Spyderco Ouroboros

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neuronic

Re: Spyderco Ouroboros

Post by neuronic »

So...

Any realease date for the XL version of the Ouroboros with upgraded steel/washers yet...?

:rolleyes:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I still need to pick up an original!

Maybe in the new year. It's been an expensive few months...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I really hope it's not a one year only knife, really want to try the design, but everyone seems to be waiting until next year
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Guys, not going to lie I got this knife on Ebay for 120 and I was super stoked on it.

Carried it, cut fruit with it, overall loved it. Thought it was a very unique and functional knife for regular day to day tasks...
But within about a month, I went to open it manually and saw that the blade was heavily leaning on one side where it began to rub.
Than I noticed a rattling sound from inside, and have not carried it since... I'm pretty sure it's the Teflon washers. Have been a little
reluctant to contact customer support, but more than likely will send it in (or if I felt crazy enough, do a washer swap myself).

It was listed as brand new in box, and appeared that way when I got it. It was my first Spyderco made in Japan.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

You should send this in. If no one does there's no need for them to consider addressing the flaws in an upgraded version of the Ouroboros.

Also I think 120 bucks is a way more appropriate price for a VG10 blade that runs on teflon washers than $290...
Nate

Post by Nate »

neuronic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:20 am

Also I think 120 bucks is a way more appropriate price for a VG10 blade that runs on teflon washers than $290...

I generally agree with your sentiment, but MAP/street price is generally $188.50. Nobody with any sense is paying full msrp.
:spyder:
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Sure... the thing is, over here in Europe, you don't get this under $270.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm
Guys, not going to lie I got this knife on Ebay for 120 and I was super stoked on it . . .

It was listed as brand new in box, and appeared that way when I got it. It was my first Spyderco made in Japan.
Because more than 30% under MAP isn't any sort of red flag. :confused:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:03 am
Spyderman91 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm
Guys, not going to lie I got this knife on Ebay for 120 and I was super stoked on it . . .

Because more than 30% under MAP isn't any sort of red flag. :confused:
Perhaps you’ve never bought something, didn’t really use it, but still didn’t feel right retuning it, so you sell it on eBay at a modest discount? :confused:
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 am

Perhaps you’ve never bought something, didn’t really use it, but still didn’t feel right retuning it, so you sell it on eBay at a modest discount? :confused:
No actually, I haven't. However, under the conditions you describe, the knife was not "brand new in box" as advertised, was it?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sometimes brand new knives have to be offered at a discount because no one wants to buy them at full price. Usually means they are soon destined for the discontinued list
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

And speak of the devil it has been added to the discontinued list :o
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 am
And speak of the devil it has been added to the discontinued list :o
Edit: Nevermind! Found it. :o
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am
tvenuto wrote:

No actually, I haven't. However, under the conditions you describe, the knife was not "brand new in box" as advertised, was it?
No, it can still be described honestly as brand new, even if someone kept it for too long to return back to a retailer. Not all eBay purchases are defective, and it’s quite possible that a factory quality issue was hiding in this particular knife regardless of where it was bought, or for how much.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 am
tvenuto wrote:

Out the box and first few uses it looked / felt brand new. Saw nothing that indicated otherwise, it was only a month later or so when I noticed that the blade centering was way off. Then came the "rumbling noise" from inside, something seems loose but nothing is coming out. Reaching out to the good Golden folks tonight.

Funny enough, Knifcenter is having a massive sale on discontinued Spyderco's of 2018, Ouroboros is one of them at: $130.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Here's hoping I can pick one up before they're all gone!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My copy arrived today, an assortment of PB washers preceded it by a few days, so I was all ready to swap washers if required... the action and blade play with the original polymer washers wasn't bad at all, but remembering the vast improvement that swapping for metal washers made in my Cat, I went ahead and fitted a pair of .010" washers (turned down to just under 8mm OD and opened up to approx. 3.9mm ID), the difference is noticeable, but not earthshaking. I'm glad I did it, but imagine many would find the hassle to be more than it's worth for the modest improvement.

It's a really great knife in the hand and I'm anticipating it being a regular in the rotation for work, next up will be a 15 dps, 1µ finish edge :D

If this knife had come in at the $140-150 mark I'm guessing it would have gotten more people who were casually interested to try, which would likely have created a buzz (even more so than it did) about what a great, unique knife it is and lead to better sales... but looking at the design, there are lots of complex shapes and tolerances must be significantly tighter than on a Delica or other simpler designs that use similar materials, so it seems to me that the original asking price of $190 was well justified.

Alternately I wonder if bumping it up to a slightly more prestige scale and/or blade material might have made it more viable? greater perceived value might also have gotten more of us to spring $200+ for a knife with a premium design *and* materials.

Like others have said, I'd bet that in a few years this will be a sought after model and many of us will be begging Sal and Eric for a sprint or re-introduction of the Ouroboros.

I'm sad that I waited so long and by inaction contributed to its early demise, but glad I did finally get one, it really is a brilliant piece of design in every detail, Thanks Paul!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Agree on all counts. Suffered the same fate as the ulize: lees about “stats” than a unique design with attention to detail.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 pm
...and many of us will be begging Sal and Eric for a sprint or re-introduction of the Ouroboros.

Aren't we already? I kinda am, for sure...

Spyderco Ouroboros 2 XL, S30V, PB washers, Taichung, $165. Pretty please.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Got one of these on the way!