HH UKPK drop point exclusive. NOW DROPPED

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: HH UKPK drop point exclusive. NOW DROPPED

Post by Enactive »

I just got one ordered! I'm excited, it's been years that i've been waiting for a G10 drop point UKPK.
R100

Post by R100 »

Superfool wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:28 pm
I got a HH UKPK DP as a warranty replacement a while back, (backspacer broke on a HH UKPK) and while it's a perfectly good knife I don't really see any benefit to the shape over the leaf.

To all those who prefer the DP, what is it that makes you prefer it over the leaf?
As well as being a superior skinning/thrust cutting blade, the drop point works better for food prep - on a cutting board or for spreading butter etc. This makes it a great knife for travelling and as a bonus it looks less pointy and threatening to non-knife people. I prefer the look of the leaf shape but find the drop point more generally useful, especially as a backup to a larger, more "serious" knife.

I have already ordered one to go with my HH leaf shape. Great price for a G10 UKPK, actually almost the same price delivered to Australia as an frn/bd1n version from the USA.

Dan
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh yes, I forgot to say a big thank you to Chris for the earlier notification about this model to get on the newsletter list.

Thank you, Chris!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I ordered one. I have the yellow salt UKPK and its a nice knife. $105.92 shipped to Florida
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:49 am
Anyone have trouble with the checkout not working?

EDIT: Ordered. I had to end up going through PayPal to get it to work.
Same for me,, kept getting an error with credit card until I selected Pay Pal
Matus

Post by Matus »

Concerning the blade shape - I agree with what has been said above. Flat profile of the leaf may be more practical as a utility blade for opening boxes or slicing carboard - but if I have the choice I am using locking knife for that.

For a slipjoint EDC I much prefer the drop point - as I don't want necessarily to be stabbing things that I am trying to slice (a pizza in box, any kind of food on a cutting board, etc,) And I think that the way Spyderco designed the drop point on the UKPK is a very good compromise - the tip is very much usable if one needs to puncture some plastic packaging or such.

In short - I like the leaf shape a lot and think it is in many cases the most universal one, but on the UKPK I just really enjoy the drop point :)

... and yes, I have just ordered this exclusive one
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Very, very tempted to try a Golden G10 HH UKPK after being slightly disappointed by the HH Urban.
Don’t think I can justify it though
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:12 am
Very, very tempted to try a Golden G10 HH UKPK after being slightly disappointed by the HH Urban.
Don’t think I can justify it though
The first Golden made HH UKPK was far superior to the Maniago Urbans and I have no reason to suspect this will be different. Delivery is due tomorrow so I will let you know!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Appreciate that, even though I suspect it will only make it an even harder decision :)
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Verifying my age by submitting video of my face to be analyzed by AI was a little unnerving, but I’m sure it will be worth it.

With the change in exchange rate, it was the same price as the leaf blade version from 2019.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Mine says it shipped.. no idea how long it takes to get here from across the big wet thing, but I’ll likely check the shipping updates every 45 minutes until it shows up…
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

ekastanis wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:53 am
Verifying my age by submitting video of my face to be analyzed by AI was a little unnerving, but I’m sure it will be worth it.

With the change in exchange rate, it was the same price as the leaf blade version from 2019.
I wondered for a moment if I’d look less than 25; I didn’t.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

ekastanis wrote:

I didn't know what you were talking about here, but I just ordered one and got the age verification email too! I've never heard of such a thing! I've bought A LOT of knives over the years and no retailer has ever required anything like this. Maybe it's the entitled American in me, but that'll be the $@^%@$# day I let some third party app take pictures of myself or my personal documentation so I can buy a knife!

I sent an email to HH saying that if they couldn't verify that I was over 18 based on my past UKPK order, a valid email address, or my paying by paypal/credit card.. then they could go ahead and cancel the order. I'll update with how they respond. Hopefully common sense will prevail here because I think this is going to be a really great knife..

*Edit* UPDATE: Nick from HH replied in an extremely timely manner, stating that my order had been received, my age was already verified due to the past order, and my UKPK will be posted (how delightfully British) today! Seems I got all wound-up over nothing, as I sometimes do.. :zany
Last edited by DSH007 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rick,

Amen!

sal
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:43 am
Hi Rick,

Amen!

sal
Hi Sal,

This just made my day! Thank you.

Rick
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:35 am
ekastanis wrote:

I didn't know what you were talking about here, but I just ordered one and got the age verification email too! I've never heard of such a thing! I've bought A LOT of knives over the years and no retailer has ever required anything like this. Maybe it's the entitled American in me, but that'll be the $@^%@$# day I let some third party app take pictures of myself or my personal documentation so I can buy a knife!

I sent an email to HH saying that if they couldn't verify that I was over 18 based on my past UKPK order, a valid email address, or my paying by paypal/credit card.. then they could go ahead and cancel the order. I'll update with how they respond. Hopefully common sense will prevail here because I think this is going to be a really great knife..

*Edit* UPDATE: Nick from HH replied in an extremely timely manner, stating that my order had been received, my age was already verified due to the past order, and my UKPK will be posted (how delightfully British) today! Seems I got all wound-up over nothing, as I sometimes do.. :zany
I’m glad it worked out! Retailers here have to tread with increasing care because it’s proven easier for politicians & the sensation seeking press to target the law-abiding than actually seek out law-breakers. :/
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Nice knife, but I'm photo shy, so no go. I'll wait for a UKPK drop point in a different steel like MagnaCut from a US distributor. FRN is OK for me.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Yeah, I know Nick from HH and he is a cool guy. My UKPK is in the mail. Can’t wait. I started to appreciate that “stretch-like” blade more and more. In fact I realized that apart from being very useful for most of my mundane tasks that funky shape is quite appealing… at least for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Have the HH leaf, S110, BD1N drop point, and green salt. My preference for the UKPK is G10 leaf PE.

I went ahead and ordered one as it is a unique knife and not too much $$$.

It was a bit cumbersome to get the order in and it took multiple efforts at all checkout stages but I finally made it through.

Had to use PayPal even though card is ok for international purchases.

Had to take off my readers before face recognition confirmed my wrinkly potato face was sufficient to pass age verification.

Now waiting to see if the knife arrives.

Thanks for the heads up, one I would have missed out on.

CG

PS: 11 calendar days for this one to arrive for those that are stressing about their order.
Last edited by cycleguy on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It just arrived… & it is as every bit perfect as the previous HH UKPK!

Well chuffed!