Has the Paramilitary 2 ship sailed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Is the Paramilitary 2 done?

Yes, it's a dead horse that we'll be kicking for another year plus.
22%
No, it's got life left.
26%
Not if they get creative again, too much overlap.
7%
The frequency is too high to seek them all. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
20%
I love 'em so keep 'em coming! Especially if they're easier to score. They will sell out eventually.
25%

Total votes: 136

Manixguy@1994

Re: Has the Paramilitary 2 ship sailed?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:48 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:11 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:58 pm
I only have one PM2, a basic S30V model. The only other PM2 I am interested in buying is the CutleryShoppe PM2 wharnie, if they ever make another run.
Email from Cutlery Shoppe That I received , a Wharnie is in the works but no timeline. I only have two PM2 models , nothing wrong with the knife I just want different knives that interest me . MG2

I wonder if they will make it in CTS-XHP this time. Regardless of the steel they use, it's something I look forward to. Thanks for sharing the good news :smlling-eyes
If not standard black and the new S45V , I would expect one if CTS-XHP in Orange G10 which is a CS color . Just a guess . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

No way. The Crucarta PM2 has sold out in either minutes or hours each time it's dropped.

Both Fradon Lock and Cutlery Shop have fugly exclusives - sorry, it's true. I almost picked up the CS exclusive just to order some Micarta for, but that would've made it a $350 knife - too much when the Crucarta is just $200.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I do want the Cutlery Shoppe wharnie and the BQ Tanto. Doubt I'll get one as I believe these are still popular so they will sell out fast again. Too fast for me to jump on. What I really wish is for these to be released as regular production models.They are not specialty designs or collectors models the blade shapes serve a different purpose, a real purpose that the standard blade shape doesn't.
Matus

Post by Matus »

It is just a supply and demand, nothing else. PM2 and its countless versions are not going anywhere. Maybe if few exclusives in a row will be a bit slower selling, we will see a gentle decline in the pace of their introduction. Maybe one day a different knife from Spyderco will take the lead and PM2 will take the second seat. But for now that is not in sight.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I don´t think it is going anywhere.

Personally it is not my top-top favorite, but still just a great knife and I could not complain if my S30V PM2 was my only folder.

Do I personally feel there are too many PM2 (and Para 3) exclusives / sprints compared to other models
Yes, but it does not really bother me, cause I am almost always happy with the "basic version" of a model anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

It's probably the most popular knife from Spyderco with the Delica. This forum is its own bubble. It's here to stay.

It desperately needs to evolve though and it's kind of puzzling why Spyderco are so hesitant at doing so. I thought a FRN version would be a given, but after years... nothing happened.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted too much overlap, but honestly most of those answers are correct in some ways.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just oversaturation for now. Also Fradon version is a higher cost and Cutlery Shoppe version is ugly.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The design is timeless and has been CQI'd to near perfection, the PM2 isn't going anywhere. The last few years has been too much though, it feels like 1/4 of all Spyderco production goes towards the PM2.
So it goes.
benben

Post by benben »

It’s not going anywhere! I have two, a Green 204P and a Red M390, both are excellent knives. They just don’t get much love here with my K390 Endela and my Cru-wear Manix sharing the same sock drawer!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Gotta agree with the majority, it's definitely not going anywhere. It's one of Spyderco's most iconic designs and clearly a hot seller. I, as an avid fan would certainly appreciate them/dealers pumping the brakes a bit on all the exclusives and give some other models some love. We've been saying this for a few years now though. Can't fault Spyderco, why turn away from guaranteed money??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

To be honest, I’m just glad it’s a model that I’m not particularly interested in. If the Shaman, Manix or Stretch had this many variations…I might be in a bit of trouble, personally.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:41 pm
No it hasn’t bottomed out. The more expensive PM2 exclusives generally take a while to sell out, and the Fraden Lock one is one of the pricier ones in a while. The Cutlery Shoppe exclusive is pretty unique with two different colored scales so maybe it turned people off somewhat. I’m sure there is also some oversaturation at play since there have been a lot of PM2 exclusives the past few months.

I think if there is a little hiatus in the PM2 exclusives then people will get excited for them again, especially if one comes out in an exciting steel/handle material and is priced reasonably.

This, plus the PM2 is what I think a gateway Spyderco. When newbies are trying to decide what their first Spyderco will be it is often a PM2. So it’s great to have a an abundance of choices for your first. It’s seems like there is always a PM2 flavor for anyone at any given time, and that’s not a bad thing.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
araneae

Post by araneae »

The OP is drawing from a small sample size and making a big claim and that is a great way to make false assumptions. The PM2 is an icon that may reach Buck 110 status one day. There a LOT of exclusives, definitely, but the PM2 isn't fading. If anything the market has been a bit over saturated lately, and people have to pick and choose. It's not one of my favorites, but there are lots of users, collectors and fans out there that will keep this knife in production for a long time to come.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I agree that too many exclusives were dropped too close to each other and temporarily flooded the market. However, if the pace slows, they should still sell. After all, limited release Buck 110s still sell out.

I would like a titanium scaled, Magnacut PM2 to be released. The "low grip strength" mafia will make sure it never happens due to claims of the knife being too slippery. Other makers have titanium scales with no scary tales of lacerated fingers being told around the campfire. :eye-roll
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Just a brief lull because of a momentary over market saturation it would appear. :yawn
phaust

Post by phaust »

The fact they still sell out seems to show it's not over, even if they sell out slower than before.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Seems like there is a new one every week and they keep selling. I don't know of another knife that is capable of this.

Have to agree that exclusives have gotten a little too frequent.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bottomed out in terms of the model/design itself, or in terms of its exclusives?

As others have already mentioned, the PM2 is here to stay. It’s one of Spyderco’s most popular models and top sellers, even without exclusives.

Luckily for me, I do not, and have never cared about exclusives of any model, so the popularity or lack of same for exclusives doesn’t affect me. I own only two PM2’s, neither are special editions, except possibly my S35VN version, and apparently that wasn’t considered too special. The PM2 still ranks among my favorite designs, even if I feel no obsession to acquire any more.

Jim
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

This is one of the best designs in knives ever, in my humble opinion. I think that economy is down a bit, and that's probably not helping sales. I don't think it's lack of interest.