Spyderco Mule Team MT11P - M390

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sweet!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
gus88

Post by gus88 »

looking good!

ive had mine w/ halpern scales for a week now

just used it yesterday for the first time for real work, made about 60 cuts through 4" layer of rockwool for vegetable starts.
although rockwool feels soft, it is pretty abrasive on a micro level (similar to steelwool)

the edge felt rough and would not cut paper after this workout, but after literally 4 swipes per side on my fine diamond stone, its back to normal.

i will definitely have to try it out on more day-to-day items such as cardboard and rope.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I'm planning on making my own scales, but I have heard differing info about the sizes of the holes in the handle for the pins. Are the large holes 3/8" and the one medium size hole 1/4"?

Thanks in advance. I ordered them but UPS has been too lazy to deliver to the 3rd floor and indicated "customer unavailable" without even knocking on the door, so I haven't been able to measure them myself.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm using three 3/16" (.1875) pins in the small holes for my scales.

On a humorous note, I started on my scales last night - burgundy micarta and stainless barrel bolts. The FIRST thing I always do is to tape the blade to prevent accidents. This M390 blade has attitude! It's tip barely grazed against my thumb pad when the black plastic protector fell off as I was taping it. It made a deep, clean, painless slice - which I didn't notice until I started bleeding all over the blue tape.

I'm going to enjoy using this blade!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

kadinh wrote:I'm planning on making my own scales, but I have heard differing info about the sizes of the holes in the handle for the pins. Are the large holes 3/8" and the one medium size hole 1/4"?
They are:

Large pin holes - 3/8"
Small pin holes - 3/16"
Lanyard/thong hole - 1/4"
Attachments
Mule.jpg
Mule.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

jabba359 wrote:They are:

Large pin holes - 3/8"
Small pin holes - 3/16"
Lanyard/thong hole - 1/4"
thank you.

I think I'm going to drill out 2 small holes and make them 1/4" so i can fit my mosaic pins that i've been eyeballing.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

kadinh wrote:thank you.

I think I'm going to drill out 2 small holes and make them 1/4" so i can fit my mosaic pins that i've been eyeballing.
I use 1/4" Pins in the 3/8" holes all the time. I wouldn't worry about drilling them out. If you do decide to drill the smaller holes out, go grab several 1/4" masonry or glass bits, regular drill bits won't cut the mustard.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Thanks fo the info. I'm going to use the 3/8" holes next time. I did use some masonry drill bits to do 3 of the smallest holes. I like the location better and wanted to be unique :) this is what I plan on doing with it:

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Thanks, Jim. I had forgotten, if I knew, that the CPM-D2 blades were run that high.
Ankerson wrote:Spyderco really pushes the hardness from what I have seen.

Tested Spyderco's that were RC tested at the following:

ZDP-189 @ 65

2x S90V @ 60

1x S90V @ 59

3x S30V @ 60

1x S30V @ 58

M4 @ 62.5

CPM D2 @ 62

CTS 20CP @ 60
Ankerson wrote:At 59-60 it will be very close to S90V (59) and M4 edge retention wise.

That is still no joke believe me, it will hold an edge for a very long time at that hardness.
Good stuff.
dapagco

Post by dapagco »

I have removed the quantity restriction on the MT11P. There are still a few left if you are interested in purchasing some more Spyderco Mule Team 11's.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yikes, time to get off the dime! :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Grabbed one....wish that I had money enough for two.
On the hunt for...
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I thought these M390 Mules would be especially popular. Kind of surprised they haven't sold out already.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
cckw

Post by cckw »

mongatu wrote:I thought these M390 Mules would be especially popular. Kind of surprised they haven't sold out already.
the Damascus and S35VN both sold out very fast. The Damascus apparently sold mostly to people who wanted to make a buck on e-bay because there have been 600 of them through there since then. I am not one that gets upset by that. I am all for the opportunity to make a buck without having a retail store. But I have seen so many Damascus for sale that I am tired of looking at the pattern.

the BD1, Blue, and COS all moved slower. I have been observing this wondering about the trend. Is this now the correct pace or a lull in Mule interest? I hope bit of a lull. I would like to see the pace higher then this moment. I would also like to see more of the knifes for sale to have been used
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I guess there are just a limited number of us out there who lust after the latest MT blades. :cool: Maybe the market is reaching saturation.

I'm sure the Spyderco Crew will modulate the number produced over time so they don't end up with a huge back stock...
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

phillipsted wrote:I guess there are just a limited number of us out there who lust after the latest MT blades. :cool: Maybe the market is reaching saturation.

I'm sure the Spyderco Crew will modulate the number produced over time so they don't end up with a huge back stock...
Might be, though you would have thought that the results so far with various M390 blades would have led to more interest.
cckw wrote:the Damascus and S35VN both sold out very fast. The Damascus apparently sold mostly to people who wanted to make a buck on e-bay because there have been 600 of them through there since then. I am not one that gets upset by that. I am all for the opportunity to make a buck without having a retail store. But I have seen so many Damascus for sale that I am tired of looking at the pattern.

the BD1, Blue, and COS all moved slower. I have been observing this wondering about the trend. Is this now the correct pace or a lull in Mule interest? I hope bit of a lull. I would like to see the pace higher then this moment. I would also like to see more of the knifes for sale to have been used

The # for the damascus MTs on eBay is amazing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

They seem to be moving pretty fast if they don't have many left.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would love to get one but I had to get my fill of cts20cp para2 and the lum sprint. If its around next week and I can spare the cash I'll get one
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Maybe if I start a rumor of a Navy blue or dark green G-10 Para2 sprint with M390 steel coming out soon, it might come true!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Since the Super blue and one of the vg-10 Mules are being used quite frequently I decided to grab one of the M390's. I geuss there still are a few left. I'm looking forward to seeing how it acts. I know I'll most likely be asking questions on this steel soon. Glad I was able to afford it without impeding my saving schedule.

Glad I'm going to try this one out. I like the Mule blade shape :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]