Status on MT-18?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sal wrote:Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
I would say yes - the value of having truly comparable blades for comparison is high! :spyder: :)
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

cough...Shirogami...cough
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think I'd buy a Mule in 204P because I have the Southard.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Mastiff wrote:I still don't care for 440C though, which is strange as I like D2.

Must have been some traumatic sharpening thing before I had any decent stones to sharpen.
I had the same experience, Joe. Had an old Buck General in 440C back in college. I HATED sharpening that thing back then. ;) Wouldn't be an issue today. Really wish I still had had knife ;) But I kept the Gerber instead, which is a much nicer knife anyway.

Ken
玉鋼
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:Do you think there is still interest in a Mule Team of 204P since it is being used in production?

sal
I would happily pay in advance for a Mule in CTS 204P.

I can't warm up to the flipper, so my Southard rarely rides in my pocket, and I missed out on the PM2 in 204P. Which makes a Mule a great option for me.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!! Well, at least 500 times yes! ;) . Don't think you'd have a problem moving those Mules, and many of us have been looking forward to them for some time now.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mainaman

Post by mainaman »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!! Well, at least 500 times yes! ;) . Don't think you'd have a problem moving those Mules, and many of us have been looking forward to them for some time now.
I am definitely interested in MT in 204P
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal

There won't be that "new unknown steel" buzz, but your Mule fans and people who already know about and like 204P will probably still be interested. For example, if you put out another run of S90V, I really don't have any doubts that they'd easily sell out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I would definitely pick up a Mule (or two) in 204P, even though I do already have the Southard and PM2 in 204P.

Do you need some forum volunteers to come help you pack up and ship out the one Mule series you have already received in-house? :D . I'll buy it no matter what steel it is, I trust your judgement :) .

I've been playing a bit more doing some whittling with my Mules, and I really like the Cobalt special, it seems to perform pretty well, and of course the K390 is FAN-TASTIC! :) .

Frankly I've been pretty happy with all of the Mules I have, even the MT05 9Cr18Mo ones, I guess the blade shape of the Mule just appeals to me, kind of like a smaller Temperance 2. Guess I'm just a fan-boy :) , though there *are* one or two Spyderco models I don't have.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
mfrey

Post by mfrey »

I'd definitely buy a 204P mule. For sure!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal already released a mule in O1 - the Bushcraft! I wasn't around to get one then, unfortunately. Been searching for one for a long time, but most of them have probably already been shod with scales.

TedP
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I'll take a pair of the MT14 in CTS 204P, particularly if I don't have to fight through the forum knife crowd to get them!
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

204p is nothing new. I might pick one up but I wouldn't be excited to sharpen or use it like I would 4v.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

TomAiello wrote:I would happily pay in advance for a Mule in CTS 204P.

I can't warm up to the flipper, so my Southard rarely rides in my pocket, and I missed out on the PM2 in 204P. Which makes a Mule a great option for me.
You have not missed out yet on the PM2 in CTS-204P, Knifeworks has a second batch of 400 ordered. No estimate on timeline/availability but you should get a shot at getting one if you keep an eye on the forum.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I think I'm hearing that the mule project started with 52100 but is now expected to introduce a "never before seen in captivity" steel every time.
This seems like a unreasonable goal, because other than satisfying our desire to collect new steels I thought one of the purposes of these knives was to allow comparison on a uniform platform.
For example, I'd take a mule in S30V or VG10, even though they are currently very common alloys, in order to have a chance to compare them to other steels.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

A new steel every time would be awesome! :D
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Henry - get both wrote:A new steel every time would be awesome! :D
It would. And yet two of my three favorite mules are 52100 and Super Blue, both of which have been used extensively.

Gordon
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I would still love a mule cts-204p even tho I have the southard. More mules please!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ferris Wheels wrote:You have not missed out yet on the PM2 in CTS-204P, Knifeworks has a second batch of 400 ordered. No estimate on timeline/availability but you should get a shot at getting one if you keep an eye on the forum.
I'm on their list. I bet there are a ton of other people on it, too, though.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

sal

I would say that there is, if for no other reason than there are people that like that steel and would like to have a mule in it.

As for the stated purpose of the mule program, yes that steel has already been used in production knives, so on the one hand it would not be necessary to put it into a mule. On the other hand the mule is a different animal (sorry for the pun) than the folders and if someone prefers a fixed blade for some uses or if they just want an apples to apples comparison with other steels they could only achieve this with this steel in the mule platform.

Other reasons- I think there are people that would like to have this steel in a mule to complete their collections. I think there are other people that would like to have it again just because it is a unique steel in a unique platform. If you make them I don't think they would be hard to sell. If making them takes away from the ability to make models such as the Para2 that are in high demand, then it might be better to concentrate on the Para2 production and put this steel into a mule at some future date.