it was made mandatory that you wear a facemask or else you can't enter the store. It was a bit odd, as it's the first time I put one on...but since everyone else also had one on, it felt more normal rather quickly...which is an even weirder feeling, to feel normal wearing a face mask in public :confused:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You shouldn't overdo the "no soap" thing. There are definitely times where it's appropriate. A hundred years ago people would die of infections from relatively minor wounds and cuts. Soap has pretty much ended that.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:27 pm
You shouldn't overdo the "no soap" thing. There are definitely times where it's appropriate. A hundred years ago people would die of infections from relatively minor wounds and cuts. Soap has pretty much ended that.
JD Spydo wrote: We quickly forget that our great grand parents used to live in those types of environments all the time not too many years back considering. And most of my grand parents and great grand parents all lived into their late 80s and well into their 90s in many cases.
This. Just because people got by not washing as much (and I mean washing, not disinfecting) as we do now outside of outbreaks, you should apply it now too. Let's not forget that modern medicine allows us to be well protected against things that would've seriously affected or killed our very own grandparents. As an example, would you apply the same dental hygiene now as they did then ?
And about the Amish point : they live as a secluded community, sure, but they're much smarter about vaccination than some 'modern' folk.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
SG89

Post by SG89 »

:spyder:
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't suppose you want to say what state you are in, but I agree that anything divisive is the opposite of what we need right now.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oops, I guess you deleted.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah I just figured it was probably too political for this forum.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree though SG. Folks like that are not good for society. I have said on here before that I don’t believe in fear and that I don’t practice it. Same goes for hate. Being filled with either one is toxic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

929F4771-2586-415B-8C2C-142FD39E1310.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:40 am
I agree though SG. Folks like that are not good for society. I have said on here before that I don’t believe in fear and that I don’t practice it. Same goes for hate. Being filled with either one is toxic.
It’s a yin and yang situation. One thing this pandemic is doing for many people is bringing out and amplifying their true selves in very obvious ways. There are some who crawl out from under their rocks to openly display their selfishness and hate. And then there are others of high character who are displaying true, selfless courage and care for others, often at great risk to themselves. Deep down, I have to believe that society at large will acknowledge the latter type and reject the former.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

I like to think that I am a philosopher and I understand that you cannot have light without darkness. You cannot have good without evil and you cannot have love without hate. I still think the world would be a better place without xenophobia.

There are other ways that some people can suck so that good people look better. :rolleyes:

Times like this is are a good opportunity to see what fabric people’s virtues are woven from. What I have mostly seen myself through all this is wether or not someone is self serving. We all can be to some degree but I know a few people who have surprised me recently with their every man for themselves mentality. Luckily the majority seem interested in the greater good.
-Darby
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yes, it often happens that you don’t really know a person’s true character until some crisis puts it to the test. It reminds me of that classic Twilight Zone episode, The Shelter.

Personally, I would be happy if all the xenophobes would simply cease to exist, but of course that’ll never happen. In their case, it really comes down to fear. No matter how tough-acting, smirking and in-your-face aggressive they might act about it, at their core, those types are really ruled by fear.

I really do see others who have made tremendous sacrifices for others, with (seemingly) little benefit to themselves. Like the woman doctor who left her family in the Midwest to help out with the doctor and nurse shortage in NYC. She was told by the hospital she worked at that she won’t have a job to come back to if she goes, but she went anyway. Some might consider that selfish, but it is really selfless. She didn’t have to do it, and she didn’t do it for the attention and certainly not the pay. She is only one of countless examples, and that includes people way outside of the medical field, like those who are shopping for elderly neighbors who can’t shop for themselves, often on their own dime. It isn’t the xenophobes who are making such people look better; it is their own motivations and actions.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am
Yes, it often happens that you don’t really know a person’s true character until some crisis puts it to the test.
“Circumstances don’t make the man, they only reveal him to himself.”
– Epictetus

What I love about philosophy, particularly Greek philosophy, is the focus on virtues. If you focus on refining your virtues then you will react the way you want to when faced with challenges. In a sense you appreciate hard times because they allow you to see what fabric you are made of. Without being tested you would never know.
-Darby