Larrin's New Knife Steel Book!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: Larrin's New Knife Steel Book!

Post by Naperville »

After reading a bit of this PDF, I'd say that Larrin ought to send out one page emails to universities, and departments (and professors) that offer degrees in metallurgy and let them know about the book. I think this could end up a required book for many seeking knowledge of the history of steel making.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Looks really neat. Sadly, for some reason it’s a whopping $126 CAD for the hardcover on Amazon, and ‘only’ 73 dollars for the paperback. 🫤
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Foehammer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 5:49 am
Looks really neat. Sadly, for some reason it’s a whopping $126 CAD for the hardcover on Amazon, and ‘only’ 73 dollars for the paperback. 🫤
With the conversion rate a $55 USD book becomes a $73 CAD book. A 500 page color book isn’t cheap to print. This is part of why I decided to offer the PDF.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Larrin wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:15 am
Foehammer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 5:49 am
With the conversion rate a $55 USD book becomes a $73 CAD book. A 500 page color book isn’t cheap to print. This is part of why I decided to offer the PDF.
Oh dang I didn’t know that it was a 500 page book! I’ll definitely be getting this sometime in the near future. I always liked your articles Mr Larrin, the book should be amazing. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

RamZar wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:30 pm
No Kindle edition? Kindle is ideal for large smartphones.

<rant>Amazon puts a digital lock (digital rights management or DRM) on content sold through their stores. You have your rights as the property owner severely limited when doing this (tampering with a digital lock is a felony). In addition, Amazon gets a cut of the sale. By selling a digital version direct, Larrin should get the Amazon cut, which I find to be preferable. Cory Doctorow talks a lot about this if you are interested in the economics behind this type of decision.</rant>

One thing worth trying is using Calibre to convert the PDF into a MOBI or EPUB file and load it on to your Kindle. I use Calibre for all my DRM-free ebooks on my Kindle. It's a great piece of software.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Just placed an order, should be here on friday, will join my Knife Engineering copy :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Larrin,

What are the chances of getting you to sign my hard copy?

sal
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:24 pm
Hey Larrin,

sal
As long as you bring it to Blade Show I would think 100%.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:01 am
RamZar wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:30 pm
No Kindle edition? Kindle is ideal for large smartphones.

One thing worth trying is using Calibre to convert the PDF into a MOBI or EPUB file and load it on to your Kindle. I use Calibre for all my DRM-free ebooks on my Kindle. It's a great piece of software.

I have a huge Kindle library accumulated over the past 15 years. I also store various PDF documents (including Spyderco Catalogs, Reveals and Price Lists) in the iOS Books App. All are downloaded so that I can read them without an Internet connection. Slight downside to the “Story of Knife Steel” PDF is that I had to download one copy each for my iPhone and iPad so I’ve used up 2 of 5 allowable downloads. Additionally, unlike Kindle where it syncs with my iPhone and iPad I have to remember where I left my last reading session. The iPad is easier on the eyes where you have a lot of images.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Larrin wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hey Larrin,

sal

Hi Larrin,

I won't be at the Blade show this year. Won't get back to Colorado until mid June. Can I mail it to you?

sal
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:13 pm
Larrin wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hey Larrin,

sal

Hi Larrin,

I won't be at the Blade show this year. Won't get back to Colorado until mid June. Can I mail it to you?

sal
Yes but you should read it first because I’m terrible about mailing things.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Starting on page 470, under the heading “The Future of Knife Steels”, Larrin shares his thoughts including which steels he’s working on and also mentions the Spyderco BBB 15V project. I could include that brief section but not without Larrin’s permission.

Also, starting on page 473 is a comprehensive list of REFERENCES which by itself makes for an interesting read.

The INDEX, starting on page 499, has many notable subjects and individuals including “Glesser, Sal 400-407, 437-38, 453, 455”.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larrin,

OK, I'll read it first. It should be here by Friday.

sal
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Had no idea this was coming but very happy to see it :) I’ll absolutely be buying a hard copy
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
I won't be at the Blade show this year.

sal
Well that's a bummer for us. Will not be the same without you. Safe travels!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cjk

Post by cjk »

JSumm wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:26 pm
sal wrote:
I won't be at the Blade show this year.

sal
Well that's a bummer for us. Will not be the same without you. Safe travels!

Big sadface. Safe travels Sal!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Will buy it for sure ;)
Thanks for providing an amazon link to various countries. I'm in France and it makes it easier to buy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:35 am
Will buy it for sure ;)
Thanks for providing an amazon link to various countries. I'm in France and it makes it easier to buy.

True.

No link for Austria, but that´s almost always the case since we´re a small country.
Germany (neighbour country) works perfectly well for me when it comes to purchasing online. :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I hope I may copy and paste Larrins last paragraph from that link (https://knifesteelnerds.com/2023/05/09/ ... er-steels/)

"One of the best things you can do to help is to review the book on Amazon. That will boost it on Amazon and let people know that it is (hopefully) a high quality book that others have enjoyed. After putting so much work into this book I am anxious to hear what people think!"

I think we could do that, right? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On page 406 of Larrin’s new book he mentions that Spyderco has “used over 80 different steel types since the company started”. I knew it was a lot but not that many!