s35vn compared to s30v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JNewell wrote:...and manufacturers get lower production costs (better finish with less time and abrasives costs). :shrug: :)
Which often translates to a lower MSRP. While that doesn't affect people who simply want ____ steel it often means the difference between a sale to the maker or their competitor. Wars are won $4.99 at a time.

Then again, I don't think a maker would use a product which doesn't perform as well if we are talking 200-300% less performance (which seems the belief of some).
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cliff Stamp wrote:For machines, but not for people, it is an invalid test for that.
Buck found CATRA results did not correlate well to user feedback in the IonFusion line. They then had a bunch of people at work do a bunch of cutting and measured the sharpness at intervals and those results matched user feedback quite well.
Cliff,
I am sorry if I mislead you or somebody else. I am not a scientist, I am an engineer, who due to various turns in his life was and still is involved in various aspects testing and measurements. Never knives, but mechanical measurements, Instron material testing, color testing. I also conducting measurement system analysis. So from my point of view only based on CATRA testing you can do valid steels comparing. Buck tested knives. Also as you mentioned that they had not one expert, but bunch of people, which is very helpful in that case. I do not know details, but hopefully they used some filtration and statistics.
I beleive that we completely off topic. And if you want to continue this discussion, we either need to use PM or start a new thread in off topic forum.
With all due respect,
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

So, after reading through all this, the upshot is that most people can't tell a difference, and the difference I'm noticing is probably due to blade geometry?

Is that a good cliff notes version?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

TomAiello wrote:So, after reading through all this, the upshot is that most people can't tell a difference, and the difference I'm noticing is probably due to blade geometry?

Is that a good cliff notes version?
I think that is an accurate distillation of the on-topic comments and reflects my feelings on the subject.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've got a couple of questions that will probably only show my ignorance regarding steel. If I read correctly, s35 should have less "large carbides" than s30? Again, forgive my ignorance, but ive sometimes had a hard time getting those "novelty" edges on my s30v steel. I've discussed this with others and some have noted that it could be a little tougher to get absolute "hair whittling" edges on s30v because of the high amount of carbides. (Someone likened them to pieces of rock in concrete.) I don't know. Anyway, would s35 have less of these carbides? If so, would it be slightly easier to put an extreme edge on it? If this were the case, I might prefer it to s30v even if the edge retention wasnt quite as good. Ok, thank you for bearing with my kindergarten level metallurgy questions. I'm sure i got most everything wrong. Maybe someone can set me straight.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Ordered a Sebenza 25 so I'll get to see how s35vn from CRK holds up

I had a Native 5 (now my brother's Native 5) and had positive results with edge retention/sharpening. It's been my experience that s30v and s35vn will go dull over a long day's cutting anyway so I can't really say that I prefer one steel over the other. Haven't noticed any differences between them from normal activities.

Really like that s110v on the Forum knife though, that thing cuts forever :p
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Surfingringo wrote:I've got a couple of questions that will probably only show my ignorance regarding steel. If I read correctly, s35 should have less "large carbides" than s30? Again, forgive my ignorance, but ive sometimes had a hard time getting those "novelty" edges on my s30v steel. I've discussed this with others and some have noted that it could be a little tougher to get absolute "hair whittling" edges on s30v because of the high amount of carbides. (Someone likened them to pieces of rock in concrete.) I don't know. Anyway, would s35 have less of these carbides? If so, would it be slightly easier to put an extreme edge on it? If this were the case, I might prefer it to s30v even if the edge retention wasnt quite as good. Ok, thank you for bearing with my kindergarten level metallurgy questions. I'm sure i got most everything wrong. Maybe someone can set me straight.
I for one do not know all the answers but........

From what I gather the big carbide formers are Carbon, Chrome, Vanadium. There are others such as Nitrogen, Niobium etc but lets stick to Vanadium as an excample.

More element affects can be read here:
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelelements.shtml

Edited to ad: I just read the element affects again and remembered:

Niobium (Nb)
- Niobium is a strong carbide former and forms very hard, very small, simple carbides[NbC]. Improves ductility, hardness, wear and corrosion resistance. Also, refines grain. Also known as Columbium.

The way I understand it is that Vanadium can either be used as a grain refiner, or as a main carbide former. Most of the "super steels" today uses Vanadium as a carbide former. These carbides can vary in size (see link below)

Vanadium however can decrease toughness. This affect is confirmed in patent data.

Here is a diagram done by R. Landes where you can see how large carbides can be as well as their affect on the edge:

http://www.hypefreeblades.com/files/schneiden.pdf

If you take a razor's edge can be sharpened to 0.5 um, if there is a carbide of 2.9 um such as in S90V and you do not have the means to sharpen/shape it (diamonds or such) or you go to very low angles and there is not enough matrix to hold it in place these large carbides can just fall out leaving you with a jagged edge.

