My ideal Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: My ideal Spyderco

Post by Menipo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm
That sounds like a Kapara 20cv exclusive.. i would think it's bound to happen eventually.
does sound pretty close, doesn't it?
Yes, but there are some differences which keep me dreaming of the ideal Spyderco that I described in the first post (though I think that the Kapara is one of the best additions to the Spyderco catalogue - I have one):

1) Blade: I love the texturing above the hole of the Endura because it adds control over the blade's spine. The Kapara does not have it. In addition, the Endura's blade is a little bit bigger (longer) and I like those extra milimeters.

2) Handle: It is true that the Kapara has a CF handle but the lack of texturing makes it a little bit sleepery, IMO. When I "ordered" a CF handle for my "ideal Spyderco" I was thinking more of that of the Ikuchi (CF/G10 laminate).

3) Clip: It is true that the Kapara has a deep carry clip. But it is not "as deep" as that of the UK Penknife, for instance. My point is that if a deep carry clip is meant to guarantee a carry so discrete that no one should notice that you carry a knife, that purpose is not achieved if a part (even if it is small) of the knife remains exposed. Thus, in my "ideal Spyderco" I was dreaming of a "true" deep carry clip which makes the knife invisible.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:17 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 am
Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm
That sounds like a Kapara 20cv exclusive.. i would think it's bound to happen eventually.
does sound pretty close, doesn't it?
Yes, but there are some differences which keep me dreaming of the ideal Spyderco that I described in the first post (though I think that the Kapara is one of the best additions to the Spyderco catalogue - I have one):

1) Blade: I love the texturing above the hole of the Endura because it adds control over the blade's spine. The Kapara does not have it. In addition, the Endura's blade is a little bit bigger (longer) and I like those extra milimeters.

2) Handle: It is true that the Kapara has a CF handle but the lack of texturing makes it a little bit sleepery, IMO. When I "ordered" a CF handle for my "ideal Spyderco" I was thinking more of that of the Ikuchi (CF/G10 laminate).

3) Clip: It is true that the Kapara has a deep carry clip. But it is not "as deep" as that of the UK Penknife, for instance. My point is that if a deep carry clip is meant to guarantee a carry so discrete that no one should notice that you carry a knife, that purpose is not achieved if a part (even if it is small) of the knife remains exposed. Thus, in my "ideal Spyderco" I was dreaming of a "true" deep carry clip which makes the knife invisible.
Ok, I got you. I think the kind of texturing you're referring to is called "peel-ply" (it's the same as the standard G-10 texture). I suppose it's possible that Seki could put out a Endura like that as an exclusive, but to my knowledge, that manufactory has not used peel-ply carbon fiber, although if I am wrong, I'll stand corrected.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Signalman1

Post by Signalman1 »

I would modify only two of them one would be a Little Kapara or a extra large Mantra 2 both those knives are great just the way they are design wise...20CV on the Kapara would be a nice bonus...the Mantra2 just needs to be a hair bigger. :D

Signalman :mad: :) :D
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The Mantra 2 is deceptively compact which is why it is my most carried EDC. It really does have 3.2" of cutting edge. If you're looking for something a little longer with a blade design not too far removed from the Mantra 2, you may wish to consider the Siren. Whenever I'm in the great outdoors, the Mantra 2 gets swapped out for my Siren.It's a back lock with a Golden, Co. Cadillac build. Smoooooth & tight.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:40 am
Endura 4 with linerless OD green G10 scales, Cru-wear steel, and a deep-carry pocket clip would be my ideal Spydie..
Our dream Spydercos are quite similar. You don't mention any change on the lock system so I understand that you are OK with the lock back of the Endura. I would prefer a compression because I sharpen my knives to a mirror polish point. With such a cutting power, putting the fingers in the path of the blade when closing the Endura with one hand makes me sometimes a little bit nervous ... :o
With the Endura there is no need to have your fingers in the path of the blade when closing. All you need do is put your pointer finger in the hole while depressing the lock. Rotate the blade towards close. Then, either use your finger on the spine to snap it closed, or put your thumb in the hole and guide it closed.

There is a video by Vivi showing something like this. This is the safest lock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Ok, I got you. I think the kind of texturing you're referring to is called "peel-ply" (it's the same as the standard G-10 texture). I suppose it's possible that Seki could put out a Endura like that as an exclusive, but to my knowledge, that manufactory has not used peel-ply carbon fiber, although if I am wrong, I'll stand corrected.
Thanks for the info!

I wish Seki could put out a Endura entirely like the one I described in my first post. Modifying the blade and handle materials, and even putting a deep carry instead of the regular clip would not be particularly difficult, I tend to believe. But redesigning the locking mechanism to turn a backlock into a compression is another story, I am afraid :(

But I keep dreaming .... :)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:24 pm

With the Endura there is no need to have your fingers in the path of the blade when closing. All you need do is put your pointer finger in the hole while depressing the lock. Rotate the blade towards close. Then, either use your finger on the spine to snap it closed, or put your thumb in the hole and guide it closed.

I haven't found that video by Vivi but I think that I see what you mean. I use a variant of that method (there is a video by Nick Shabazz showing it): I put the thumb on the lock and firmly grab the handle with the other 4 fingers (putting the pointer finger at the very end of the handle); then I depress the lock and start the closing action by gravity. When the blade starts to rotate towards close and its non sharpened part (the choil) hits my pointer finger, I move it on the spine, remove the other from the path of the blade and snap it closed.

However, in both cases, when the blade gets disengaged and starts to rotate toward close you have 3 (using "Vivi's method") or 4 (using "Nick's method") fingers in the path of the blade. If something goes wrong (for instance if you put too much presure simultaneously on both the thumb to disengage and the pointer finger to start the rotation, and the blade completes the rotation toward close before you remove the other three fingers from the path of the blade ... I do not even want to imagine the result ... :(

I've got some bites when closing backlocks (using my method) because the size of the non sharpened choil is different in each model and is difficult to develop muscle memory (so sometimes I put the pointer finger in the wrong place). But I never got one when closing any of the three compression locks that I have (Para 2, Kapara and Ikuchi). So either the compression lock is safer ... or it is just a matter of (my) clumsyness :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I haven't found that video by Vivi but I think that I see what you mean. I use a variant of that method (there is a video by Nick Shabazz showing it): I put the thumb on the lock and firmly grab the handle with the other 4 fingers (putting the pointer finger at the very end of the handle); then I depress the lock and start the closing action by gravity. When the blade starts to rotate towards close and its non sharpened part (the choil) hits my pointer finger, I move it on the spine, remove the other from the path of the blade and snap it closed.

However, in both cases, when the blade gets disengaged and starts to rotate toward close you have 3 (using "Vivi's method") or 4 (using "Nick's method") fingers in the path of the blade. If something goes wrong (for instance if you put too much presure simultaneously on both the thumb to disengage and the pointer finger to start the rotation, and the blade completes the rotation toward close before you remove the other three fingers from the path of the blade ... I do not even want to imagine the result ... :(

I've got some bites when closing backlocks (using my method) because the size of the non sharpened choil is different in each model and is difficult to develop muscle memory (so sometimes I put the pointer finger in the wrong place). But I never got one when closing any of the three compression locks that I have (Para 2, Kapara and Ikuchi). So either the compression lock is safer ... or it is just a matter of (my) clumsyness :)
Hi Menipo,

Not Vivis vid (would be better...) but mine, still it shows the method Doc mentioned: Very convinient, and you don´t have to drop the "blade" onto your forefinger (method shown one time slow, two times regular speed):

https://streamable.com/myzlt

And if you don´t want to have your fingers in the blade path ever and and at all: Easy to do, see here

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

A third very convinient and quick method:

https://streamable.com/bhhzs
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo, the following is meant NOT as an offense towards you by any means (!!!),

but for me it is just interesting, that you as a new member here in your first post actually bring up the in my personal opinion biggest still existing "knife myths":

- Serrations don´t cut well and are only good for very specific tasks (the second part of the myth would be: Serrations are hard to sharpen) - not true at all in my experience
- Backlocks are unsafe for the fingers when closing (the second part of that myth would be: And backlocks are generally awkward to close one handed) - also not true in my experience

Of course these are only my opinions (though shared by many here, especially when it comes to serrations), but I think you might be surprised if you gave a "modern", non aggressive spyderedge in ffg and the Spyderco backlock generally a "second chance" ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brj

Post by brj »

My ideal Spyderco already exists, it's called Military ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:

The method I use never allows the tang or any part of the blade to contact fingers.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 am

Hi Menipo,

Not Vivis vid (would be better...) but mine, still it shows the method Doc mentioned: Very convinient, and you don´t have to drop the "blade" onto your forefinger (method shown one time slow, two times regular speed):

And if you don´t want to have your fingers in the blade path ever and and at all: Easy to do, see here

Grüß Gott, Wartstein,

MANY thanks for your three videos.

As to the ways of closing the knife shown in the first and third ones, I still consider them risky because three fingers have to be (or are) in the path of the blade till it reaches a 90º angle when rotating towards close.

I like very much the way shown in the second video. I have tried it a couple of times with my Endura but, for the time being, it does not work because I can not disengage the lock with the pointer finger (the spring has too much tension). I am sure that when the spring tension looses over time (with the use) I will be able to safely close the Endura with one hand that way.

Many thanks again.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:27 am
Menipo, the following is meant NOT as an offense towards you by any means (!!!),

but for me it is just interesting, that you as a new member here in your first post actually bring up the in my personal opinion biggest still existing "knife myths":

- Serrations don´t cut well and are only good for very specific tasks (the second part of the myth would be: Serrations are hard to sharpen) - not true at all in my experience
- Backlocks are unsafe for the fingers when closing (the second part of that myth would be: And backlocks are generally awkward to close one handed) - also not true in my experience

Of course these are only my opinions (though shared by many here, especially when it comes to serrations), but I think you might be surprised if you gave a "modern", non aggressive spyderedge in ffg and the Spyderco backlock generally a "second chance" ;)
Wartstein,

Do not worry. Be assured that I do not take your words as an offense. I fully understand what you want to say.

I am a new member here but have been collecting knives for more than 20 years (and using them since I have use of reason). In both cases (serrations and closing of lockbacks) I talk from my own experience.

Having said that, as regards serrations, I am ready to give another chance to modern patterns. As I explained in previous posts, all my Spydercos partially or totally serrated were manufactured decades ago. I am always open to reconsider my views.

As to the closing of lockbacks I have addressed that point in my previous response.

Thanks again, pal!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

brj wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:19 am
My ideal Spyderco already exists, it's called Military ;)
I have said in a previous post that if I had to take with me just one of the knives of my collection, it would probably be my Military.

However, I used the Endura as the platform to design my ideal knife because my preferred lock system is the compression lock and putting a compression lock to a Military would make its closing with gloves really difficult. And the Military was precisely designed in terms of size of the handle and closing method, if I am correct, for easy use with or without gloves.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:35 am

The method I use never allows the tang or any part of the blade to contact fingers.
I know, Doc. Putting the finger at the end of the handle to stop the motion of the blade when it starts its rotation towards close by gravity (making the contact with the choil or the non sharpened portion of the blade) is a variation of the method that you use.

My point is that when you disengage the lock with the thumb and guide the blade towards close with your pointer finger (in the hole) there are three fingers in the path of the blade. And that makes me a little bit nervous ..... :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't found my ideal knife yet, though I have a couple that are pretty close even those would need some tweaking to be perfect.

Caribbean - tweak the blade a bit so there's no thumb ramp at all, more like a Shaman.

Shaman - bring that first point on the handle at the rear of the finger choil all the way out to the end of the handle, then bring the edge all the way back to the handle and do away with the choil.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 FRN LW with a deep carry wire clip :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Hi David---

Aside from the different lock, it sounds almost like a serrated Siren. <g>
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly... After all is said and done, my ideal Spyderco is the Micro Dyad.

All of my other knives are secondary carry, these days. The Micro Dyad is ALWAYS at the bottom of my pocket, regardless of whatever else I'm carrying and I reach for it 99% of the time.

I like having a larger knife, just incase. But, the MD is the star of the show, these days.

Also, I don't do the same kind of work that I used to. So, that has influenced the change more than anything.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 am

Hi Menipo,

Grüß Gott, Wartstein,

MANY thanks for your three videos.

As to the ways of closing the knife shown in the first and third ones, I still consider them risky because three fingers have to be (or are) in the path of the blade till it reaches a 90º angle when rotating towards close.

I like very much the way shown in the second video. I have tried it a couple of times with my Endura but, for the time being, it does not work because I can not disengage the lock with the pointer finger (the spring has too much tension). I am sure that when the spring tension looses over time (with the use) I will be able to safely close the Endura with one hand that way.

Many thanks again.
Buenos dias, Menipo! (You actually know the salutation "Grüß Gott"? Have you been to Austria or Bavaria? "Grüß Gott" is a way of greeting almost exclusively used there, and not generally in the German language..)

Concerning the "fingers all the time out of the blade path method" with a backlock: https://streamable.com/j7fjd

I´ll admit that this certainly takes more finger strength, more dexterity and a bit more practice than the quite similar way of closing with comp lock (or CBBL)
I´ll also have to say that due to a lot of climbing, playing guitar, and so on I most likely just have to have more finger strength than the average person.

Still, I think most of it is just technique and a bit practice!
One advice: When closing a backlock by releasing the lockbar with the index finger:
Try NOT to move you whole hand / all fingers to the back of the handle, but mostly JUST the index finger (so it can activate the lockbar). Especially the thumb should remain at the front end of the handle (like to be seen in the clip) Might feel awkward at first, but pretty soon quite natural and imho requires less finger strength.

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87480 Vivi explains that this very method is his preferred one on the Siren (another backlock knife), he linked this vid https://streamable.com/qlzh73 there where you can see how he performs it