Spyderco fixed blade with fire starter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a Spydie fixed blade fire steel combo?

Yes, I would like that.
37%
No, I don't like that.
63%

Total votes: 35

Ol' KL

Post by Ol' KL »

I realize you use the back of the knife to strike a steel. I've used the exposed tang in the hilt of one of my knives to strike a steel. This particular knife is Falkniven F1, HRC 59 VG-10. The fire steel scars the blade steel. I would prefer not to do that with a 250-300 Spyderco fixed blade. A Bushcraft or Mule? Okay, maybe. I usually use a steel that has a piece of hacksaw blade with it.

I'm with you on not carrying a huge survival knife. I would rather just have a PM2 or a SouthFork. The F1 is not too bad. I pack it frequently. I don't like the thought of "Surviving" for more than a couple of days. I don't see myself battoning a cord of wood. If it comes down to fighting hand to hand it's too late for me anyway.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

I like the Fallkniven F1 as well, even with its smallish handle. I've been tempted to get one of the Bark River handled versions, but haven't so far.

Now that I think about it, I've got three differrent models from firesteel.com. All have a scraper included. Not sure if all firesteels are created equal, but those seem to work pretty well.

Not just with knives, I can't think of too many all-in-one combos I'd prefer.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I usually prefer to buy separate items so that I can select which one I want or not. I like multi-tools but I also like knifes to do only one thing. Cut things. I do like how KSF have made combo's of Barkies and firesteels that can be held in one sheath but that is about as far as I'd go with a knife.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

tobii3 wrote:I just had an epiphany....Spyderco is already working with Chris Reeve's framelock design...aka Reeve Integral Lock...Chris retired his one piece line back in 2009...

A Spyderco/Reeve fixed blade collaboration?
IIRC, Chris Reeve hasn't been interested to date, at least on anything he has discussed with the :spyder: crew.

Not that he couldn't be, but that Spyderco does a pretty good job crediting him on the RIL and the other thing he is best known for are his amazing quality specs and process, adding Spyderco engineering to the project would likely leave the price pretty high and still not be different enough to "wow" most fans of both without some kind of new secret steel or handle material made from the skulls of extra terrestrial beings or something.

I would take a 1-piece survival knife from either name in a heartbeat, however. One day I will probably talk someone out of one of Reeve's design but only if fate makes it so ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

BTW, While I like the idea of :spyder: fixed blades and firesteels, i do think that using one of their current offerings with one of the better firesteel makers' offerings would be prudent as in order for Spyderco to develop a firesteel that was any good it would take a lot of money that would have to be recouped in the price of the knives. And they just don't like sticking their logo on crummy products.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!