There is a lot of detail I am missing, you might want to read here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... tty-Gritty

But some questions to ask is:

-With what are you sharpening? (Wicked Edge, freehand?)
-What abrasives are you using? (Diamonds, Silicone Carbide?)
-What grit sizes are you using?

Taking into account the affects of Niobium S35VN should be able to take a finer edge, but dont ask me how the entire cocktail of elements will affect each other.

Last night I sharpened up my S35VN knife I mentioned earlier, the Andre van Heerden M16 folder and S35VN seems to take a nice clean and crisp polished edge, reminds me of RWL-34 on the stones, video uploading.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Took about 30 passes per side on the Spyderco UF stone after the fine DMT stone and here are the results. Video can be watched in HD to better see the mirror edge:

[video=youtube;UVzO_yyAL14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVzO_yyA ... e=youtu.be[/video]
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Gee Chuck, where do I start?
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Image
Yikes! And I thought my yard had gotten out of control....
What did you do to the wood handled knife? It's all bent up!
Much better! Love the barbed wire, by the way. What is that? A prison!

;)

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:Gee Chuck, where do I start?
Haha, that's what I thought at first. I just went with the path of least resistance and came back for the tougher spots with the machete and the sickle looking blade. :)

kbuzbee wrote:Yikes! And I thought my yard had gotten out of control....
Haha...
kbuzbee wrote:What did you do to the wood handled knife? It's all bent up! Ken

Haha, it's pretty good for pull cuts. :)

kbuzbee wrote:Much better! Love the barbed wire, by the way. What is that? A prison!

;) Ken
Thanks, and that's my neighbor's fence. He's been stolen from a few times.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Haha, it's pretty good for pull cuts. :)
No doubt!
chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks, and that's my neighbor's fence. He's been stolen from a few times.
By a paramilitary commando force? ;) I assume there are turret mounted chain guns just out of the picture as well? ;)

Actually, not a bad idea. It's kinda growing on me. Not sure how to work that into our Colonial architecture. Gotta give that some thought. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:No doubt!

By a paramilitary commando force? ;) I assume there are turret mounted chain guns just out of the picture as well? ;)

Actually, not a bad idea. It's kinda growing on me. Not sure how to work that into our Colonial architecture. Gotta give that some thought. ;)

Ken
That kinda security fence is kinda de rigueur here. :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

kbuzbee wrote:Not sure how to work that into our Colonial architecture. Gotta give that some thought. ;)

Ken
Maybe incorporate a nice cornice detail into the razor wire...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That kinda security fence is kinda de rigueur here. :)
As long as it keeps you away from another bullet in the chest incident!
senorsquare wrote:Maybe incorporate a nice cornice detail into the razor wire...
There you go. I like the thought process!

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbuzbee wrote:As long as it keeps you away from another bullet in the chest incident!

Ken
Haha, right. :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

Carbide formers are chrome, tungsten, molybdenum, vanadium, titanium, niobium, tantalum, and zirconium. I've used all but tantalum and zirconium when formulating hardfacing products. In the microstructure, each element forms a different shape of carbide. For instance, chrome carbides are hexagonal or lenticular when viewed from different angles, niobium carbides form rosette shapes, etc.

Here's another good article to add to Zenith's recommended reading:

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID ... =kts&NM=50
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

FCM415 wrote:So what is the "current verdict" on S35vn? It is used in knives ranging from customs, midtechs and on down. It has been out for some time now. Surely we would have more negative feedback from it by now... Oh that is right, only John uses his knives. Everyone else buys knives to take pictures of them next to flowers and such.

Mr. Reeve "had a part" in developing S30 and S35, With his reputation as being a firecracker at times I am not surprised that he took ownership and responded in that manner. He could have handled it better we can say but two other heads of knife companies have had issues with John as well. Do these companies have something to hide? Spyderco welcomes customer feedback and even criticism but even they have had things to say about John.

Spyderco has never once NOT listened to what I had to say. In fact, I spoke with Eric for quite a while this year at Blade about my past videos and what came from them. I also apologized for the trouble I inevitably caused them during that time.

That's a far cry from locking all threads I participate in (KAI), and calling me on my personal cell phone to verbally abuse me. (CRK) Spyderco isn't threatened by a guy with a video camera, and it shows - which is good.

The other companies like to curse my name and try to eliminate my credibility, while simultaneously telling me that I have no effect on their company. For me to have no effect they surely do censor me and discussion about me pretty heavily.

The bottom line is when I make a video telling people knife X is good, then 10 thousand people now hear my point of view. Let's say 1/5 of those may go buy the knife immediately, then another 300 or so for the next few months as the video gains more views. (keep in mind, some of my videos have 170K+ views, that's a LOT of people being reached)

When I say something bad about knife X, maybe 1/20 of them will NOT buy they knife because of what I said - yet the video will be perpetuated and all of the sudden I'm the guy that has an axe to grind with knife X or steel Y. It's just an unfortunate side effect of the forum-youtube dynamic.

