We need a new “cut kit”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Re: We need a new “cut kit”

Post by Naperville »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:12 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 pm
This was "back in the day", so it might be challenging. Any of you have one or remember what was in it
Yes. In fact, I have an old school cut kit right here in my desk drawer. See the attached picture.

"Back in the day," our cut kit was a roll of 3M vinyl electrical tape, because there was work to be done, we were hard men, and there was no time for screwing around. The only reason to tape up a cut was to keep from making a mess on whatever you were working on.

Nowadays, the cut kit would need to have a sheet of paper and a blunt pencil (or sparkle pen) so you could fill out a Job Hazard Analysis before you even got the knife out of your pocket. The blunt pencil could also be used to submit your request to take the rest of the week off. A modern kit would also have latex gloves, a face mask, and a tissue for wiping the tears of whoever was cut. Oh, and let's not forget the Band Aid. It would have to have a Band-Aid, preferably with Hello Kitty pictures.

P.S.
I just googled on "spyderco cut kit" and came up with pictures for several different versions. I appears there was a combo edge Ladybug in the kit. Something so sharp and dangerous seems contrary to idea of having a cut kit. I'd have to confiscate that on the first day... for safety reasons.

IMG_5216.jpeg
:squinting-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I recommend 2 packets of "QuickClot" and 2 North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seals.

If Spyderco buys in bulk can we manage to get these "cheap." Under or around $125? If so I'd like to get at least 2 of these if they have all the goodies recommended.

I have a tourniquet and quick clot in the car now, but if you can get a better price than retail that would be excellent.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think teaming with an existing maker of first aid products would be beneficial rather than going your own. Examples would be Adventure Medical Kits, Rescue Essentials, or similar.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, I would also just focus on cuts. People can expand their kits for other wounds if they wish, on their own.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Different sizes of Band-Aids, Steri-Strips, sterile swabs, surgical tape, non-adherent pads, and a small folder...
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Ladybug Salt woth combo edge! **** yes.

A blood loss specific kit like the cut kit would also be great for the shooting range

I'm in for at least one
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Super glue, butterfly closures, alchohol wipes, gauze, medical tape, bandaids....
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I see no reason to overcomplicate things from the factory. Many items can be added afterwards by the ELU. I think a basic first aid kit, similar to the original Cut Kit, plus a Ladybug Salt would be ideal.

Again, to me Vanquest seems like a good source for a pouch because their existing relationship with Spyderco. I haven’t looked through their whole lineup of products but I’m sure they have something that could work.
- Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd likely buy a couple. Been making my own for all my adventure bags and vehicles for a while. Can never have too many as they get used often!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have the joy of having med bags with lots of booboo solutions. I like liquid stitches aka glue and butterfly bandages. If you don’t have that, this can help
Did anyone mention tourniquets?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RustyIron,

Your a funny guy.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wait, as I suggested in a related thread, have people here not already made their own cut kits? What manner of prepper are you that you would EDC a Spydie but not be ready at least for booboos and Spyderbites?

[EDIT TO ADD: :thinking]
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 pm
I'll see if we can chase down what we did. This was "back in the day", so it might be challenging. Any of you have one or remember what was in it and the package? No promises. I remember it contained a Ladybug as well as other stuff; tweezer? Bandaids, etc.

sal
My research shows.......

Originally made in the mid-1990's
-zippered pouch with Spyderco logo
~first aid tape
~Ladybug with yellow handle
~steri-strips
~bandaids
~tweezers
~gloves
~ointment
~alcohol swabs

And I would buy half dozen for members of family and myself.

Do I get credit for pictures of what it looked like inside and out !!??

https://imgbb.com/DrymkKB

https://imgbb.com/vQCH9qd

Ric

Post by Ric »

Need to repost from the other thread:

Cool thing.

Small (legal) knife
Scissors (rescue style)
Tweezers
Motivational coin (the edge is no ghost anymore / bloody sharp and tested / cut once aid twice...)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 pm
I see no reason to overcomplicate things from the factory. Many items can be added afterwards by the ELU. I think a basic first aid kit, similar to the original Cut Kit, plus a Ladybug Salt would be ideal.

Again, to me Vanquest seems like a good source for a pouch because their existing relationship with Spyderco. I haven’t looked through their whole lineup of products but I’m sure they have something that could work.
Agreed. Many people are asking for things they won't want to pay for when the bill comes due. It's meant to be a "cut kit" not a trauma pack. A good pouch with some extra room will allow for expansion by the user.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Max

Post by Max »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:19 pm
From Joyce...

They were available approx. 1992-1994 and back then MSRP was relatively high at $42.95.
Kit included:
A yellow serrated Ladybug, steri strips, multiple sized Band-Aids, latex gloves, tweezers, antibiotic cream and antiseptic towels.
I had the red one. The Lady bug in mine was black. I think it was a factory second as the O envraving of Spyderco is not fully finished.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i just carry butterfly bandages, gauze, tape, and super glue (just in case). i also know the way to the nearest e.r. pretty well. :rofl

i think it's a cool idea, but i almost never like pre-packaged first aid kits and prefer to build my own based on the outing/activity/my own first aid skill level.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Just grabbed my glove box pack...will do a pic later.
Hmmm...the paracetamol is 3 years out of date. :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is cool for an unusual collectables thing but I really like to put together my own first aid kits, I'm pretty picky about what goes into it since it might be kinda critical when it comes time to use it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks think I will wrap medical tape around a tube of crazy glue for a super small booboo kit. I do the same with a nice lighter and duct tape for backpacking.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.