H1 Spyderhawks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: H1 Spyderhawks

Post by ThePeacent »

cabfrank wrote:Very nice!
Very knice! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thombrogan wrote:Pining away again in Spyder Folderville
Hoping for that orange-scaled Spyderhawk Salt
Some people claim JD Spydo's to blame
But I know
It's my own, darned fault.
Off of a really old Jimmy Buffet Song :D Margarittaville!!! :D I must admit that I had to read it about three times before it finally dawned on me as to what you were driving at i.e. the 1970s Jimmy Buffet song :rolleyes: :D How about this>>>It's a brand new Tattoo >> It's a real Beauty >> A Spyderco Hawkbill Cutie :eek: How it got here I haven't a clue :o

Yeah I probably should get a Tattoo of Spydie >> along side of one of Spyderco's Spyderhawk models :cool: With another tattoo next to it>> which would be a Tattoo of Marilyn Monroe with her skirt being blown up :eek: :rolleyes: >> how about that from an old 1970s radical :rolleyes: :D ?? I know, I know I've been on this forum far too long :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

VashHash wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
VashHash wrote:I wonder if we'll see this model before Halloween. It would be a perfect Halloween carry.
Marketing is a strange science indeed>> so Halloween might just be apropos for re-launching the legendary SPYDERHAWK. I really in some ways could care less what color it is when it returns but I would like to see it in one of the nuclear colors>> I personally think that the nuclear colored Spyders over the years end up being some of my best hard use knives. I so much would like to see the CATCHERMAN return in nuclear yellow in full Spyderedge.

The SPYDERHAWK in nuclear orange & black :cool: A Halloween Hawkbill if you will :rolleyes: I could go along with it. It's probably high time we do a poll on the re-issue of the SPYDERHAWK
Not sure if they'll do a full on reissue but from what I understand it seems like an orange handled sprint in H1 is in the works.
Where'd you hear this? I'll have to snag me a few in SE if that happens! Recently put my Tasman Salt back into rotation but the Spyderhawks are even better!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Great work, JD! Already sang for my supper so it's time to sing for the orange FRN-scaled Spyderhawk Salt (SE & PE).

Had ideas earlier while weeding flowerbeds, but don't know if they were any good or the heat was warping my judgment
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

thombrogan wrote:Great work, JD! Already sang for my supper so it's time to sing for the orange FRN-scaled Spyderhawk Salt (SE & PE).

Had ideas earlier while weeding flowerbeds, but don't know if they were any good or the heat was warping my judgment
Heat???!! >> You guys up in New Hampshire don't have HEAT like we do here in Missouri ( pronounced misery :o ) Our humidity is so thick you need a razor sharp Spyder to cut through it :rolleyes: Brother you live way too close to the Canadian border to have any HEAT problems :rolleyes:

I bet when it's 80 degrees you guys are having a heat wave :D But I guess it's fair to say that the Northeastern part of the USA is truly what we know as "Hawkbill Country" :cool: And only a full SE Spyderhawk will fulfill your cutlery needs I'm certain of it.

Yeah we need to make the new Spyderhawk orange to match the nice fall colors you guys have up there ;) Yeah dude you live a long way from "Margarittaville" :D Also it would be a great idea to have a carbide glassbreaker on the new Spyderhawk.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

It was only 84°F and 90% humidity, but it felt like heat to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's 2am where I live and its still above 80F. Was a cloudy day too ;)

Triple digits are the norm this time of year during mid day.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't go thinking it's all snowy here in Canada, people. It was 35 Celsius yesterday (98 F). The Arctic is where the cold is. We even live in houses with air conditioning, not igloos. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Vivi wrote:
VashHash wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
VashHash wrote:I wonder if we'll see this model before Halloween. It would be a perfect Halloween carry.
Marketing is a strange science indeed>> so Halloween might just be apropos for re-launching the legendary SPYDERHAWK. I really in some ways could care less what color it is when it returns but I would like to see it in one of the nuclear colors>> I personally think that the nuclear colored Spyders over the years end up being some of my best hard use knives. I so much would like to see the CATCHERMAN return in nuclear yellow in full Spyderedge.

