Any new fixed blades in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pocket Lint

Post by Pocket Lint »

xceptnl wrote:I would really like a Bird & Trout pattern as well. Charles May has always produced a good looking, straight forward, no nonsense design in my opinion. Perhaps this in any steel with 1/8" or less blade stock? I'd buy that and be smiling daily with it's use.

OH ... MY... GOD ...

xceptnl, Those are knives are ... wait for it ....

Waaaaait for it ....

BEAUTIFUL!! :eek:

I especially like the first and last ones. Those knives indeed would be awesome if spyderco made a rendition of one or similar type in a super high carbon steel
JT

Post by JT »

A bird&trout please!
And guys, I know you looooove your special exotic steels and all, but for a b&t to be a user, it should be pretty "cheap". so, H1 and frn handle should be just fine.So, can we have it allready? :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

H1 is not a cheap steel, by most standards. Still, a good choice. There are a number of less expensive stainless steels that will hold as good or better of an edge (in PE at least), depending on country of origin. S30V will hold an edge much better and not corrode as long as you rinse it off once a day or so. even creek water will do. The corrosion issue in freshwater areas is not too bad in comparison to salt water.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
sal

Post by sal »

We have, in-the-works; a Bob Taylor designed Pygmy Warrior, a Gayle Bradley fixed blade, a Phil Wilson B & T, a Sam Owens H1 neck knife, a Chris Claycomb "NASA" version of the Bushcraft model (full flat S90V, CF handle), a Design called the Dutchman designed for Bushcraft (still a ways off), a "Swick" leaf and several Mule Teams.

sal
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

sal wrote:We have, in-the-works; a Bob Taylor designed Pygmy Warrior, a Gayle Bradley fixed blade, a Phil Wilson B & T, a Sam Owens H1 neck knife, a Chris Claycomb "NASA" version of the Bushcraft model (full flat S90V, CF handle), a Design called the Dutchman designed for Bushcraft (still a ways off), a "Swick" leaf and several Mule Teams.

sal
Wow. I'm definitely gonna need the GB fixed blade, Phil Wilson B&T, NASA Bushcraft, and all the Mule teams. Better start saving
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Came across this while searching Sam Owens' knives, so u thought I'd share. Just a few photos, but a lot of new models listed.
http://nemoknivesreview.com/tag/sam-owens/
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I'd love to see a fixed-blade version of the Native.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="sal"]We have, in-the-works; a Phil Wilson B & T, a Design called the Dutchman designed for Bushcraft (still a ways off)
sal[/quote]

That Wilson B&T sounds very, very nice. :)

And the Dutchman Bushcrafter, I'd love to see some blue prints. :rolleyes:[/font]
Stay Sharp!
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Fixed blade hawkbill of some sort, maybe a Kbit, has to have a G-clipped Kidex/poly type sheath. And/or a larger bushcraft/survival knife. I know there are several to choose from, but something more price friendly and more in the size area of the Warrior.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cricket Bite wrote:Since Spyderco dominates all things small in folders why not try something small (smaller than the Enuff) that could be a pocket carry with a simple low profile sheath. Also it has been some time but I though I read a while ago that a smaller version of the South Fork was being considered. Anythink in the pipes? I would sell things for that one.
I like the idea of a small, low profile fixed blade too. (Some of those b&t designs look pretty handy. I never carry fixed blades because they tend to be uncomfortable and obtrusive. I would love to see you guys do something revolutionary in the fixed blade market. (When I say revolutionary, I'm talking about sheath and carry method more than blade design) Something small that really focuses on "carryability". I want to own some fixed blades but I need someone with a better imagination than mine to come up with a more practical and comfortable way to carry. Pocket sheath? Iwb? I don't know, but if y'all can figure it out, I'll buy it! .

I know that asking someone to dream up a revolutionary new way to carry fixed blade knives more easily sounds like a bit much, but when you come up with things like the pocket clip and one handed opening knives it doesn't seem completely impossible. :)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Surfingringo!

[quote="Surfingringo"] I would love to see you guys do something revolutionary in the fixed blade market. Something small that really focuses on "carryability". :) [/quote]

I guess the ARK fit that bill very well:[/font]
:D

Stay Sharp!
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

If you come up with things like the pocket clip and one handed opening knives it doesn't seem completely impossible. know that asking someone to dream up a revolutionary new way to carry fixed blade knives more easily sounds like a bit much[/QUOTE]

Surfgringo, not revolutionary but but a couple of ways I have found to carry a smaller fixed blade or larger for that matter: in a Kydex sheath with a G clip and horizontal position belt mount and cross draw. Horizontal mount keeps it out of the way when seated and is a one hand pop out and pop back in. I also like a neck loop with a boot lace or the "tangle free" plastic line for a "necklace" type carry. This is good when wearing Grundens rain gear, just tuck it in behind the bib or shirt where it won't dangle in the way. This also allows a quick draw if needed to cut fish line or to gill bleed tuna or whatever like that. The Kydex allows a rinse out of the sheath and good cleaning at the end of the day. Phil
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Agreed Phil, especially with the neck carry. I always carry a small salt folder clipped to a cord around my neck when I'm kayak fishing. At a few ounces, I don't even notice it's there. I'm pretty sure I could carry a small fixed blade like that without it feeling cumbersome. A good design with a nice thin sheath would still be a plus. I probably ought to grab something like that little enuff in h1 and give it a shot. I still think I'd rather have a design like one of your b&t for that role though. Thank you (and LC kid) for the input.

Lance