Shot Show surprises

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Shot Show surprises

Post by zhyla »

The Smock is the only thing here that interests me. But I am skeptical it will feel good in hand.
The Brouwer looks like a very usable design, if a little boring.

Techno 2? Why? I'm not sold on the change in blade shape, and that seems to be the only meaningful difference.
Tdog wrote:Would love to see Spyderco's take on the Kwaiken. Surprised they haven't already added this very popular design.
I would love to see a Burnley collaboration too, or someone else's kwaiken take. I think it's a classic design at this point even though it's only a few years old.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea kind of a lack luster first volley from the mother ship this year, not a huge fan of the Techno so the 2 doesn't really move me either. So far only the Mantra looks interesting. Really wish they would have just done a plain edge on the original autonomy instead of shape change. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see a bunch of mid year drops that will wow.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. I figured the Amalgam would get a lot of love.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I guess I'm in the minority...I was overwhelmed with lust. I'm in tune with the current designers, I guess. The Smock especially interests me. I have never had issues with a choil getting caught on anything, myself. I think all of these new announcements are very slick...I'm really surprised that they have not received a better welcome.

Good job to the crew, everything looks great to me!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Compression lock flippers? Sign me up! Like all of them, but funds will make me choose.

I think the original Autonomy suits me better.

I really like the changes to the techno. Prefer the blade shape on the 2 and the removal of the back spacer.

I think the Spyderco releases were strong, especially when compared to Benchmade and ZT. Great job!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

FullCircleHook wrote:Compression lock flippers? Sign me up! Like all of them, but funds will make me choose.

I think the original Autonomy suits me better.

I really like the changes to the techno. Prefer the blade shape on the 2 and the removal of the back spacer.

I think the Spyderco releases were strong, especially when compared to Benchmade and ZT. Great job!
Couldn't agree more!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Surfingringo wrote:Love the Smock but that bizarre choil is a non starter for me.
Same. Would like to see it with either a functional 50/50 choil or no choil.
Mantra 3 looks nice. Good Sprint potential there. Hoping for a Mantra 4 as well, love the slim footprint of the M2.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Well, at least I won’t be getting a divorce this year, I don’t see anything that I “must have”. Maybe we’ll get some more(better) surprises mid year.
Josh
anycal

Post by anycal »

I'm in the same boat ^^.

I will probably pick up the new Mantra, price pending. Hoping for a new Military sprint, and waiting on the DLC M4 Manix 2.
Peter
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I do like the change of the blade shape on the techno 2, but I don't like that they slimmed the blade down. That was one of the cool things I liked about that little knife. I'm going to have to see about that one...I'll wait until I can get my hands on one hopefully at the IWA Outdoor Classics show.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I'm really digging the idea of that Mantra 3. I love my Mantra 1 and the Sage 5 is great, this is like a combo in a great EDC size. Would have like to see XHP or some other stainless.

The Smock is the other one that has me interested, I will probably need one of these. I do agree that the choil seems like a bit of a waste of what could be otherwise usable edge.

Really love the design of that Techno 2, but if it's as beefy with as thick of a blade as the Techno I won't be purchasing it.
Edit - Just saw that this will be thinner, which definitely makes it more attractive
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Amalgam's got my interest. Looks like a great sandwich knife.

Smock also got my attention but I prefer between 3.5"-4.0" blade for that style. Agree with others about the large choil.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

FullCircleHook wrote:I think the Spyderco releases were strong, especially when compared to Benchmade and ZT. Great job!
I actually thought the thing that grabbed me the most was the Benchmade altitude, which surprised me.

I like the changes to the Techno. Such a small blade being so wide seemed counter intuitive to me.

And the new Autonomy is a definite must have for me.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nice to see the finger grooves removed from the autonomy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Love the Smock but that bizarre choil is a non starter for me.
Same. Would like to see it with either a functional 50/50 choil or no choil.
Even if they edge came all the way back to the handle, I don't get the round bulb shaped handle at the pivot. Why not design the grip so your finger is closer to the blade?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Nice to see the finger grooves removed from the autonomy.
99.99999999999% of the time I'd agree, but (surprisingly) the Autonomy fits me very well. Can't go wrong with the new shape either though. Hopefully they offer it with a rescue shaped blade at least similar to the original.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sorry to say nothing stands out for me. I guess the knife market has moved in a different direction then I wished. I also think many of these will drop with MAP prices within spitting distance of $300.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mako109 wrote:Amalgam's got my interest. Looks like a great sandwich knife.
Yes, looks like a good $200 sandwich knife. :confused:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Mantra raised my interest, along with the Autonomy. Will LC be used in the Autonomy? Would it be presumptuous to assume the Autonomy will be a saltwater use knife? If salt safe I'll probably be in for one of these.