The SPYDERHAWK in nuclear orange & black :cool: A Halloween Hawkbill if you will :rolleyes: I could go along with it. It's probably high time we do a poll on the re-issue of the SPYDERHAWK
Not sure if they'll do a full on reissue but from what I understand it seems like an orange handled sprint in H1 is in the works.
Where'd you hear this? I'll have to snag me a few in SE if that happens! Recently put my Tasman Salt back into rotation but the Spyderhawks are even better!
Read Sal's post in the thread. I guess everyone is just skimming over it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

sal wrote:We have the process started, but it usually takes longer than you (or I) like.

sal
If this isn't for the spyderhawk I'll be mighty disappointed.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Awesome news. More than ready to get a SE back into my EDC rotation.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:Awesome news. More than ready to get a SE back into my EDC rotation.
Me too!...yup, those plants need a serious haircut ;)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hot or cold, humid or arrid the subject matter is Spyderco's best ever Hawkbill and that being the H-1 Spyderhawk. Or you could add the VG-10 Spyderhawk as being one of the most overlooked Spyders ever.

I'm so glad that Sal himself has stated that the process has indeed started. It is important for everyone to share what uses that they find Hawkbills to be great tools.

I'm wondering if a fixed blade Spyderhawk ( with a slightly bigger blade) would be a great idea to ponder while we're on the subject.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:Hot or cold, humid or arrid the subject matter is Spyderco's best ever Hawkbill and that being the H-1 Spyderhawk. Or you could add the VG-10 Spyderhawk as being one of the most overlooked Spyders ever.

I'm so glad that Sal himself has stated that the process has indeed started. It is important for everyone to share what uses that they find Hawkbills to be great tools.

I'm wondering if a fixed blade Spyderhawk ( with a slightly bigger blade) would be a great idea to ponder while we're on the subject.
I don't know VG10 for serrations, really, but I find that H1 (Spyderhawk) and AUS8 (Cold STeel) make good steels for serrated pattern.
The finer and weaker teeth on the Cold Steel chip a lot more in their VG1 models in my experience, AUS8 is bendy and tough(er)
The wider, stronger teeth on the Spyderco are really durable and easy to repair in the H1 Salts, but the VG10 Lil' Matriarch seems more fragile (just assuming), in any case H1 is way noticeably tougher than AUS8 for serrations, different teeth patterns and sizes considered

So if a fixed blade is to be made, I suggest H1, and a size between the Tasman and Spyderhawk. Bigger might get awkward IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Hot or cold, humid or arrid the subject matter is Spyderco's best ever Hawkbill and that being the H-1 Spyderhawk. Or you could add the VG-10 Spyderhawk as being one of the most overlooked Spyders ever.

I don't know VG10 for serrations, really, but I find that H1 (Spyderhawk) and AUS8 (Cold STeel) make good steels

So if a fixed blade is to be made, I suggest H1, and a size between the Tasman and Spyderhawk. Bigger might get awkward IMO.
OH yeah!!! a fixed blade in the style of a SPYDERHAWK or even the SUPERHAWK would make an excellent tool for certain type of jobs. Fixed blades to have certain advantages over folders and it's way overdue time for a fixed blade Hawkbill.

Every serrated and/or Spyderedged blade I've ever used made of AUS-8 has always been a great performer for me. Like I've said before one of my all time favorite knives ever has been my AUS-8 full Spyderedged Catcherman model which I use almost weekly and have for several years. If they wanted to use some left over bar stock of AUS-8 for any kind of a Sprint run Hawkbill or even a new fixed blade Hawkbill would be fine by me.

And VG-10 serrations have always performed well for me. Oh yeah there are some that are better but there are dozens of them that are far worse. To get more people interested in the upcoming Sprint Run of the Spyderhawk it would probably be a good idea to discuss what you all use them for.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Large Hawkbill is already being made and in H1.
And with a little grinding
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^That's a whale of a hawkbill you got there ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:^That's a whale of a hawkbill you got there ;)
The SPYDERHAWK is truly a "whale" of a Hawkbill to be sure>> it was truly way ahead of it's time. Not only is Spyderco the main purveyor of Hawkbills they are so far ahead of their competition that there isn't even a close second in that sector of the market IMO.

It's truly not only high time to bring back the H-1 or even possibly a LC200N Spyderhawk but they should at this point consider a larger sized fixed blade Hawkbill. And I'm sure that Brother PEACENT would agree :D

I do think that the style of the SUPERHAWK might make a better fixed blade Hawkbill but I wouldn't at all be opposed to a fixed blade Spyderhawk.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

sal wrote:We have the process started, but it usually takes longer than you (or I) like.

sal
For the 20-posts/page crew, this is my favorite post on page 2. The others were great, too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Whenever these come out one is going straight into my pocket. Only question is do I pair it with my Pacific Salt or Manix XL??? Maybe Chinook 4? :D