Centofante Memory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Love it! Gorgeous knife!!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

Excellent pictures, I love this design. :D
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey deacon,
congrats on a great looking knife.
i love all the centofante designs, especially the cent. 4.
this design reminds me of the first centofante model with the rubber inserts, except for the blade shape.
the one i have was used when i bought it, and the previous owner had broken and reground the tip. did a decent job at it i might add.
enjoy your new toy!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Another one for my wish list. Thanks for the great photographs!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
ceg

Post by ceg »

Thanks for the pics! Really 'clean' looking knife...
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Thanks for the insight Paul. It's a beautiful knife and I love what it represents.
:spyder:
Dan
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sharpguitarist wrote:hey deacon,
this design reminds me of the first centofante model with the rubber inserts, except for the blade shape.
the one i have was used when i bought it, and the previous owner had broken and reground the tip. did a decent job at it i might add.
enjoy your new toy!
later,
don
Wow, I never really liked the point on that one, but your's looks awesome! Beautiful.

- best wishes, Jazz.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey jazz,
thanks a bushel.
when i bought the knife at the flea market, for 30 bucks, btw, i didn't even realize it had been broken and repaired. the previous owner did an excellent job of bringing down the spine to meet the edge.
after i did some research on the knife i realized that @ 1/8 of the tip was missing.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thanks for the nice pictures once again, Paul. :D

That blade just looks like such a nice slicer but the lack of any choil or jimping on the bottom makes me cringe. I guess I just have a fear of slicing my fingers up. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it though. Looking forward to see how it holds up to your daily chores.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Jay_Ev wrote:Nice pics & nice knife :) That pivot screw looks like it requires some kind of special tool to adjust it.
Do any of you knife makers out there know the rationale for using a spanner-head bolt instead of the more common Torx or hex? It seems like several of the knife companies use these types of bolts, but I never understood the benefits...

TedP
jonUSA,EARTH

Post by jonUSA,EARTH »

Hope this means they are soon to be released!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The Deacon wrote:[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Any chance of a few more photos Paul? Something like a few "in hand" or working shots where we can see how it looks for size and in natural daylight? :)

I'm really trying to like it and I am hoping you can convince me :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lord vader wrote:Sorry for the stupid question,I assumed it was just a stray knife Laying on your porch.
No problem. Had a few items I knew would be shipped via UPS, so when I first saw the box I assumed one of them had arrived earlier than I'd expected. When I saw Spyderco Way on the label, I assumed it was my Sage 4 coming back from W&R.
The Mastiff wrote:Having knives show up unannounced is always a treat. It happened to me about 4 days after the mules ( mastiffware) were released. Thanks Paul! :)

That is not really my usual choice in a carry knife but I do see how I could get along with the simple, uncluttered, yet well engineered knife. It doesn't have the warmth of wood, nor the size I usually like yet as a matter separator that would blend in to white collar environment office jobs around and not cause panic or even be noticed when used. I can see a place in the collection for it. I do appreciate knives that slice well, hold comfortably and securely yet look at home while at work. :)

I like simple but nice, but first and foremost no matter how invisible it is it better slice like ****! My only real problem with these smaller types is that I tend to lose, or spend time worrying about losing light knives that I can't feel in the pockets to know if they are there or not.

I like it though. It's simple, well made and should work well given the proven design and materials. I really doubt it would cause a lot of panic or lemming like stampedes off cliffs in the office when used to cut fruit.

One never knows though. Congratulations on the knife Paul. Your straight shooting reviews , fair criticism and good photography skills seem to be appreciated. My guess is that Sal isn't the type guy who wants people around him to tell him whatever they think he wants to hear. When he sends testers out they go to people who can reliably spot a flaw and will point it out. :)

The longer I stay around here the more evidence I see that Sal might actually be as clever as we think he is. :0
Thanks Joe, I can tell you the Centofante slices like a dream. It's right up there with the Chaparral. As for why I'm attracted to it, I think you nailed it, the simple uncluttered lines give it a very clean look which I like and both the engineering and its execution are top notch. Plus, it's legal when I head into town.

Blerv wrote:It's certainly a gorgeous tool. Frank would be very proud.
speedcut wrote:Very beautiful and unique lines...Mr. Centofante would be proud of how his knife turn out....
I'm sure he would, it's a good looking, extremely well made, and very functional knife.
sharpguitarist wrote:hey deacon,

enjoy your new toy!
later,
don
Thanks, Don. I agree it has a lot in common with the early Spyderco Centofante.
D1omedes wrote:Thanks for the nice pictures once again, Paul. :D

That blade just looks like such a nice slicer but the lack of any choil or jimping on the bottom makes me cringe. I guess I just have a fear of slicing my fingers up. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it though. Looking forward to see how it holds up to your daily chores.
It's a really excellent slicer. It does require I pay a bit more attention to what I doing than some of my others, not a knife I'd choose to use absentmindedly. Perhaps, because of that, the small Spyderhole and wrong handedness are good things, in that they keep me from opening and closing it repeatedly while concentrating on a movie or talking on the phone.
phillipsted wrote:Do any of you knife makers out there know the rationale for using a spanner-head bolt instead of the more common Torx or hex? It seems like several of the knife companies use these types of bolts, but I never understood the benefits...

TedP
Not a knifemaker, but if I had to guess, I'd say the combination perceptions that it's cool, robust, and elegant, and that it makes users less inclined to tinker. Fact it's available in Ti may not hurt either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisR wrote:Any chance of a few more photos Paul? Something like a few "in hand" or working shots where we can see how it looks for size and in natural daylight?

I'm really trying to like it and I am hoping you can convince me.
Here are a couple in hand, one showing a comparison with some of Spyderco's popular 3" folders, and a few taken out on my patio.

It's not something I'd want to do in an emergency, but I can manage to open it left handed by starting the blade with my index finger, then switching to my thumb...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

More than enough room for a full four finger grip...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

From left to right: Caly 3 - Native 5 - Centofante Memory - Delica 4 - Sage 2

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Natural light shots...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nice pics! It looks even nicer in natural light that is for sure. And it is bigger than I thought that it would be for some reason. I sort of imagined a smaller slimmer gent's folder. Something slipped into a 5th pocket.
If I had the cash I think that I would get one, but I don't...so I will drool in the corner. lol

And I really love the simple lines, no fancy "ergonomic" handles, no choil. Just a knife boiled down an elegant simplicity and then prettied up. Ha.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice comparison pics. It's smaller than I imagined.
:bug-red-white
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Nice pics and a good-looking knife, to be sure.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

That's great - thanks Paul - it's actually a bit bigger than I expected :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Thanks for the updated pics Paul. Size is just what I like, knife is gorgeous and i can't wait for them to start shipping!
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
DRH

Post by DRH »

INFRNL wrote: Size is just what I like, knife is gorgeous and i can't wait for them to start shipping!
Speaking of which ... anyone heard when they might be shipping? I was on the fence about this one. The more I looked at it, the more it grew on me and I decided to place a pre-order. Now, I am hot for its release to add it to my growing collection.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA