Want first Salt H1 knife, help me decide...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

JediKnight86 wrote:If only ;)
Ok thanks for the info! When I say limited I'm talking about mostly bushcraft things. Serrated isn't great with wood, like making steaks or spears, can't do forward angled push cuts especially with the serrations being on the inside egde.
for bushcraft, i'd say... fixed blade all the way. i usually carry a folder (or two, or more) in the bush, but am never without a fixed blade capable of batoning, chopping, etc.

the rock salt is just about the finest outdoor survival knife imaginable. price is a little high, but... not if you're looking for quality, and a lifetime of service. (plus, you should see how easily it takes apart chinook and coho salmon!).

when i'm carrying light out in the bush, i go with an aqua salt. you can baton with it, but not as easily as with the rock salt... forget about choping, but... a great fixed blade in a great size.

sometimes i bring along a cold steel kukhri machete, as well. (no comments, please!) for $20 or $25 (or whatever it was), sure is capable of quite a lot.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

clovisc wrote:for bushcraft, i'd say... fixed blade all the way. i usually carry a folder (or two, or more) in the bush, but am never without a fixed blade capable of batoning, chopping, etc.

the rock salt is just about the finest outdoor survival knife imaginable. price is a little high, but... not if you're looking for quality, and a lifetime of service. (plus, you should see how easily it takes apart chinook and coho salmon!).

when i'm carrying light out in the bush, i go with an aqua salt. you can baton with it, but not as easily as with the rock salt... forget about choping, but... a great fixed blade in a great size.

sometimes i bring along a cold steel kukhri machete, as well. (no comments, please!) for $20 or $25 (or whatever it was), sure is capable of quite a lot.
I agree. I would absolutely take at least one folder and one fixed. I would probably bring a Bark River or RAT along with the Salt, plus a neck knife or other folder maybe. Can't have too many when you're in the bush!
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

JediKnight86 wrote:Plain edge or spyder edge?
Plain edge, of course. I'm not planning on using it for anything where a serrated edge would be better suited.
jlfletcher

Post by jlfletcher »

I have a plain edge yellow pacific salt and I love it. The H1 is really mind blowing, because of the complete lack of maintenance. I sort of wish I had picked up the SE model, but H1 is no performance slouch in PE either.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I would say it's all about what you want, and expect...As there are quite a few options in the H1 line :cool: My 2 fave's are the Saver Salt, and the Mariner :) Good luck :)
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Does anyone have a bunch of Salts to line up for a picture?
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

I'd like to get a little debate going on in here about the H1 steel. I don't have much experience with my knives rusting. If I ever have it it's a small spot that I rub right off with a rust eraser. It seems a lot of these high end stainless steels do a very good job at not rusting and still being hard enough to hold a great edge.

I can understand the need for H1 for constant use around strong corrosives like blood or salt water, but in regular use is there any benefit to having the H1? I find it hard to imagine my stainless knives rusting, even if I jumped in a lake. I'd end up making sure it was dry inside and out and not letting it sit around wet.

Also, besides the obvious corrosives like salt water, how resistant is the steel to strong chemicals? For instance cutting open containers of pool chemicals which can be very acidic or very basic.