LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: LeafJumper

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Leafjumper arrived. This may be my ultimate go-to all-around lightweight easily-sharpened medium-sized daily beater. It’s got a lot of the best qualities of the Chaparral, thin blade, thin scales, leaf edge; but it’s just larger. Thickness behind the edge seems to really thin out at the belly before fattening up at the tip again, very slicey. The neutral personality of this knife means that when I can’t figure out what knife to put in my pocket on any given day, this one can default there without much thought.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

If sales of the Leafjumper are adequate, what's the likelihood we'd see handle color and/or steel variants before 2024? I like this knife shape a bunch, but want to punch it up a bit.
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was thinking Knifecenter's hap40/pakkawood exclusive would be pretty excellent!
Although, what I actually want is a hap40 or rex45/burnt orange sprint of both the Rockjumper and LeafJumper in plain and serrated edges.
Actually, I was just about to ask this thread if anyone had a Serrated LeafJumper yet?
The leafjumper appears to be ground a little differently than the RockJumper. It is most notable in the images of the serrated LeafJumper showing 8 large scallops rather than the 6 of my serrated Rockjumper.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hoping this will be popular enough to warrant a K390 version.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Ordered an SE Leafjumper from Nat Knives this AM. Looking forward to it.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

MagnaJumper!
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Magnacut Leaf Jumper leads to Salt Leaf Jumper, in which Salts tend to be thicker linerless scales. Linerless is fine, but I don’t prefer thicker scales. Regardless, I enjoy pushing the VG-10 for this version to better gauge the design qualities.

K390 seems to be the go-to upgrade. I can realistically see that happening. K390 in denim blue similar to the Stretch 2 would make me very happy.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d sure love a variant, but honestly I think I’ll pick up the regular version first here. I need to recover the slush fund a bit after Xmas, but the Leafjumper looks like a fantastic Bugout alternative.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

As I examine this Leaf Jumper more, I’m inclined to believe the leaf blade is the original design. The flowing lines of the scales and blade remind me of the multiple flowing lines of a sports car. The straight wharnie blade of the Rock Jumper just looks to be at odds with the flowing “jumper” handle. Leaf Jumper is such a good knife to look at, hold, and use.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I personally find Spyderco's VG-10 to be pretty nice for my normal uses, including my new RockJumper, but that's all serrated.

I'm most interested in MagnaCut and if it can give me more strength and resistance to deformation in a Salt. LC200n seems pretty similar to VG10 for me so far and has been rolling a little with the thin chisel ground serrations. Still testing, though.

I'd be pretty excited for a MagnaCut Rock or LeafJumper.

Actually want to mention Spy27 since I think it will prove to be one of my favorite steels with its well roundedness and what I think are probably it's specific advantages over other well rounded steels.
So far, have really favorable experience with the factory edge on my LW Native in the steel.
I'd like to test out some serrated Spy27 on one of these Jumpers too. Begging Spyderco to make some in either of those steels with a reflective orange handle and/or GITD (glow in the dark) handle material, but the handle stuff is just a bonus.
Still think a climbing wall or boulder themed ZOME FRN handle would be cool.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:53 pm
As I examine this Leaf Jumper more, I’m inclined to believe the leaf blade is the original design. The flowing lines of the scales and blade remind me of the multiple flowing lines of a sports car. The straight wharnie blade of the Rock Jumper just looks to be at odds with the flowing “jumper” handle. Leaf Jumper is such a good knife to look at, hold, and use.
The Wharncliffe blade makes a lot of sense in hand and use, but I agree Sal nailed the LeafJumper's blade as well.
I like that the tip is still low and almost reaches forward.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:49 pm
Hoping this will be popular enough to warrant a K390 version.
Yes please on K390 !!!
Dave
USAF Retired
Matus

Post by Matus »

... just a loud thought ... if one would grind the spine straight, then the knife starts to look a lot like a backlock version of the Para3 without a choil :p

Oh, yes, k390 is what I definitely want.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:18 am
... just a loud thought ... if one would grind the spine straight, then the knife starts to look a lot like a backlock version of the Para3 without a choil :p

Oh, yes, k390 is what I definitely want.

I was thinking if you squint just right it starts to look like a more full figured no-choil Caly 3/3.5.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love my SE RJ more than I expected. I am kinda dissapointed by the LJ blade shape. That being said I keep hoping for a RJ in LC. One can dream…
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:06 am
I love my SE RJ more than I expected. I am kinda dissapointed by the LJ blade shape. That being said I keep hoping for a RJ in LC. One can dream…
What blade shape would you prefer? Just curios
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Matus wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:43 pm
elena86 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:06 am
What blade shape would you prefer? Just curios
Something more in line with the Caly3.5. That’s what I call a “leaf shape”.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:15 pm

Actually, I was just about to ask this thread if anyone had a Serrated LeafJumper yet?
The leafjumper appears to be ground a little differently than the RockJumper. It is most notable in the images of the serrated LeafJumper showing 8 large scallops rather than the 6 of my serrated Rockjumper.