C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Massad Ayoob Cruwear vs Original comparison pics

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:57 am
mark greenman wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:59 pm

Excellent review / analysis.

I hadn't even realized the newer model is less pointy / had a different profile tip to the original until you mentioned it.

I wonder what inspired that change?

Probably has something to do with the hollow grinding process and wheel. None of the ones I've handled have perfectly symmetrical blade grinds (including my original). Maybe this is just how my examples are? I wonder how the plain edges differ.
Still learning the trade is what I took from what Sal had shared. The maker got way more right than wrong, but I went with PE as the SE was going to bug me.
benben

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by benben »

121F60A1-A08A-4D79-A04E-69D8A5DBBC82.jpeg
215ADB1E-05B0-4C5E-8C86-1E365D7205BF.jpeg
Love the angles, this is one knife that fits and works with just about any hand, no matter the size!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm glad they thickened the tip. I obviously LOVE Spyderco's line of self defense knives, and carry one daily. (IMO)Thin tips are a flaw with many of them. Even my favorite, the P'kal. I know everything is a trade off, and Spyderco leans heavy into cutting being the number one priority. On a utility knife I completely agree. On a defense knife I would prioritize a strong tip/piercing ability first, cutting second. The Ayoob model seems to follow my priorities.

Which isn't to say the P'kal, Matriarch, Yojimbo, etc. don't/can't function, I mean obviously I don't think that as I edc a P'kal, but they could be better.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

The thing is, somewhere around 99.99% of all ‘tactical’ folding knives will never make it past stabbing a cardboard box, so it makes a lot of sense to grind them for that purpose. It’s the same thing as SUVs and off-road driving.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:36 pm
…everything I noticed that differs…the machined "washers" on the inside around the pivot”.
The earlier Ayoobs being pinned, though, what leads you to suggest they did NOT have machined “washers”?

I was surprised to read that Moki didn’t use actual washers, which has left me wondering whether this (more expensive?) machining is the secret sauce in the old shop’s work.

Helpful review.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm
I'm glad they thickened the tip. I obviously LOVE Spyderco's line of self defense knives, and carry one daily. (IMO)Thin tips are a flaw with many of them. Even my favorite, the P'kal. I know everything is a trade off, and Spyderco leans heavy into cutting being the number one priority. On a utility knife I completely agree. On a defense knife I would prioritize a strong tip/piercing ability first, cutting second. The Ayoob model seems to follow my priorities.
Do you imagine this sprint’s saber-grind (and its resulting thicker tip) is closer to what Mas originally wanted? I recall reading the first sprint got him the G10 handle he originally wanted.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:54 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm
Do you imagine this sprint’s saber-grind (and its resulting thicker tip) is closer to what Mas originally wanted? I recall reading the first sprint got him the G10 handle he originally wanted.
couldn't say. I was never able to find much of him talking about the design. Mostly I get his reviews of firearm technique when I search.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Seems that it's going to be only USA sprint run. European dealers didn't get any.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michal O wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:21 pm
Seems that it's going to be only USA sprint run. European dealers didn't get any.
That's unfortunate. I'm hoping that this Sprint Run sells so good here in the USA that they will do more batches or even put the C-60 model back into full production again. I've been amazed at how fast this C-60 Ayoob is selling so far here with USA dealers. I do hope the rapid sales continue and I hope that more of the C-60 Sprint Run will be produced so that everyone who sincerely wants one will be able to get it.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I took mine apart to clean today. Why?,,, I was bored I guess. It was really dirty inside from the factory. Several paper towels were black after wiping all the parts with alcohol. Added some Mineral Oil assembling it.

Someone above said getting it back together was tough and I agree. I had a hard time getting the second liner lined up with all the D shaped pins.

I cant say the action is any better after the clean, seems about the same. But I know its clean now
Matus

Post by Matus »

Michal O wrote:
Many European dealers had / have these.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Maybe in Western Europe. I can't find any available in EU anyway. Do you have any link where they have it on stock?

I'm afraid it's going to be sold out quickly and available only from ebay for ~$450.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Michal O wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:10 am
Maybe in Western Europe. I can't find any available in EU anyway. Do you have any link where they have it on stock?

I'm afraid it's going to be sold out quickly and available only from ebay for ~$450.
I think you might have missed those with normal price(read: around 260€):
https://www.lamnia.com/de/p/70040/messe ... ge-c60gsgy

Seems you can still pre-order here (DE):
https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-C ... un-22.html

You might be able to find one here in CZ (I would recommend to contact then first per email):
https://www.kapesni-noze.cz/klasicke-za ... ated-edge/

This is a nice shop in DE - contact them whether they still expect some stock:
https://nice-to-carry.de/Neues-auf-dem- ... t-Run.html

One overpriced option:
https://soeldner-messer.com/Spyderco-Ma ... PM-CruWear

One massively overpriced option:
https://knyfe.de/spyderco/spyderco-mass ... u/sp60gsgy

I got mine here (Maxi, the shop owner is a super nice person and a proper knife nut), but I did a 'personal' pre-order:
https://altonaer-silberwerkstatt.de/

Hope this helps
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:36 pm
…everything I noticed that differs…the machined "washers" on the inside around the pivot”.
The earlier Ayoobs being pinned, though, what leads you to suggest they did NOT have machined “washers”?

I was surprised to read that Moki didn’t use actual washers, which has left me wondering whether this (more expensive?) machining is the secret sauce in the old shop’s work.

Helpful review.

They do but it looks like the shape of the machining inside has changed and the size of the gap between the blade and liners has increased a bit on the new one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michal O wrote:

From some of your posts that I've read, I can tell you right now you won't be happy with this knife. I don't say that to be rude or anything, just an honest opinion based on the feedback you've given about other knives. You may just want to skip this one.
~David
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Can you be more precise? I know it has some different finish than Taichung. Also I kept LT3. When I know what to expect I'm more forgiving.

PS Thank you Matus. I knew about Lamnia, but they didn't even send notification on mail when it was available.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michal O wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:42 am
Can you be more precise? I know it has some different finish than Taichung. Also I kept LT3. When I know what to expect I'm more forgiving.

PS Thank you Matus. I knew about Lamnia, but they didn't even send notification on mail when it was available.

Uneven blade grinds, uneven serrations, unfinished inner thumb hole surface, seems like you had some issue with boring clips but at least this one is somewhat different than most. All issues that most production knives have but like I mentioned before you seemed to be upset over some of these issues before and they're present on this one too.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed, if you have any OCD tendencies, this one to skip. No insult meant. As car guys say, this one is all go, little show.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I saw before your post, some pictures how that sprint is finished around hole etc. As mentioned, it's different when I know it before buy. Anyway even if I purchase one, I can sell it without problems if it will be not my type. But thank you for caring about my feelings. :winking-tongue

I'm trying to fight OCD and apply this approach https://youtu.be/07bucK4kYig
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:58 am
Agreed, if you have any OCD tendencies, this one to skip. No insult meant. As car guys say, this one is all go, little show.

There is a weird synergy with this knife I regards to the form following function design and the way the fit and finish lean more towards doing what is most important absolutely perfectly. I do think it's a nice looking knife but it is definitely more of a drag car than a show car.
~David