Caly Hap40 Sprint in Forest Green

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Re: Caly Hap40 Sprint in Forest Green

Post by murphjd25 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:Top of my list for 2017. Hope I'm fortunate enough to be able to grab one!
I've been wanting a Caly 3 for a while now so it's on top of my list for this year too. Unfortunately, I'm sure it's at the top of the list for a lot of people. So it's gonna be a mad dash for these. I think I got on KC's pre-order list fairly early but I'm not sure it was early enough.
I'm gonna throw a dash of salt over my shoulder and say a prayer and hope I get one as soon as they come out. I was going to pre-order one but I'm probably way to late and I haven't heard good things about pre ordering anyways, unless your early enough. I'm pretty good at checking sites daily now a days lol
Knock on wood...I've had good luck with pre-ordering from a few different sites but I've always managed to get in fairly early. If it's too late for a high-demand item I wouldn't bother. Even with the pre-order you can bet I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for this one.
So your saying there's a chance? I might just put in a pre order then..
No, I'm saying that for an high-demand sprint like this I wouldn't bother with the pre-order at this point. I think KC's the only one doing a pre-order and it started a long time ago. I don't think they'll get enough knives to cover their list. Now if another dealer opens up a pre-order and you can get in early then you stand a chance. Still I think you might be better off just waiting for them to start dropping at the dealers and be quick with the CC when you find one in stock.
I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'll stick with my original plan then. Man I really want one of these!!
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like sharp guy, I got a pre-order in early at KC, I've gotten lucky on the last couple pre-orders from them and made the first batch. I'm not counting on it on this one though and plan on grabbing one from other dealers as they pop up. If KC comes through, great, if not I will catch one somewhere else. I want at least two, a user and a back up.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Vivi wrote:I have ZDP but haven't carried it in a while. I've rusted VG10, S30V, 8Cr13MoV etc. I typically EDC H1 or DLC blades. Uncoated stainless is something I'm already a little hesitant to purchase, much less non-stainless.
Huh. Wow... VG10 and S30V? Do you live, like, on a boat? :p
The reason I asked about ZDP is because it's technically not stainless either. I think it's more stainless than HAP40, but not by much. Maybe grab a Ladybug or Manbug sprint and see how it does? :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Per Sal on BF....

"We are beginning to receive them, but we have to have a minimum number in house and through QC before we can begin shipping.

sal"

It's about to get interesting in the next couple of weeks! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Woohoo!!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to wonder how many pieces will be made for this sprint run? From what I've been seeing it's obviously going to be a high demand item.

I've been a little concerned about getting one of these. So last week I called KC to see if they could give me a better idea of where my pre-order is in their list. The CS person I spoke to told me she couldn't see what number I am in line but said since I pre-ordered on the first day I shouldn't worry. I explained that I've heard stories of people having pre-orders that are never filled and thus my concern. She said that they only take enough pre-orders to fill the amount of product they're expecting from the manufacturer. Once they reach that number they stop taking pre-orders. She also said the only time some pre-orders may not get filled is when the max number of orders is reached on a weekend when nobody is there to monitor the situation but that's extremely rare.

Since KC is the only dealer taking pre-orders for these (that I know of) and they're still accepting them today, based on the number of people I've seen say that they have one of these on pre-order, KC's list has to be pretty big by now. So I'm guessing that this run has to a fairly big one? Am I thinking correctly here?
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
attila

Post by attila »

That's interesting, because I also called knife center with this same question.

The lady said that on Jan 20th, they had already received 136 preorders and were going to close preorders once filled.

I take that with a grain of salt, because if the sprint run is only 1200 pieces, I don't see a single company getting over 10% of the available product. Take that how you will, but I just hope they aren't taking more preorders than they have been allotted of all these limited Caly3s.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Danke

Post by Danke »

For those worried about corrosion don't forget this is a laminate blade with SUS410 stainless steel. That will protect the pivot area.
swigert

Post by swigert »

I've never missed any knife I wanted. Sprint or not. This is a must buy. Let's see if my theory holds true. Also never pre ordered. One of these days I'll miss one I'd guess. Also helps I have a job I can order whenever.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I've never had a Caly, but I' decided that I need one, and the Hap40 sprint seems like a perfect option. But now I'm a bit worried about missing it, seems like it will be popular. Any updates on when we might see them drop?
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

According to Bento Box, these are expected "June/July"... I sure hope they are wrong, March/April would be nice. Patience is a virtue, but no one wants to wait for this one I think, hehe.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

considering Sal said they were already beginning to receive them, I hope its not 4 months before they start shipping them.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'm definitely in for this one. Hoping to pick up a couple. I'd also heard June/July but the SOONER the BETTER. :D
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I just heard June/July from another dealer too, disappointing
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Slumblor wrote:I just heard June/July from another dealer too, disappointing
June isn't far away - maybe soon :)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

bouhunter wrote:June isn't far away - maybe soon :)
gives me time to put a para 3 into the mix, that'll work.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I went ahead and pre ordered one from KC.
cpl

Post by cpl »

MacLaren wrote:I went ahead and pre ordered one from KC.
I did as well, but I'm afraid that I might have hopped on the pre-order train too late. :(
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

cpl wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I went ahead and pre ordered one from KC.
I did as well, but I'm afraid that I might have hopped on the pre-order train too late. :(
Maybe, maybe not.
They said they're usually pretty good about knowing how many to take. Let's hope so anyways.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've managed to get every sprint I've tried for so far -- here's my strategy: if I'm really desperate, I pre-order no matter how late I am (in my experience, some dealers have not filled orders in the order in which they were placed) and then I'm also very vigilant about trying to buy one when they're released -- just follow threads like this one, call dealers, etc. If I luck up and snag one when they're released, then I can cancel the pre-order or go through with it and keep two... or sell one (never sold but one ;) )

Also, just because a dealer sells out, don't give up. In they past, some sprints have been sent out in small batches over a long period of time.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.