The Endela is fantastic.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: The Endela is fantastic.

Post by Bill1170 »

The Endela has the benefits of the Mantra blade size and the Delica features.
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Menipo wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:33 pm
Mine arrived yesterday. PE. Simply perfect fit and finish from any angle.

I had a secret hope that out of the box it would be very sharp but not razor sharp (to have an excuse to offer it a KME session and put a polished edge on it). But sacrebleu! I can shave with it. Now I will have to find thirty square feet of cardboard to finish off the factory edge and have no option but to sharpen it ...

If I had to put a but, I would say that it is a little "paunchy". Being used to much slimmer blades (like those of the Endura or the Police), I find the Endela blade a little bit chubby for my taste. Apart from that, it is a gem.
HA! That's the reason I went for the Endela over the Endura. A little more blade height overall, including at the pivot. We're so fortunate to have such choices :) Like yours, my Endela was incredibly sharp also.

And I'd like to clarify from my previous post. I 'blamed' our dog for finances and therefore choosing VG-10 over K390. It sounded like a compromise which wasn't my intention. I happen to like VG-10 very much. Come to think of it, I like FRN quite a lot too.

Cheers,
Kendal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
If I had to put a but, I would say that it is a little "paunchy". Being used to much slimmer blades (like those of the Endura or the Police), ....
Zive wrote: .... Excited to try out the slightly taller blade. Should arrive this weekend.

I don´t know why you think the Endela has a "taller blade" and the Endura or Police a "much slimmer" ?!? :confused:

Actually the Endela-blade is of the exact same width as the Endura blade at thw widest point ("hump") and then starts to get narrower than the Endura, since the drop of the spine to the tip is naturally more pronounced (cause the Endela blade is shorter than the Endura blade).
Perhaps it looks wider, since in relation to the length it actually is, but not absolutely seen?

[Sidenote: My Endela in the pic does not have the original tip anymore, but a less acute one, since I snapped the very tip and had to modify it a bit]

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Hi Wartstein,

I actually thought it [Endela] was a little wider too, so I appreciate the clarification. My eyesight isn't aging gracefully. At all.

Nice work reprofiling the tip, too. Looks great.

Cheers,
Kendal.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 am
Menipo wrote:
If I had to put a but, I would say that it is a little "paunchy". Being used to much slimmer blades (like those of the Endura or the Police), ....
Zive wrote: .... Excited to try out the slightly taller blade. Should arrive this weekend.

I don´t know why you think the Endela has a "taller blade" and the Endura or Police a "much slimmer" ?!? :confused:

Actually the Endela-blade is of the exact same width as the Endura blade at thw widest point ("hump") and then starts to get narrower than the Endura, since the drop of the spine to the tip is naturally more pronounced (cause the Endela blade is shorter than the Endura blade).
Perhaps it looks wider, since in relation to the length it actually is, but not absolutely seen?

[Sidenote: My Endela in the pic does not have the original tip anymore, but a less acute one, since I snapped the very tip and had to modify it a bit]

I'm not sure that at the widest part of the blade both knives measure the same. I do not have a tape measure at hand to check it but my perception looking at them (and more looking at the photo below) is that no.

But even if it were, I used the terms "paunchy" and "chubby". If two guys wear size 45 shoes, the overall perception of proporcionality varies greatly if one is 190 cm tall and the other 140 cm.

Don't you agree?

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 am
Menipo wrote:
Zive wrote:

I'm not sure that at the widest part of the blade both knives measure the same. I do not have a tape measure at hand to check it but my perception looking at them (and more looking at the photo below) is that no.

But even if it were, I used the terms "paunchy" and "chubby". If two guys wear size 45 shoes, the overall perception of proporcionality varies greatly if one is 190 cm tall and the other 140 cm.

Don't you agree?

The widest parts of the blades (Endela vs Endura) do measure the same indeed (just measured that myself)!
I also think that my pic (once more shown below) is perhaps a better representation (no offense meant) than yours concerning the widths, cause in your pic one blade seems to be tilted a bit (?) - in mine both blade are absolutely plain and I think one can see that they are of the same width at the opening hole - ?

/ Agreed on "paunchy and chubby"!! Did not fully get their meaning at first, due to my limited Englich vocabulary.
It is actually what I meant by saying the the Endela perhaps LOOKS wider, cause it IS relatively to its shorter length (but not absolutely seen)

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zive

Post by Zive »

I stand corrected. That’s a dimension not usually listed in tech specs so I was going off of appearance (slightly deceptive because the height:length ratio is greater for Endela) and the comments I’ve read about having more belly than Delica/Endura. Still excited to get it in hand regardless.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zive wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:52 am
I stand corrected. That’s a dimension not usually listed in tech specs so I was going off of appearance (slightly deceptive because the height:length ratio is greater for Endela) and the comments I’ve read about having more belly than Delica/Endura. Still excited to get it in hand regardless.

I think it could have more belly... will have to check!
R100

Post by R100 »

I bought an Endela to give to my nephew who is an outdoor enthusiast and someone I hope to lure into Spyder addiction. Unfortunately the vertical lock rock was the worst of the many Seki lockbacks I have tried and it just feels wrong in use. I thought this would give my nephew a poor impression of Spyderco so I ended up giving him a Delica instead.

I was probably just unlucky because my K390 Endura purchased soon after is relatively solid. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with an Endela?

Dan
BSharp

Post by BSharp »

Decided a while back, that I too wanted an Endela for in-betweenie size. Trying to decide between the VG-10 or K390 blades.
Roughly 35% difference in price. Have not yet owned a K390 alloy. Any words of wisdom from steelheads would be welcome.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:39 pm
I bought an Endela to give to my nephew who is an outdoor enthusiast and someone I hope to lure into Spyder addiction. Unfortunately the vertical lock rock was the worst of the many Seki lockbacks I have tried and it just feels wrong in use. I thought this would give my nephew a poor impression of Spyderco so I ended up giving him a Delica instead.

I was probably just unlucky because my K390 Endura purchased soon after is relatively solid. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with an Endela?

I think you were just unlucky indeed - just checked my Endela, I had to push it really hard against a surface to perceive just a bit of lock rock,,,

The Endela would have been certainly the more versatile and better suited for the ourdoors - knife for your nephew, but should you succeed in "luring him into Spyderco addiction" ;) (and so he´ll end up with more than one Spydie anyway):
The Delica is a great knife for what it is and for me still blows almost all of the similar sized other Spydies out of the water, especially performancewise (sturdy construction with liners, but still ad tad lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW; reasonably thin bladestock,, slicier than all the thicker small Spydies and still strong enough, very generous handle space for the size; slim carry....)

So: It absolutely can´t hurt to own a Delica to fill the "small folder niche"! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bsharp,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BSharp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:26 pm
Decided a while back, that I too wanted an Endela for in-betweenie size. Trying to decide between the VG-10 or K390 blades.
Roughly 35% difference in price. Have not yet owned a K390 alloy. Any words of wisdom from steelheads would be welcome.

Not a steelhead, but for your first Endela: VG10 and SE.. I guarantee you'd love its cutting performance....
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

R100 wrote:

Dan

I checked mine and ... no. No vertical lock rock at all.

You should return that knife and get one which works as it should.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
R100

Post by R100 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 am
R100 wrote:

You are right about the Endela being a better outdoors knife. I was initially going to give him a Manix 2 LW which is my favourite in that size range but I was worried about the techno-shock of that much plastic. My nephew has just left the family farm for educationgrew up on a farm where they

I think you were just unlucky indeed - just checked my Endela, I had to push it really hard against a surface to perceive just a bit of lock rock,,,

The Endela would have been certainly the more versatile and better suited for the ourdoors - knife for your nephew, but should you succeed in "luring him into Spyderco addiction" ;) (and so he´ll end up with more than one Spydie anyway):
The Delica is a great knife for what it is and for me still blows almost all of the similar sized other Spydies out of the water, especially performancewise (sturdy construction with liners, but still ad tad lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW; reasonably thin bladestock,, slicier than all the thicker small Spydies and still strong enough, very generous handle space for the size; slim carry....)

So: It absolutely can´t hurt to own a Delica to fill the "small folder niche"! :)
You are right about the Endela being a better outdoors knife Wartstein. I was initially going to give him a Manix 2 LW which is my favourite in that size range but I was worried about the techno-shock of that much plastic. My nephew has just left the family farm for education in another state and his family are very traditional in their methods and despise plastic. He is 16 and can break a horse, make a whip and bridle from greenhide and is a competent blacksmith but has never owned a mobile phone or watched television. It is a bit of a journey to the 21st century and I thought a linered lockback with frn was a first step! The Delica will be a discreet edc which is still very capable and may lead to a Pac Salt which is to me the ultimate lightweight outdoors folder.

Dan
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Hi R100,

My Endela, much like my Dragonfly, has a wee bit of vertical movement. Only a couple of tenths of a millimetre. As to a dislike of plastic...

When I read of folks who dislike FRN/GRN, I certainly get it. However, try explaining to your nephew the benefits:

FRN is light, flexible, strong, wear/impact/water & oil resistant, non-conductive, maintenance-free, easily cleaned, easily replaced, cheap to manufacture and a bunch of things not listed due to a fading memory. It's also used in nearly any high-tech industry imaginable, such as aerospace. Yeah it's cheap (comparatively) and "feels like plastic" (it is!), but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks, one of which is a perception only.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
Kendal.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 am
R100 wrote:
You are right about the Endela being a better outdoors knife Wartstein. I was initially going to give him a Manix 2 LW which is my favourite in that size range but I was worried about the techno-shock of that much plastic. My nephew has just left the family farm for education in another state and his family are very traditional in their methods and despise plastic. He is 16 and can break a horse, make a whip and bridle from greenhide and is a competent blacksmith but has never owned a mobile phone or watched television. It is a bit of a journey to the 21st century and I thought a linered lockback with frn was a first step! The Delica will be a discreet edc which is still very capable and may lead to a Pac Salt which is to me the ultimate lightweight outdoors folder.

Dan

Sounds like your nephew is a great guy! :)
Never actually watched television is almost unbelievable, given the common cliche Europeans have about Americans... ;)
But in a way he is a lot like me (I am A LOT older though): I at least never owned a TV set, and internet at home for just about 6 years now. I was one of the last people here to have a mobile phone, and then one of the last to have a smart phone (but as long as possible an old pushbutton mobile)

Anyway, I think the combo Delica and Pac Salt will be perfect for your nephew! Both one of the top knives in their size category imho!!! :)
R100

Post by R100 »

Hey Wartstein, we are in Australia not the US. The culture is somewhere in between the US and Europe.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I hope the Endela is the first Seki model to receive the Cru-carta treatment! And soon! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I grabbed my first Endela (K390) from G&R on their 20% off sale. I was going to wait for the SE K390 version, but the good deal from G&R was enough to push me over.

Really looking forward to this model. A bigger version of my beloved Delica? Yes please! (Endura is just not my favorite)