paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by wrdwrght »

Sounds like the PM3 will have quite a distil taper.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Omg this needs to get released already
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Omg this needs to get released already
Yep! I see all these PM2 sprint runs and I'm always tempted but the PM2 is a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. So the one I have doesn't see as much pocket time as my knives with 3" blades do. I really like the knife and I think the smaller version will be ideal for me. I'm anxiously waiting....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Yep! I see all these PM2 sprint runs and I'm always tempted but the PM2 is a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. So the one I have doesn't see as much pocket time as my knives with 3" blades do. I really like the knife and I think the smaller version will be ideal for me. I'm anxiously waiting....
I'm guessing that in-pocket it might not actually feel much smaller though...
Going back to Caly.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Yep. I'm looking to collect them like others collect the PM2 or Manix 2 knives. Exclusives, sprint runs etc.

Can't wait!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I see the dark grey of the pm2 cruwear and it would look so good on the pm3...
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpeedHoles wrote:I'm guessing that in-pocket it might not actually feel much smaller though...
It's not really how the knife feels "in-pocket" for me. I have several knives with blades that are over 3" (PM2, Manix 2, Stretch, GB) and I do like and carry them either in my pocket or IWB. I just find that I prefer shorter knives and, for whatever reason, I tend to carry knives the size of the Native, Sage, Delica, etc more. FWIW, the Sages are very close to the same thickness as the PM2 and they do feel a little different in-pocket because the handle is shorter. Also, I don't have huge hands so the knives with shorter handles fit my hand great. The bigger knives feel awesome too but they're a little longer than I actually need.
Spydergirl88 wrote:I see the dark grey of the pm2 cruwear and it would look so good on the pm3...
I was thinking the same thing!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sharp Guy wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:I'm guessing that in-pocket it might not actually feel much smaller though...
It's not really how the knife feels "in-pocket" for me. I have several knives with blades that are over 3" (PM2, Manix 2, Stretch, GB) and I do like and carry them either in my pocket or IWB. I just find that I prefer shorter knives and, for whatever reason, I tend to carry knives the size of the Native, Sage, Delica, etc more. FWIW, the Sages are very close to the same thickness as the PM2 and they do feel a little different in-pocket because the handle is shorter. Also, I don't have huge hands so the knives with shorter handles fit my hand great. The bigger knives feel awesome too but they're a little longer than I actually need.

Yeah, I hear ya. We've all got out own individual preferences, uses, and reasons.
Most days I do the same thing as well, since many of my favorite knives are in the 3" range (*ahem Caly! And now Ouroboros! :) ), but occasionally I won't hesitate to carry a Military or Tuff to work.

I personally think how a knife feels in-pocket is quite important to me.
For example; I really like my Nilakka! Don't really like my Nilakka in my pocket, lol.
If I'm being honest with myself, that's where my knife spends 80% of its time for my daily carry, so I gotta consider how it'll ride!

Also, kind of contradictory, I don't carry my Sage 3 all that often, just because it's kind of wide in-pocket and I have other knives in that size range I grab first. But, it's shorter than a PM2 which I carry a lot... so who knows, sometimes I even confuse myself.

The huge hands vs small hands thing is where I think some people who are eagerly anticipating the PM3 might get slightly disappointed. Those hoping for a scaled down, actual "mini" Paramilitary design might not get what they want.
I have not handled the PM3 myself, so I am only speculating here, but from what I have gathered is the ergos and grip size will be identical to PM2, and not scaled down in dimensions. It's just a shorter in length; shorter blade/cutting length, and less butt on the handle end. So it won't necessarily fit smaller hands better, if anyone were feeling the PM2 handle was too big to grasp well.
Therefore, in-pocket it may still have the same girth/width/thickness. But yeah, shorter so slightly less depth taken up in the pocket.

Anyone who has handled the PM3 proto, please feel free to correct my assumptions if I'm way outta the park! :)
Going back to Caly.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpeedHoles wrote:The huge hands vs small hands thing is where I think some people who are eagerly anticipating the PM3 might get slightly disappointed. Those hoping for a scaled down, actual "mini" Paramilitary design might not get what they want.
I have not handled the PM3 myself, so I am only speculating here, but from what I have gathered is the ergos and grip size will be identical to PM2, and not scaled down in dimensions. It's just a shorter in length; shorter blade/cutting length, and less butt on the handle end. So it won't necessarily fit smaller hands better, if anyone were feeling the PM2 handle was too big to grasp well.
Therefore, in-pocket it may still have the same girth/width/thickness. But yeah, shorter so slightly less depth taken up in the pocket.

Anyone who has handled the PM3 proto, please feel free to correct my assumptions if I'm way outta the park! :)
I agree, from what I've read, the ergos and grip size should be the same or very close to the PM2. I've compared my Sage 5 with my PM2 and I'm guessing that the new knife will be about the same size, thickness, etc as the Sage 5. If so, that'll be great for me!

For those who actually want an all around smaller PM2 they should consider getting a set of Boomer's Lil' Para/'Delica scales. They're excellent!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

From what I've read the ergos are slightly different
Spydergirl88
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SpeedHoles wrote:...The huge hands vs small hands thing is where I think some people who are eagerly anticipating the PM3 might get slightly disappointed. Those hoping for a scaled down, actual "mini" Paramilitary design might not get what they want.

You're exactly right SpeedHoles. When I held the PM3 and the PM2 together I found the PM3 blade was about 1/2" shorter (eyeball measured) and the handle was about 5/8" shorter. The height and width remained the same. The only ergonomic difference was that the rear end of the handle was more rounded off than a PM2. It's not quite as sloped as a Manix but more rounded than a PM2.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

All these PM2 sprints and exclusives lately and I keep waiting on the PM3 and hoping it gets the same treatment with different steels and handles. Any word on when this will be released?
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slumblor wrote:Any word on when this will be released?
Soon I hope!
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I will be soooo all over this.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Very interested : D
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I hope the PM3 comes in an FRN version...
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

From Facebook...
1478971683456.jpg
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting indeed. It seems that the PM3 is getting the new stop pin treatment that the Military got. Neat.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This went way over my head! Saw the picture on IG, and just assumed it was a current model! So glad you pointed this out :D:D
- Nick :bug-red
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Thank you for posting this! Very interesting indeed. It seems that the PM3 is getting the new stop pin treatment that the Military got. Neat.
I noticed this too, is it a pinned stop pin?

Hopefully they'll let us see the whole thing and give us some details soon too.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390