Anyway, I think all has been said. Cheers guys.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

w3tnz wrote:To push only one knife to this point and call it faulty dosent seem fair to me.
All of the knives in the rope cutting cut the same amount and same type of rope. Yes, the Sebenza was the only one that suffered gross damage. The reason that this was correctly deemed a failure is that the extent of damage is far beyond what would be expected for properly hardened martensitic steel.

There is no way you could even find one maker/manufacturer to declare in public that what John saw was the expected performance. The reason for this is because it showed an extremely low strength. To clarify I could do the same work, with a $5 kitchen knife with a thinner and lower ground edge angle and it would not deform in that manner. That knife had a severe steel defect.

Now if for example John was chisel cutting knots and the edge bent then you could argue that it was possible that a lateral load exceeded the strength of the steel and it was not possible to conclude it was defective.

To show you just how bad the failure was on the Sebenza, consider that many people have literally done thousands of rope cuts with knives which are much thinner at the bevel than Reeve grinds his Sebenza's and the ropes are much thicker :

This is David Boye who was known for grinding his edges so thin that you could barely even see the edge bevel (< 0.005" thick). They have no issue in cutting such ropes all day long without failure aside from simply wear of the apex.

That is not an exaggerated picture, I have used many of Boye's knives and they can do exactly that.
Pocket Lint wrote:... have you taken a course or two on statistics?
I have taught a course or two yes at the university level.
Surfingringo wrote:If I read correctly, s35 should have less "large carbides" than s30?
Yes, but this is a very small change, you are talking about a difference on the order of 1% in regards to carbide volume (as a percentage of makeup).
Clip

Post by Clip »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Image

This is David Boye who was known for grinding his edges so thin that you could barely even see the edge bevel (< 0.005" thick). They have no issue in cutting such ropes all day long without failure aside from simply wear of the apex.

That is not an exaggerated picture, I have used many of Boye's knives and they can do exactly that.
He might be the one responsible for making all that cedar bedding for hamsters.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

bh49 wrote:So from my point of view only based on CATRA testing you can do valid steels comparing.
The point is that you can't say something is a valid test without saying what it is supposed to be testing.

CATRA is an excellent test for how a blade used by a machine wears when cutting abrasive paper (valid). It is an extremely poor test to predict how a knife when used by a person wears even if they are cutting paper (invalid). It would have almost no correlated to how a machete wears and thus has no relevance to edge retention on such blades at all (meaningless).

I do not know details, but hopefully they used some filtration and statistics.
I have raw CATRA data when you can see if you want. All you get if you request a CATRA run is a simple chart showing cut depth per cycle. If you want multiple runs to do any kind of deviation analysis then you have to pay for each run which almost no one does. Hence if you look at actual CATRA data you see high staggers.

What CATRA does to generate their rank is simply cut 60 times, add up the total amount of cards cut and present a sum. There is no estimation at all of certainty or range and this is one of the most critical issues because people assume these differences in cut counts are significant when they could be noise.

In regards to topic, this stemmed from the claim that you could not do a valid test outside of a lab. My retort to that is that if you would argue that claim you also have to argue :

-until very recently it was not possible to do valid experiments at all and thus no science was performance until the last century or so

-it is not possible to gain knowledge from experiments about knives outside of a modern lab

It is obvious that both of these are false, hence is the original assertion.

I have worked in engineering fields as well, I currently consult in several of them. The precision used and accuracy for tests is dependent on the conclusions which need to be reached. At times a simple visual inspection can confirm materials are not meeting code tolerances. In order times exact forces/pressures need to be applied and measured in order to determine pass/fail. Again depending on the tolerances the experiment has to be adjusted.

If for example you want to check to see if the air/vapor barrier meets required standards of intent and install it could be as simple as noting lack of proper surface prep, rolling during install, or unprotected edges all of which would constitute a fail with no measurement beyond the visual. However if everything looked right visually then light loads could be applied (just by hand) to determine bond strengths. If it passed all of these then it would be time to actually apply specific forces and pressures to measure bond strength.

This is why in general it is often trivial to fail something, but much more difficult to say it passed.

John's work on the S35VN Sebenza clearly showed a gross defect and anyone who argues otherwise simple doesn't understand even basic properties of steels and limits of strength. Now what would be a difficult experiment to conduct would be to answer this question :

-What is the optimal edge angle/finish for S30V vs S35VN to cut abrasive material like cardboard / ropes for general use

The problems you face in trying to answer that are :

-effects of quality of sharpening

-variation in media cut

-force/speed of cuts

-trying to get the necessary precision to even tell them apart (they are going to be different on the order of 1%)

They are so close to each other than even if you CATRA'ed them the data would scatter around each other and you would need multiple CATRA runs to try to see if the differences were significant.

I do believe that these discussions are critical on a forum where people are making claims because you can not interpret the claims meaningfully without an understanding of such.