I want a 4” Spydiechef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: I want a 4” Spydiechef

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 am
I always wonder why food prep people don't just bring something cheap and simple, like a Z Cut knife along with them when they plan on using a knife on food. Cheap, plenty of cutting edge, no problems with gunk in the pivot and what not. Problem solved.
This is Inching towards the same type of logic that anti pocket knife people use against us.

Why don't pocket knife people just bring along scissors for :insert hundreds of things here:

Why don't pocket knife people just bring along a utility knife for that cardboard box

Why don't those pocket knife people just bring along a seatbelt cutter

It goes on and on because a pocket knife is a compromised cutting tool, it is a jack of all trades tool meant to take the place of as many cutting tools as possible. Dogging on guys for cutting their food makes the same amount of sense as doing the same for cutting up a box instead of using a utility knife.

Besides, if you really want to see just how well your knife slices and just how sharp it is, go slice a tomato as thin as possible. If you get gunk in the pivot........

David, since I am sure you did NOT read my post from 20 minutes before yours, it is almost spooky how you said almost exactly / literally the same as I did there... :flushed see here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91486#p1587168

(just a short quote out of MY post:
" Why don´t people always bring a box cutter when opening packages and processing cardboard?
- Why don´t people always use scissors for cutting of threads and stuff like that?
- Why do people make fire or cut a walking stick with their EDC folder and don´t bring a larger scandi grind fixed blade?"
)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Don't forget to ask Marcin too! :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would imagine Marcin Slysz would need to be the one to redo and submit a design for a larger Spydiechef.
- Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Make a sheath and you can carry a Z Cut in your pocket...
I think you are perhaps missing the point here (not meant offensively!)
I could say along those lines:

"Make a sheath and carry scissors"
"Make a sheath and carry a box cutter"
"Carry a small fixed blade in a sheath GENERALLY

Again: For MOST tasks an EDC folder is not the most perfect cutting tool. It is MEANT to be a Jack of all trades.

Why should food prep be treated differently than other cutting tasks?
And as David and I laid out: If one loves Spyderco-pocket knives, cutting food is an excellent way to experience and compare their designs.

(Plus: EDC tasks often or most times occur without one having planned for that particular task before hand. True also for food prep (on the road. In kichens of dull-knives-people and so on).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:09 am

Who is "Marcin"? :thinking (Honest question, no idea..)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:34 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I always wonder why food prep people don't just bring something cheap and simple, like a Z Cut knife along with them when they plan on using a knife on food. Cheap, plenty of cutting edge, no problems with gunk in the pivot and what not. Problem solved.
JRinFL wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Agreed. Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars on food prep knife that is already sub-par for the job being a folder? And if you really have to use a folder, Victorinox makes a very inexpensive food prep folder.
I get and respect your arguments, but on the other hand: If one follows through on your logic, at what point is an EDC knife obsolete anyway?

- Why don´t people always bring a box cutter when opening packages and processing cardboard?
- Why don´t people always use scissors for cutting of threads and stuff like that?
- Why do people make fire or cut a walking stick with their EDC folder and don´t bring a larger scandi grind fixed blade?
- And so on..

What I am trying to say:
- Even our best EDC folders are very often "subpar for the/a job" than a cheaper, but dedicated for that specific cutting task (cutting) tool would be!
- Many here do and enjoy to do other "dirty", risking-gunk-in-the-pivot jobs aside of food prep with their Spydies (I certainly do!)

For me a big part of the fun, fascination and joy this hobby brings exactly IS to have a great, universal, do-it-all folder in pocket, that still will be "master of none".
And experience and getting to know its capablities, pros, cons, and limits in as much and as varying tasks as possible.

/ That said, there are also a practical side to food prep of folders:
- If one is a lot on the road like me (bike, car, on foot) when working or in the outdoors when not, the folder in the pocket actually often IS the best tool available for food prep (and knives like the Endura do an amazing job then)
- Sometimes I am in the kitchens of friends, and my folder definitely is the sharpest and best for food prep knife there...
- Cutting food with various folders is a really good way to compare theit blades, grinds and so on...

/ Last thing: I think THIS forum is not at all about always looking for the "cheapest and most simple" solution anyway... :winking-tongue

If we use your logic and arguments, that only confirms that there is no need for a 4 inch SpydieCHEF because any 4 inch EDC knife is sufficient for the task. Not to mention, but I am anyway, that most other EDC knives are far better suited to other EDC tasks over any version of the Spydiechef. But if people want a $300+ food oriented folder, who am I to stand in their way?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:13 am
kobold wrote:

Mr Marcin Slysz, the designer.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:16 am
Wartstein wrote:
kobold wrote:

Mr Marcin Slysz, the designer.
Thanks!
I (wrongly) thought his name was MarTin..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:02 am
Make a sheath and you can carry a Z Cut in your pocket...

This just proves my point. We can think our way around using pocket knives if we want to, most of the world already does. Why are we here? Why do some people care if I cut some veggies with a folder? I swear food prep is the latest triggered version of batoning.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:34 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

If we use your logic and arguments, that only confirms that there is no need for a 4 inch SpydieCHEF because any 4 inch EDC knife is sufficient for the task. Not to mention, but I am anyway, that most other EDC knives are far better suited to other EDC tasks over any version of the Spydiechef. But if people want a $300+ food oriented folder, who am I to stand in their way?

That´s true, though I would not literally say "NO need" (for a 4 inch SpydieChef)

But my post was about that I personally generally don´t see why food prep should be (for me arbitrary) excluded from possible EDC folder tasks. I mean, for many people tasks like cutting of a thread, opening a package, whittling a stick or whatever occur just once a month or so, as might be cutting an apple or sandwich (food prep!). But IF we start out by saying we carry a or even the most perfect EDC folder for any task that might occur (perhaps when no other cutting tool is at hand) food prep is as good as others.

And about "we (absolutely) don´t NEED a 4 inch Spydiechef: Well, I think INSIDE the "Jack of all trades" folder thing people still lay their focuses on different things. If one knows in their day to day life mostly appear "cutting of a thread" tasks, they will go for a shorter folder for example. If one knows they might do quite some food prep they might grab a Spydiechef. I personally tend to see long bladed, light ffg folders as the for me (!) best suited EDC knives, cause I feel such folders are the most versatile, and I happen to do a lot of tasks with my knives.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i could get by with my hawkbill ladybug for almost everything i need to cut day to day. i carry other knives because i enjoy them. need doesn't seem to belong in a discussion on this forum.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:31 am
i could get by with my hawkbill ladybug for almost everything i need to cut day to day. i carry other knives because i enjoy them. need doesn't seem to belong in a discussion on this forum.
Well, yeah. Once I bought more than the one I needed I realized I had a problem. :shush
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:21 am
I swear food prep is the latest triggered version of batoning.
Don't forget prying.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Marcin had a larger SpydieChef 2 prototype quite a while ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfGw29Lh-s_/

Don't think Spyderco would make it,,,

Larger would appeal to fewer people, although Spyderco advertises them for kitchen for rock jumping etc they are made to appeal to general EDC category to sell more of them,

And bigger would probably be more expensive, is this the new price after 15% ?

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-spydiechef
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Folding pocket knives are multitools that are used for whatever a person wants to use their knife for. There is almost always a better tool than your pocket knife but you always have your pocket knife with you.

I don’t have any issues with folks who want to do food prep with a folder. I sometimes do if I need to cut something for my son. I have also cut up a lot of limes with my folder. I like cocktails. To each their own.

I use a box cutter to cut up cardboard but I don’t get on here and complain about people using their pocket knives to do it when there is a tool designed for it. People can use their knives however they want, it’s their knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Dang. Now I am an "anti". Who knew?

I think I'll punch out of this thread.

M.N.O.S.D. 0001
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

My Spydiechef is a regular in the rotation (and made food prep life easier when we visited my parents on New Years -note to self:bring sharpmaker to parents' house next time!).

I'd happily buy one with a longer blade if made.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i want a spydiechefchete. 🤔
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:07 pm
i want a spydiechefchete. 🤔
Hahaha, yours...for the low price of $800!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:40 am
Dang. Now I am an "anti". Who knew?

I think I'll punch out of this thread.

Same here bud, I'll go enjoy my food with my Z cut that is sanitarily waiting for me in my kitchen drawer instead of the knife in my pocket that's got lint, tape gunk, rubber, rope and plastic residue on/in it :cheap-sunglasses
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick