Forum search turned up nothing: How do you lubricate the washers on Manix 2 LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Forum search turned up nothing: How do you lubricate the washers on Manix 2 LW?

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:23 am
I am using Victorinox Multitool oil. Works perfectly well for me.
I use this too and agree that it is great 👍🏻
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Larry_Mott

Re: Forum search turned up nothing: How do you lubricate the washers on Manix 2 LW?

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:24 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:32 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm
The pivot is not pinned, so it would also be possible to take the blade out entirely. I have never done this though so I can't say how difficult it would be to reassemble.
With all due respect it makes as much sense taking the blade out of the frame as it does taking your motorcycle engine out of the frame for an oil change..
Yeah that's because the motorcycle is designed to be able to change the oil without taking the engine out. ;)
And oil will not get into the pivot unless you disassemble the knife...?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:20 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:24 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:32 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 pm
The pivot is not pinned, so it would also be possible to take the blade out entirely. I have never done this though so I can't say how difficult it would be to reassemble.
With all due respect it makes as much sense taking the blade out of the frame as it does taking your motorcycle engine out of the frame for an oil change..
Yeah that's because the motorcycle is designed to be able to change the oil without taking the engine out. ;)
And oil will not get into the pivot unless you disassemble the knife...?
Not as easily or effectively.

Hey I'm not big on dissembling knives myself: I think it's best to leave them as they came from the factory unless there's a real issue. I do think some people get carried away with dissembling knives, but having the option is always nice and I've been compelled more than once to take apart a knife to restore functionality.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So, sometimes I need to add a drop of oil but don’t feel like taking the whole knife apart to clean and lube. What I do is loosen the pivot, then with an appropriate sized torx, (because I use a multi bit folding set) I wedge it in sideways, between the scales to separate them slightly. Then a drop of oil on the side that happens to have the gap. Next wiggle the blade to the other side and another drop of oil. I pull out the torx, and carefully open and close the blade to spread the lube around. Tighten the pivot back down and good to go.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Ok, this will be my last post about this..
Last time i disassembled a Endura (for scale swap, not "maintenance") there was oil on the liners all the way back to the back spacer. Trust me (or don't) the capillary force work, and is strong! :)
The oil _will_ get in there without risking damage to the fine threaded screws and female threads in the liners with excessive disassembling.

Larry - over and out
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

Sent you an email on the razor. Thanx much. Don't know if you got it?

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 am
Ok, this will be my last post about this..
Last time i disassembled a Endura (for scale swap, not "maintenance") there was oil on the liners all the way back to the back spacer. Trust me (or don't) the capillary force work, and is strong! :)
The oil _will_ get in there without risking damage to the fine threaded screws and female threads in the liners with excessive disassembling.

Larry - over and out
Truth! This works and I long ago gave up worrying about any other method to lubricate pocket knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

On the Manix, if you do it just right you can oil the pivot in the cbbl opening, get it right next to the washer and on the ball itself, at least that's what I've always done

Edit: forgot to say that's after a good wash in hot soapy water
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut