My One-A-Day thread

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
demoncase

Re: My One-A-Day thread

Post by demoncase »

Donut wrote:Nice pics! I was always under the impression that Carbon Fiber weighed less than G-10.
They are a little thicker, but G10 and Carbon Fibre have about the same density of 1.8g/cm cubed.
There's probably only 10 or 20 grammes in it, but with the difference in surface finish it makes for a very obvious change in the feel in the hand.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Getting in early for tomorrow as I've got a busy day ahead:

Centofante 2
A classic from the past in ATS-34. Slim, pointy and slicey. A true gent's folder.
Never understood the need for the secondary lock but it's at least selectable (and thus ignorable!) unlike other recently controversial such devices from other makers out there.
Truth to tell, this is the second one I've owned: First one was well used and I sold it during a fit of spleen- then immediately regretted it.
This one I found at a gunshow (yes, we have them in the UK), brand new, in the white box still in the plastic bag with all the papers for £115 which isn't far off original Uk pricing (My Better Half points out that we only ever seem to come home from gunshows with knives, marmalade and clothing)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Another day, another photo-

Hungarian.

I warmed to this knife at first sight- XHP steel with classic styling just plucked at my heart-strings.
Very lively in the hand with the fully rounded handles- weight is back in the 'cup' of your hand as you grip....That edge came to me frighteningly sharp and retains the edge even on a chopping board- it's superb for food prep being slicey FFG.
Superb fit and finish on this- Taichung are just amazing....Contoured and polished G10 is something very special to look at.
You do need to take half a second to find the lockbar when closing due to it being flush, but it's no issue.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Szabo
Big, huge gripped, compression locker.
Self close makes this more ponderous to open than say a Military, but it adds to the authority of the piece.
Lovely gold carbon fibre adds class to the ensemble.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Southard.
Custom machined bronze scale deletes the liner and adds a nice heft to the piece.. I also added A deep carry Ti clip as the stock one was not to my tastes.
Flipper work slick and solidly. Using the hole works but I occasionally fluff the opening that way. The shape of the blade is subtle and a nice addition to the range.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

demoncase wrote:Southard.
Custom machined bronze scale deletes the liner and adds a nice heft to the piece.. I also added A deep carry Ti clip as the stock one was not to my tastes.
Flipper work slick and solidly. Using the hole works but I occasionally fluff the opening that way. The shape of the blade is subtle and a nice addition to the range.

I think this would look great in a full SE edge too

Just need to make the little cover on the over side from a Euro 20cent coin and it'll be done and all metal.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Subscribed for daily eye candy!

So far, you have many of the models I've never owned or considered owning. I like seeing variety.

...just wondering, are all of these knives legal for carry where you are?
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpeedHoles wrote:Subscribed for daily eye candy!

So far, you have many of the models I've never owned or considered owning. I like seeing variety.

...just wondering, are all of these knives legal for carry where you are?
Lockers are legal "with good reason"
Sub 3" non-lockers at any time without good reason.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Caly 3.5
ZDP189/ 420J laminate is an interesting choice- reminds me of certain Scandinavian blades out there, but avain very slice.
Ergonomically, the 3.5 is nearly perfect for my hand- just the right size.
Carbon grips are a real treat too.
An underated classic

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Assist

This is the older VG10 model without the glass-breaker or the 'tooth' at the tip for 'catching' what you are cutting.
Handle contains a rescue whistle which does work very well.
The handle on this makes it a very big knife- wide and deep. Better in a jacket pocket or clipped to the outside of a belt rather than in a trouser pocket, I've found.
Very suitable for the intended role, it's also brilliant for chopping up small branches in the garden or doing lots of hard cutting without getting blisters

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

PM2 Custom

I avoided buying a PM2 for a fair amount of time due to the amount of people raving it was the best knife eva!!!!1111. (and so forth). Mine arrived wearing the camo scales and in black blade which was a bit twee to my eye. While it is a perfectly ergonomic knife, it simply didn't blow my socks off in the way that others online have claimed it would- the Yojimbo 2 seems to fit me and utility more in the way of compression locks.

The solution to that was to obtain and fit a pair of Steve Rippinger's finely made CNC'd solid copper scales. The PM2's popularity means there's more custom bits available than for a 1911a1 (well, nearly ;) )
I also added a titanium backspacer, meaning the whole thing is entirely metal and utterly rock solid.
This whole knife now weighs twice as much as when the PM2 left Golden- a full 8oz....It's a real quality handful.

akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Thanks for doing this, these types of threads are among my favourites. Nice collection.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Getting ahead of myself again after missing a couple of days:

Breeden Rescue

This is one of those knives that deserved to do better in the marketplace:
It's got all the attributes of a sheepsfoot- with serious tip strength- combined with just a little belly to the edge
Liner lock is surprisingly easy to get at due to the handle ergonomics, despite the G10 scale being just barely relieved
Another solid, heavy, hand-filling folder in VG10.

I'll own up to- in moments of a surfeit of Woodford Reserve- eyeing up the false edge for a sharpening. It would render the folded knife a liability in the pocket though and my head has overuled my heart. ;)

I'd love to see a sprint of this in a fully serrated edge- maybe a H1 in orange to be a really dedicated Rescue.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

A muddle of Matriarchs:

Top is my custom build- a handle swap with an orange Endura 4- I just loved the black and orange look, like a Lambourghini. Honest. The wave is fun and works solidly, but I couldn't say I'd want every knife with one. It does come in handy for opening the odd beer bottle too.

Middle one is the normal M2 model- a really handy and surprisingly usable knife for serious work, not just the intended purpose. Tends to go on holiday with me every year and I did EDC it for a while.

Bottom one is Sprint run FFG plain edge- very slim and handy in this configuration but very delicate.

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great thread. :) I may have missed you explaining it somewhere, but is there any particular order that you're doing them in? (If not, it's fine, I'm just curious).
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great thread. :) I may have missed you explaining it somewhere, but is there any particular order that you're doing them in? (If not, it's fine, I'm just curious).
It's the order they were being put back into the 2 aluminium flight cases after doing a photo of the whole collection....It's kind of random, but the bigger ones tend to be in 1 case and the smaller ones in the other.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Tuff.

Bought for me and engraved at Golden on behalf of my Lady Wife, the Better Half, on the occasion of our 10th Wedding Anniversary. I knew I'd never get around to getting the Tuff so this was a treat on every level.

It certainly lives up to it's name in every respect- it's a big, heavy-built folder but still snaps open with authority. I've not cut with it, but it does look like a thick blade for serious heavy work.

A treasure forever.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I'm enjoying this thread - thank you.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ChrisinHove wrote:I'm enjoying this thread - thank you.
My pleasure.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ATR

Not an original Titanium handle, but the later all steel variant in 'tacticool' black...Always struck me as a very ascetic Spyderco- pared down to the minimum but still packed with features. The standard steel and Ti models are shiny (but now appear to be the long lost uncle of the current PITS if you squint a little!), whereas this 'stealth' model seems truer to the design intent of the ATR. If not more than a little mall-ninja-ry, but every knife afi's got a little mall ninja in them that needs exercise once in a while, no? :D

Lots has been said about this model- positive and negative, and much of both are justified in my experience.
It's good looking, the holes allow for lightness, the 'spearpoint' tip is strong, the cobra-hood makes for a very safe grip and there's nothing new to say about the compression lock.

The negatives- it's a very slim grip with narrow edges which leads to hotspots on long cutting chores- that's something of an issue in a bigger knife that's begging to be used for serious work. The pocket clip destroys some materials and makes getting off jeans a fight, negating the slick opening of the knife.