Do I need a Para-military 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Do I need a Para-military 2?

Post by spyderg »

So I've been looking at the PM2's. The one I like the most is unavailable, (Orange cts-xhp). I wonder though, do I need one? First off I have a Manix2 (cru-wear) which is about the same size. Second I'm left handed and I've read mixed reviews on using the PM's lock lefty. Also I'm waiting on the Roc to finally get released. My other Spydies include Farid k2, Dragonfly zdp189, Blue Lava, Native 5 cf and Techno. I'm thinking I'll get the Roc first and wait for another sprint run or exclusive of the PM that peaks my interest more than the ones out there right now. What do you guys think? Any big advantages over the Manix?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
gbelleh

Re: Do I need a Para-military 2?

Post by gbelleh »

I definitely prefer the Para 2 over the Manix 2. For me, the ergos are slightly better, and I strongly prefer the compression lock (though I am right handed). I'd say you should definitey try one out. It has such a strong following for good reason.
:bug-red-white
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I love my Manix 2 Cruwear, but IMO, the PM2 just can't be beat. However, I am right-handed, so I can't speak to the ease of use for lefties.

It is quite a bit different from the Manix, and like I said, they're both great. The S30V version is not that hard to find. The brown/S35VN Para is still around in some places for a little more than the standard version. The 204P and S90V Paras have gained the largest following, but they will be a premium to obtain.

If you can find a brown one, go for it! Even if all you can get is the S30V, it is still an amazing knife.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

1. Every Spydi-holic owes it to themselves to at least handle and carry a PM2 …
2. There are few noted lefties (the Deacon comes to mind) that can attest to the PM2's "left-ability" better than I, but I suspect that given the equal access to the spydie hole and central location of the lock, that it would adapt fairly well to southpaw carry.
3. I would grab an S30V version at good value price and then decide if you want to wait and drop the coin on a sprint … if you don't like it (doubtful), you can easily recoup most of your investment on some of the other forums …
4. No big "advantages" over the Manix - completely different knife.
~ edge
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Yes.

I'm also a lefty and I can operate it one handed just fine. Takes a bit of getting used to, but definitely possible.
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

I will be the lone voice of dissent. Try as hard as I might, I never could warm up to the PM2. It is a fine knife, but IMHO the Manix 2 Cru-Wear is just a better knife. YMMV, and you should really get your hands on a PM2. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you might think I am nuts after you pick one up.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

As a lefty and both having the para 2 and the manix 2 .
I can say you will love the para 2. Now you do not have to be afraid of the lock. It works just fine for a lefty just play with it for an hour orso and you will see it is easy. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was a hardcore Para 2 nut for several years, then by chance one day I handled a Manix 2 (after having owned one years prior when they were first released and hating it) and something clicked...not sure what I missed the first time around but the ergonomics worked better for me and I think at this point I even prefer the CBBL lock over the compression lock though I like both quite a lot. For me the deciding factor is the behind-the-choil grip....on the Para 2, my pinky falls on the point on the butt of the handle, while on the Manix 2 I can get a full grip behind the choil without any weird points getting my fingers. I also have moved away from knives with strong thumb ramps and much prefer ones with little to no thumb ramp, so the Manix 2 wins there as well. Lastly, I'm a big wharncliffe fan but like to have a slight belly for more versatility, and I think the Manix 2 pulls that off nicely so I like the blade shape more.

If all that wasn't enough, the S110V Lightweight version knocked it out of the park for me.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Don't forget you can get the Elmax version from Bento Box Shop for 200 bucks.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I had two at one time and hated them both because of the Compression lock which pinched the heck out of my hand every single time I opened the thing.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Unfortunatley I'm unable to try one out first. No one around where I live carries Spyderco, at least none you can be sure are genuine. No one I know has one or has one anymore. Years ago, before I grew to appreciate the hole and thumb ramp I tried and didn't really like a few spydies, PM included. This was based a little on the aesthetics of the exaggerated hole and mostly on how it would catch on my pocket. However this was trying out someone else's right handed carry. It caught on the pocket presumably because of the coin pocket and whatever I had in there, usually chapstick. I say this because it doesn't happen when I carry left. I've tried switching a couple to see and sure enough some my knives catch on the right but not left. Now to the point of selling it if I don't like. I've never sold a knife and don't really want to. I think I'd rather get one in a steel and handle that I like and keep it, that's why I'm thinking about waiting until an exclusive or sprint run comes out that catches my interest. As far as the lefty issue, I know I'll be able to use it, I'm more concerned that it won't be as fun to play with, I'm a fidgeter, (if that's a word) and I love to flip my knives open and closed. Any lefties out there have some "fun factor" input? Thanks for your thoughts so far guys!
Last edited by spyderg on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Don't forget you can get the Elmax version from Bento Box Shop for 200 bucks.
I was looked at that one, but that $200 turns into a heck of a lot more to get it to Canada : (
Also I keep hearing mixed reviews on elmax...? I was thinking about the s35vn as I like the steel in some of my other knives but for some reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Just doesn't call to me like the orange ctsxhp.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm lefty and like my para 2s a lot, but for the most part I open/close them right handed. I can do it lefty, but it just isn't very comfortable or as smooth for me.

Held out on the Manix2 for a long time, but jumped on the Cru-wear and really glad I did. Carrying it today, have the clip switched for tip up left front pocket. Ergos are more or less equal with the para to me, just different.
:spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

To the OP,

I agree with the recommendation of at least handling a PM2 (if you haven't already) before you make your final decision. Like many folks here, I tried both the PM2 and Manix 2. In the end, I didn't care too much for either for a few reasons. :p For the PM2, I didn't care for how the lock pinches my hand when I open/close the blade. :( The Manix 2, on the other hand, just didn't have the feel I was hoping for (although I've yet to have my hand pinched when opening the blade on my Manix). In the end, I would recommend getting a Military. Straight-forward ergos, easy to use Liner Lock = No muss, no fuss. :cool:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's funny how different everyone is. The Para 2 has never pinched me. In fact, I can't get it to pinch me even if I try. But the original Yojimbo would pinch the heck out of me almost every time.

I would like the Manix 2 a lot more if the lock were easier to unlock. Closing the Manix 2 is always slightly awkward for me. I'd really like to see an uncaged BBL version of the Manix 2. I really prefer the uncaged BBL, like on the Dodo for ease of operation.
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gbelleh wrote:It's funny how different everyone is. The Para 2 has never pinched me. In fact, I can't get it to pinch me even if I try. But the original Yojimbo would pinch the heck out of me almost every time.

I would like the Manix 2 a lot more if the lock were easier to unlock. Closing the Manix 2 is always slightly awkward for me. I'd really like to see an uncaged BBL version of the Manix 2. I really prefer the uncaged BBL, like on the Dodo for ease of operation.
I couldn't agree more on the preference for the uncaged BBL, gbelleh. This is a big reason why the Manix 2 never became a favorite of mine. :(
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Doing a bit of heresy...
Get yourself a Caly 3.5 G-10 as long as they are available.
The Para-Military 2 is as much overrated as the Caly 3.5 is underrated, just my personal taste, of course.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

"Do I need a Para-military 2?"

That is a very simple question-
If you don't have one then yes you need to buy one.
If you already have one then yes you need to buy another one.

Right now I have a Manix 2 in my pocket, the M4 version which I frequently carry on weekends, but I was carrying my green PM2 last week.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I never could take to the PMII
The Military is what I like.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Yes, if they make a sprint or dealer exclusive with m4.