Military 2 Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How will you carry your new Military 2?

Tip Down - Right Hand (Factory Default)
31%
Tip Up - Right Hand
59%
Tip Down - Left Hand
2%
Tip Up - Left Hand
9%

Total votes: 58

Drubieg

Re: Military 2 Carry

Post by Drubieg »

I liked the military 1 tip down. I will probably start with the 2 tip down since I carry large blades in back pocket. Not opposed to trying out tip up tho
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:40 pm
The Military looks really good with the clip in the right position.

Not implying that for some tip DOWN might not be the "right" position, but as far as I am concerned: Completely agree with you.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Seems like TDRH has a lot of advocates being a large folder and the Original Military also being TDRH.

Still, Tip Up accounts for 64% (TURH + TULH). I would’ve guessed TURH by itself would account for two-thirds.

My Military S30V ComboEdge & Black G-10 from September 2005 never bothered me that it was TDRH and continues to stay that way. However, with the small folders (BL < 3”) that I’ve been carrying for years now they’re strictly TURH.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi I'mHereForTheMilitary2.

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:54 pm
Any updates on when this will be released? I preordered mine on bladehq ages ago

Is there a price difference? BladeHQ charges tax on my orders. I would cancel that and order one that is available now.
Still at National
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:49 pm
Any updates on when this will be released? I preordered mine on bladehq ages ago

Is there a price difference? BladeHQ charges tax on my orders. I would cancel that and order one that is available now.
Still at National

I believe preorders from BladeHQ come with a non-refundable $5 deposit. I “try” to avoid dealers which charge sales tax and if they charge for shipping specially for orders of $100+.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To me the tip up option is a real improvement, since it does not change anything for those who still want to put the clip in the "traditional" tip down position (those additional holes in the handle will make no perceivable difference at all then - unless one is bothered just by their looks. "Tip up" holes in the rear end of the handle also do not pose any risk of getting dirt to the pivot, which tip DOWN holes can a bit).

Also, tip up or tip down clip position is of course not only about carry, but also about ergos - one might prefer the clip tip down when the knife is in hand, the other tip up. More positions give options to try out

The thing I personally would prefer though, if I got a Millie 2: A tip up mounting position like on the Para 3 - so "in front of" the lanyard hole, more towards the handle front end, leaving less knife in pocket, since this is a very long handle already.
That said: I know I am certainly in a minority here and Spyderco definitely choose a tip up clip mounting position for the Millie 2 that most people will like better than the shallower carry I personally would prefer.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Article from Knife News quoting Michael Janich.

Tip-Up or Tip-Down Carry? Self-Defense Expert Weighs in

According to Janich, tip-up is usually the best set-up for smaller knives. In the tip-up position, the end of the handle is situated naturally at the back of your palm, where it needs to be to quickly deploy the knife. “What [tip-up] allows you to do with a smaller knife is draw it, open it, and use it without having to use any fine motor skills to adjust your grip,” Janich says.

But, the larger a knife is the more variables come into play. In some cases, carrying big knives tip-up requires you to move your hand forward to open them and get a proper grip. Here, you may be better off with a tip-down carry because it keeps your hand close to the opening mechanism, where it needs to be.

Other factors can upset these general rules. The size of your hand relative to the knife, and how much handle the clip leaves exposed can make one carry method preferable over the other.

The opening mechanism the knife employs is also a factor. Not all opening methods offer equal intuitiveness in high-intensity scenarios. A flipper demands more finesse and positioning than a thumb hole cutout, for instance. “These are the kind of the things that in a high-stress situation can fall through for you,” Janich says. “You really have to look at all the variables because there is no one-size-fits-all solution.”

Finding the right carry and opening method can shorten the path to fast deployment. But Janich believes that maximizing the benefits takes practice. “In any context, you need to have the practice and skill to go along with it – you can’t just talk about it.”
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

sal wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:41 pm
Hi I'mHereForTheMilitary2.

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:49 pm

Still at National

I believe preorders from BladeHQ come with a non-refundable $5 deposit. I “try” to avoid dealers which charge sales tax and if they charge for shipping specially for orders of $100+.
Normally I'd agree with you, especially if it was a knife I could get anywhere. I prefer DLT or GP, feels like they have better customer service and faster shipping. But as BHq was the only place offering pre-orders, I wanted to lock mine in early on. I had a feeling that once it came out you could blink and miss it. So I dont mind paying an extra few bucks in this scenario.

And for the record, I just checked my order on bhq and it is free shipping at least, with a few bucks in tax.