Getting more out of the Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Getting more out of the Dragonfly

Post by Surfingringo »

jdw wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I carry both a PE Cricket and a PE Lil' Matriarch.

As long it is PE and not H1 I would be interested in a Reverse S Dragonfly.
+1 in this. PE Reverse S blades are awesome and I think the Dragonfly would make a perfect platform. Please no H1 though. It is extremely popular for good reason but think about us folks where it's arid 90% of the year. It's even arid the primary places that I hike.
Hey jdw, my primary thought was that this would make a great edc blade. To that end I would love to see this blade in a regular frn dragonfly with pe vg10. At least as a start. (I would also love to have a serrated frn version too though.) ;)
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

I like the ergonomics of the current dragonfly, blade included. I would love to see a salt version with an lc200n blade it would be the ultimate small EDC for me. I am yet to find a knife with better ergonomics for a small knife but for those who live in a saltwater environment a dragonfly salt with an lc200n blade for better edge retention would be fantastic. The dragonfly is a knife that you have to check if you have in your pocket as it is so light and to carry it all the time is a joy. Smaller and i struggle with the size of the blade, bigger and its too heavy and obtrusive when you are racing around a boat or climbing a mast. For me the dragonfly is the best all round compromise and the only way to improve it for me is lc200n. I could go with a h1 spyderedge hawkbill as my second choice and third would be s110v plain edge blade and all with the lightweight frn handles to keep the knife that lovely lightweight powerhouse package that we all know and love .
elena86

Post by elena86 »

As I mentioned in a previous thread my ultimate edc spydie would be a 2.6-2.75 inch blade lenght Dfly2.I am not entirely convinced that it would benefit from a reverse blade shape.But...why not :confused:

Marius
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not be a fan of the reverse 'S', but a wharncliffe might get my attention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What makes the Dragonfly a Dragonfly? The handle? The blade shape? What changes would render the Dragonfly not a Dragonfly?

Should we expect every Spyderco model to be offered with every blade shape in every steel with every edge enclosed by every scale material with both a Spydiehole AND a flipper such that their only distinction is size?

Just playfully curious.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

wrdwrght wrote:What makes the Dragonfly a Dragonfly? The handle? The blade shape? What changes would render the Dragonfly not a Dragonfly?

Should we expect every Spyderco model to be offered with every blade shape in every steel with every edge enclosed by every scale material with both a Spydiehole AND a flipper such that their only distinction is size?

Just playfully curious.
No we shouldn't expect that but there's no reason that such a great handle design can't accommodate more blade shapes. Sort of like how the Delica handle has been offered with both a wharncliffe, hawksbill and reverse "s". One of those is called a delica and the others were given a new name. The name is largely irrelevant imo.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I agree, it doesn't necessarily have to be outright superior, it would just be a fun option. I doubt I would choose an S blade over the standard blade if I could only have one but I would love to see another blade option whether it's a reverse S or hawkbill.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

wrdwrght wrote:What makes the Dragonfly a Dragonfly? The handle? The blade shape? What changes would render the Dragonfly not a Dragonfly?

Just playfully curious.
That's complicated, and I think there is more than one correct answer.
On the basic level there are 5 or so main characteristics of any particular knife.
Blade Shape, Handle Shape, Ergo's, Over All Size, Lock Type, materials, steel, aesthetics, ect.
I think if you only change 1 or 2 of these charachteristics but leave the others the same, you can still call it a "dragonfly" so to speak.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal