MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
MacLaren

Re: MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

Post by MacLaren »

Got mine today. Very sharp outta the box.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I just got mail! Two Maxamet blades made from mules are hurtling towards me as I type! :D
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

You sir, have a team of mules headed your way ...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:You sir, have a team of mules headed your way ...
Well said MacLaren! :cool:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

My 2 are due today. Can't wait to start cutting with them
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

VashHash wrote:My 2 are due today. Can't wait to start cutting with them
Will you cut with both of them? Stashed in different locations? Just curious.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

ABX2011 wrote:
VashHash wrote:My 2 are due today. Can't wait to start cutting with them
Will you cut with both of them? Stashed in different locations? Just curious.
I plan on using one pretty hard. I got the back up in case I destroy the first one. Not to mention maxamet doesn't come a long very often.
MAD777

Post by MAD777 »

Mine arrived today along with Halpern scales & a fresh bottle of Frog Lube! How's that for timing! Now to find my hex wrench...
Mule Team 24 (Maxamet), Ladybug (VG10), Native 5 LW (S110V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MAD777 wrote:Mine arrived today along with Halpern scales & a fresh bottle of Frog Lube! How's that for timing! Now to find my hex wrench...
Awesome!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
MAD777 wrote:Mine arrived today along with Halpern scales & a fresh bottle of Frog Lube! How's that for timing! Now to find my hex wrench...
Awesome!
I've been to the Halpern site a few times but, the images of the scales are plain blurry. I've been thinking about buying a set and wonder about the contoured scales. Would some one who owns a set please post (or PM me) some pics especially a view that shows the contour, ie looking down at the spine of the blade. Many thanks! :)
Last edited by Bloke on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Apologies, IPhone!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Bloke wrote:Apologies, IPhone!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70342&hilit=Rwl34&start=60
Page 2 and 4
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Bloke wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Awesome!
I've been to the Halpern site a few times but, the images of the scales are plain blurry. I've been thinking about buying a set and wonder about the contoured scales. Would some one who owns a set please post (or PM me) some pics especially a view that shows the contour, ie looking down at the spine of the blade. Many thanks! :)
Here you go bloke, flat next to contoured

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Side shot of the contoured

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Thanks a big mob FND!

They look like very nice scales!

Thanks again! :)
Akcir

Post by Akcir »

I have always made my own Mule scales, but I was out of Micarta. Also been spending a lot of time with grand kids.
Ordered a set of the contoured scales from Halpern for the first time, and I'm very pleased with them.
MAD777

Post by MAD777 »

Here she is, all dressed up and ready to party!
Mule Team 24 (Maxamet), Ladybug (VG10), Native 5 LW (S110V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just reprofiled mine on the sharpmaker with the diamond rods down to 30 degrees. It wasn't that bad at all. It took me about 30 minutes to get the reprofile done with the diamonds. I then hit the bevel on each side with the brown rods to give the bevel a smoother finish. After that I had a solid, continuous and substantial bur all the way down one side. I didn't cut the bur off and just threw the medium rods in the 40 degree slot. On the first couple of passes on each side I could really feel the bur coming off and by the third or fourth pass the abrading began to feel much smoother as the bur disappeared. About ten alternating passes on each side after that with very light pressure and it is hair popping sharp. This is the first time I have hit the stones with this thing but so far it seems really easy to sharpen. It seemed easier than my S110V mule which is messing with my logic program. It does not compute. Maybe the very high hardness is helping by making it easier to debur? The diamonds seemed to eat it just like any other steel. Anyway, this is one anecdotal piece of evidence and I will need to touch up the microbevel quite few more times before I can form a solid opinion. So far, so good!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Sharpened mine on DMT diamond stones. Didn't notice it being any more difficult to sharpen than anything else. Later on I took the 'hump', part of the mule design I could do without, down a bit on a belt sander. Usually I use regular files to clean up a bit after this. The Maxamet was having none of that. The file just skimmed across the surface. Had to go to diamond needle files which worked fine. After that I buffed with a felt dremel wheel with polishing compound. Buffing took longer than normal but turned out OK.

I'm getting the impression that diamond tools make this seem like normal steel.. but it really isn't.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Mine arrived yesterday. Nice. Oleg G10 scales and kydex sheath fitted up. I've flogged it a fair bit today in the yard. Cardboard, zip ties, leather, shade cloth, old hose. Didn't bat an eyelid. The wrecker was two old MTB tyres I cut up for the bin. That's blunted it substantially and I now have a small chip. I'm not surprised as they were a beast to cut through with a reinforced edge, I really had to reef it through in a pull cut. Now to sharpen it back up. So far I'm really liking it.