Para 3 Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
emanuel

Re: Para 3 Maxamet

Post by emanuel »

Ixstala wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 am
I already broke the point off and made several chips down the edge. Nothing that can't be fixed on my sharpening bench. Given how hard Maxamet is I expect to sacrifice on toughness. Also, I work on metal parts a lot so my knives suffer the consequences.
That's why I prefer K390 or 10V at the same hardness. The increase in toughness while losing a small bit of edge retention is well worth it. Plus, both those steels keep a shaving sharp edge way better than Maxamet.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

emanuel wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 am
Ixstala wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 am
I already broke the point off and made several chips down the edge. Nothing that can't be fixed on my sharpening bench. Given how hard Maxamet is I expect to sacrifice on toughness. Also, I work on metal parts a lot so my knives suffer the consequences.
That's why I prefer K390 or 10V at the same hardness. The increase in toughness while losing a small bit of edge retention is well worth it. Plus, both those steels keep a shaving sharp edge way better than Maxamet.

Based on what ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I know this is off topic but I can't imagine maxamet is worth the 50 dollar difference between the s110v manix LW and the maxamet lw. Can it really be that much better than s110v?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Ixstala

Post by Ixstala »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 am
I know this is off topic but I can't imagine maxamet is worth the 50 dollar difference between the s110v manix LW and the maxamet lw. Can it really be that much better than s110v?
From what I've read the cost difference could be down to the difficulty in manufacturing with maxamet or yield issues.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 am
Based on what ?
Based on my own use of multiple A11 type steels at 65 to 69HRC and Maxamet at 70-71HRC, both used at multiple higher or lower edge angles, and I'm pretty sure others noticed that. k390, 10V, even S110V and other high vanadium carbide volume steels will hold a razor edge way better than a hot-working cobalt rich steel like Maxamet.
Its a trait of very high-cobalt steels to not hold a fine edge for long, as such a high amount of it has no function except to keep the hardness at high temperature, which is an excellent trait for a lathe knife, not a pocket knife.
I'm sure Ankerson and others with more experience than me noticed the drop of razor sharpness in Maxamet, and you will too if you have tried multiple steels at similar high hardness.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

emanuel wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:06 am
elena86 wrote:
Based on what ?
Based on my own use of multiple A11 type steels at 65 to 69HRC and Maxamet at 70-71HRC, both used at multiple higher or lower edge angles, and I'm pretty sure others noticed that. k390, 10V, even S110V and other high vanadium carbide volume steels will hold a razor edge way better than a hot-working cobalt rich steel like Maxamet.
Its a trait of very high-cobalt steels to not hold a fine edge for long, as such a high amount of it has no function except to keep the hardness at high temperature, which is an excellent trait for a lathe knife, not a pocket knife.
I'm sure Ankerson and others with more experience than me noticed the drop of razor sharpness in Maxamet, and you will too if you have tried multiple steels at similar high hardness.
What knives/makers are using a11 types at that hardness?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:16 am
emanuel wrote:

What knives/makers are using a11 types at that hardness?
Two that I know of. One Russian guy that is probably only known for us here in Eastern Europe, and Luong La from BCMW Knives, he's settled on the american west coast and makes affordable knives at high hardness. I have a S110V 5'' full convex utility knife made by me but heat treated by him at 65.5, no A11 from him owned yet. Sadly every time he puts out a batch they're sold before you can blink so you got to keep an eye out for it. You can also check him out on youtube.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Never had the pleasure of using k390 or 10v, but I do have s110v and maxamet. Maxamet holds a razor edge longer than anything else I (personally) have.
(although sounds like my s110v is heat treated differently than yours, so..)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

"" Based on my own use of multiple A11 type steels at 65 to 69HRC and Maxamet at 70-71HRC, both used at multiple higher or lower edge angles, and I'm pretty sure others noticed that. k390, 10V, even S110V and other high vanadium carbide volume steels will hold a razor edge way better than a hot-working cobalt rich steel like Maxamet. ""

I found the opposite to be the case, where Maxamet holds a razor edge longer than other high carbide steels.
This is based on my personal testing and use with the Spyderco models of Native 5 & Para 3 Maxamet, vs K2 10v & Mule A11. Again, based on my experience alone, not saying it is always so. Especially when you introduce custom heat treatment to the factor.
I have read Phil Wilson runs 10v up to 64-65 HRV, which is to my understanding pretty much max HRC for the 10v class steel.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

emanuel wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Based on what ?
I found the opposite to be the case, where Maxamet holds a razor edge longer than other high carbide steels.
This is based on my personal testing and use with the Spyderco models of the Native 5 & Para 3 Maxamet, vs K2 10v & Mule A11. Again, based on my experience alone, not saying it is always so. Especially when you introduce custom heat treatment to the factor.
I have read Phil Wilson runs 10v up to 64-65 HRC, which is to my understanding pretty much max HRC for the 10v class steel.
[/quote]
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I'm not talking about production blades that want to be optimal to a wide range of people, and where optimal performance for that specific steel is not being reached for multiple good reasons.

K2 and A11 mule is ran at 64-65 by Spydeco (based on tests done by people posting here, I don't own any), and mostly because getting it harder requires a different quenching technique, they're scared of warranty issues from users that are not knife nuts etc. It would be sad if a production maxamet at 68hrc wouldn't hold a better edge than a 65hrc 10v, thank God that isn't happening.

The 65 hrc from Phil that you read about is 10+ year old info, I'm sure he improved his protocol since then. 69+ hrc 10v isn't a unicorn, but having it at that hardness from a knowledgeable knife maker that can keep grain growth in check for it to be tough is why you find it so hard.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

emanuel wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:10 am
I'm not talking about production blades that want to be optimal to a wide range of people, and where optimal performance for that specific steel is not being reached for multiple good reasons.

K2 and A11 mule is ran at 64-65 by Spydeco (based on tests done by people posting here, I don't own any), and mostly because getting it harder requires a different quenching technique, they're scared of warranty issues from users that are not knife nuts etc. It would be sad if a production maxamet at 68hrc wouldn't hold a better edge than a 65hrc 10v, thank God that isn't happening.

The 65 hrc from Phil that you read about is 10+ year old info, I'm sure he improved his protocol since then. 69+ hrc 10v isn't a unicorn, but having it at that hardness from a knowledgeable knife maker that can keep grain growth in check for it to be tough is why you find it so hard.
Interesting. I learned something new. I did find an article where a maker is testing 10v @ 68 hrc.

My mistake for the double post, and going off on a tangent.
Now back to the Para 3 Maxamet!!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It's hard to discuss the para3 maxamet and ignore the steel. :eek:
If there's ever an affordable 3" folder with ~68hrc a11 class steel, I'll get it. Untill then, maxamet is my folding king of polished edge hair whittling super fine edge retention.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I'm sure many of you like me have had the experience of cutting open a pallet of water from Costco or other store and accidentally cutting one of the bottles with your über-sharp spydie....
A new one for me today, was opening a pallet of Coke cans for work and managed to cut into one of the aluminium cans with my Maxamet Para 3. :eek: Dang this thing is sharp. Coke sprayed everywhere, had to give the knife a good rinse afterwards, thankfully we have cans of compressed air here at the office so I was able to dry it thoroughly.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm
So I'm sure many of you like me have had the experience of cutting open a pallet of water from Costco or other store and accidentally cutting one of the bottles with your über-sharp spydie....
A new one for me today, was opening a pallet of Coke cans for work and managed to cut into one of the aluminium cans with my Maxamet Para 3. :eek: this thing is sharp. Coke sprayed everywhere, had to give the knife a good rinse afterwards, thankfully we have cans of compressed air here at the office so I was able to dry it thoroughly.
Wow! Factory edge?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:55 pm
Wow! Factory edge?
The factory edge was good, but I gave it about 5 passes at 30 degree inclusive with the sharpmaker ultrafine stone, and then lightly stropped it with 5, 3.5, 2.5, 1, .5, and .25 micron diamond paste on leather.

basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Has anyone seen any of these come back into stock in the last week or so?

They were slowly coming in a bit here and there, but it seems as though everywhere is sold out. In fact, Knifecenter finally listed it as "Discontinued."

I ordered one about three weeks ago from Opticsplanet when they were listed as shipping within 7-18 days. I haven't heard anything yet, and now their site is listing it as "extended backorder -- unknown ETA."

I wonder if there is a chance that my order will never be filled? I've had the chance to pick one up since placing the order, but didn't do so because I thought I had one coming.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Make more of these please.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Baron Mind wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Make more of these please.
Welcome to the forum :D great screen name.

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Hrmmm I thought Maxamet was back in production when the para 3s started to drop.

Will there be more?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives